"The most HORRIBLE car rental experience I've ever had !"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 11, 2019
First thing first, Economy car rental is merely a distribution agent and it offered me the car provider namely "Routes"(or acting for both??) in my trip to Vancouver.
I arrived the shop at around 7pm and was given a Kia Forte instead of my choice Nissan Altima (is it similar for the substitution? I really doubt it) in a dusty and dirty condition inside out. I requested to have it cleaned but the staff told me it was cleaned ridiculously. I had to wipe the car with my finger to show him. I insisted on washing it and finally they just water spayed it for a few minutes without having dried it for my inspection of the body and I had to dry it myself to inspect the body.......I didn't have the strength to argue but finally accepted and drove away becoz it was getting dark and I was exhausted from a 12-hours flight.
3 days later, I woke up at 8 am in the morning and found out the car was hit-and-run with a dent on the left rear door panel where it was parked at the back of a secluded house with a long private driveway with no public access surprisingly. Called police but they wouldn’t come to investigate becoz there was no suspect !
Long story short, I brought the car back and they told me I would be responsible for a Canadian $2000 deductible becoz that was the insurance package I picked. I went to report ICBC (the only provincial govt insurance entity in B.C.) and I was told the max deductible for a hit-and-run was $750 and a garage gave me an estimate of about Canadian$700 to repair. However, I found out that Routes didn't even report to ICBC. I kept asking Economy Car Rental and Routes to provide me the car repair estimate but I was kept beating the bushes from the date of the incident on 4th Nov and I still haven't seen any paper as of today.....( Update: The final repair charges from a body shop called Regal Collision finally arrived at $2036.33 on 28th Nov. days after I left the country and just dollars over $2000 ironically. The parts repaired showed LT Front door blending, Front door Belt MLDG R&I, LT Outer Mirror R&I, LT Front door R&I, LT Fuel door blending….I was completely confused where the damages were 2 dents on the left rear door panel only ! And I couldn’t get a satisfactory answer from anyone of them…..)
The hit-and-run in fact was a very suspicious incident becoz of the place where I parked. Someone had to drive to the back of the house to make that happen. I didn't know if the car was equipped with GPS or followed by anyone to locate my location. I never had any proof of what was in my head but I would urge you guys to be 100%+ careful to avoid any possible scam.

I thought I could save a few bucks as everybody wanted but I actually lost a bundle ! My total rental charge was about Canadian $406 but now it became Canadian $2882 ( 7 times+ more !).
My advice is that we all should go for reputable companies with proven satisfactory records.

I will never ever use these 2 companies in the future, period !

Phil Lai
Hong Kong
11-25-2019

May 30, 2019
Sorry for your problems. This is typically a forum for people looking to get consumer advocacy support. Are you looking for support to have the charges reduced?

Jun 12, 2019
First thing first, Economy car rental is merely a distribution agent and it offered me the car provider namely "Routes"(or acting for both??) in my trip to Vancouver.
I arrived the shop at around 7pm and was given a Kia Forte instead of my choice Nissan Altima (is it similar for the substitution? I really doubt it) in a dusty and dirty condition inside out. I requested to have it cleaned but the staff told me it was cleaned ridiculously. I had to wipe the car with my finger to show him. I insisted on washing it and finally they just water spayed it for a few minutes without having dried it for my inspection of the body and I had to dry it myself to inspect the body.......I didn't have the strength to argue but finally accepted and drove away becoz it was getting dark and I was exhausted from a 12-hours flight.
3 days later, I woke up at 8 am in the morning and found out the car was hit-and-run with a dent on the left rear door panel where it was parked at the back of a secluded house with a long private driveway with no public access surprisingly. Called police but they wouldn’t come to investigate becoz there was no suspect !
Long story short, I brought the car back and they told me I would be responsible for a Canadian $2000 deductible becoz that was the insurance package I picked. I went to report ICBC (the only provincial govt insurance entity in B.C.) and I was told the max deductible for a hit-and-run was $750 and a garage gave me an estimate of about Canadian$700 to repair. However, I found out that Routes didn't even report to ICBC. I kept asking Economy Car Rental and Routes to provide me the car repair estimate but I was kept beating the bushes from the date of the incident on 4th Nov and I still haven't seen any paper as of today.....( Update: The final repair charges from a body shop called Regal Collision finally arrived at $2036.33 on 28th Nov. days after I left the country and just dollars over $2000 ironically. The parts repaired showed LT Front door blending, Front door Belt MLDG R&I, LT Outer Mirror R&I, LT Front door R&I, LT Fuel door blending….I was completely confused where the damages were 2 dents on the left rear door panel only ! And I couldn’t get a satisfactory answer from anyone of them…..)
The hit-and-run in fact was a very suspicious incident becoz of the place where I parked. Someone had to drive to the back of the house to make that happen. I didn't know if the car was equipped with GPS or followed by anyone to locate my location. I never had any proof of what was in my head but I would urge you guys to be 100%+ careful to avoid any possible scam.

I thought I could save a few bucks as everybody wanted but I actually lost a bundle ! My total rental charge was about Canadian $406 but now it became Canadian $2882 ( 7 times+ more !).
My advice is that we all should go for reputable companies with proven satisfactory records.

I will never ever use these 2 companies in the future, period !

Phil Lai
Hong Kong
11-25-2019
Was the Kia a 2 or 4 door? If it was a 2 door and the damage was close to the front door, then the R&I (Remove and Install) may be necessary. The reasoning for this is that when they repair that dent and paint over it, the paint may not match and they will need to blend it to the next body panel. All panels that will be painted needs to be stripped of any moldings, mirrors and other attached parts do that they can paint the whole panel. They will also need to apply the clear coat and then install all of the removed parts. Parts such as decals usually can't be reinstalled and needs to be replaced. So if the rental was a 4 door, I would definitely question why you are paying for R & I of the front door.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is indeed an awful story. Travellers need to learn that "cheap" isn't a reason to chose one thing over the other. Thank you for sharing your story, Phil. I hope that others will benefit from your horrible experience. I know that there are sites to review cruises, hotels, flights ... is there a website to review car rentals? That would be a good place to warn even more people. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Jun 24, 2019
This is indeed an awful story. Travellers need to learn that "cheap" isn't a reason to chose one thing over the other. Thank you for sharing your story, Phil. I hope that others will benefit from your horrible experience. I know that there are sites to review cruises, hotels, flights ... is there a website to review car rentals? That would be a good place to warn even more people. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
I looked a few years back after a bad experience in Hawaii, and there was no site, not even Trip Advisor, at which to rate a car rental location. (Our issue was that the location in Kauai was totally understaffed for a cruise ship visit, both for rentals and returns. We made it back to the ship on time, but barely, but others were up to an hour late. The ship waited; apparently they are used to it. The location did not have even employees or shuttles to get all of the renters back to the ship on time; the various rental agencies at the airport even pooled all of their vans and could not handle the volume. The usual refrain was that we were in paradise, so we should put up with it. On future visits, we have used tours, taxis and rideshare for day visits to ports, and avoided rental cars.)