The hosts Prestigious from AIRBNB changed the flat at the last minute for something worse and far away.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 25, 2018
Hello to everybody, that’s my first time here and also staying in an airbnb flat. My experience has been very bad as we had some problems with the hosts Prestigious and airbnb don’t even answer our claims.

On March the 7th 2018 I booked in AIRBNB a stay in Paris from the 4th August to the 15th August in the Beautiful Beaumarchais Marais flats.

The 3rd of August, at 12:36, I mean, almost less than 24 hours before of our planning arrival I received an email from Airbnb letting us know that Prestigious had changed our reservation in Beautiful Beaumarchais Marais for a stay in St germain and jardin de luxembourg flat which are totally different category and, the most important, very far away from the place we should be living in Paris.

The main reason to book the Beautiful Beaumarchais Marais was its location.
I had an accident a few months before and the doctor had forbidden me expressly to walk more than needed (I sent to airbnb a copy of the Doctor evaluation) but those flats were very close from the place we had some professional matters to solve.
We were very disappointed but at that time we already were in France and we had no other alternative than accept the only option they offered us.

But not only they changed a very good and expensive flat for another no so good and at a great distance of the zone we needed to live; in addition, the lady from Prestigious asked us, as an obligation(sic), to go to their office to pick the keys up.

In airbnb website one of the rules and service of our reserved flat Beautiful Beaumarchais Marais says: “Self check-in with building staff” but as result of the mandatory change we had to lose our time going to the other part of the city to pick the keys up. And not only we had to go to the Prestigious Offices but we also had to wait there more than 5 hours for getting them to bring us to the flat at around 7 o’clock in the evening which means one day of our travel almost totally lost.

That change at the last minute has been a nightmare for my family and has ruined our travel because we couldn’t solve the whole professional matters which mean that we must come back to Paris.

I have sent several emails claiming a refund or some compensation but the response of airnbn is …. Nothing!!!

If that is the behaviour of Airbnb when clients get some problems I think the reputation of the company is just a bluf.

Anyway I am here asking you what I could do to get some answer from airbnb and also some compensation.

Thank you very much for reading my post
Regards

Sep 19, 2015
Did you notify airb&b at the time? Did you think of canceling the reservation instead of being put on the other side of the Seine?

What was the difference in price between the two?

By asking for a refund you certainly will get ignored as you stayed in the apartment in the 6th. Also by claiming that a change in location is the reason that your vacation was ruined and business not completed is a bit extreme.

Airbnb is a risk. The person you booked with has reviews for other properties claiming last minute cancellation.

But asking for a refund after you stayed there is too much.

Sep 25, 2018
Thank you for your answer.

Airbnn gave us the option to cancel but we were already in France, very close to Paris, then we try to find another hotel or flat near the place but we could not find anything else.
I wonder what we could have done if we didn't accept the change. We couldn't come back to Spain as our fly back was 2 weeks later, we couldn't find any other place close the area and also we had a child with us also we had some appointment than we couldn't cancel at that time so...

The difference between both was more than 700€ . Maybe to ask for a full refund would be to much but they even refund the difference and I think they should also compensate for the damages.

I agree with you, it could be extreme but believe me, for us what was extreme was the way Prestigious the manner of Prestigious. Also I have read in Airbnb website that Prestigious cancels at the last minute very often.

IMO Airbnb should be on guard against those behaviour.

Thank you very much.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for your answer.

Airbnn gave us the option to cancel but we were already in France, very close to Paris, then we try to find another hotel or flat near the place but we could not find anything else.
I wonder what we could have done if we didn't accept the change. We couldn't come back to Spain as our fly back was 2 weeks later, we couldn't find any other place close the area and also we had a child with us also we had some appointment than we couldn't cancel at that time so...

The difference between both was more than 700€ . Maybe to ask for a full refund would be to much but they even refund the difference and I think they should also compensate for the damages.

I agree with you, it could be extreme but believe me, for us what was extreme was the way Prestigious the manner of Prestigious. Also I have read in Airbnb website that Prestigious cancels at the last minute very often.

IMO Airbnb should be on guard against those behaviour.

Thank you very much.
I think you should have not have had to pay the higher amount for an apartment you did not utilize. I think if you did not accept the change you would have had to find something on your own, which certainly a problem with a last minute cancellation.

What are the damages? Taking a bus to Marais every day? A taxi?

Did you contact AirBnB about this issue when you were in Paris?

Can you prove the difference in offering price was Euro 700?

You do not get a full refund after staying 11 days; that is an unreasonable request as you stayed there and seem to have no complaints other than location.

I have been hesitant to use AirBNB

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Once you accepted the other place and didn’t let Airbnb find you something else(and they would have found you something else) it’s too late to ask for refund. You needed to have requested that at that time.

However we have company contacts for Airbnb on top of our page. I urge you to read the information on how to write and write as we recommend. Let us know how you make out.

Sep 25, 2018
I think you should have not have had to pay the higher amount for an apartment you did not utilize. I think if you did not accept the change you would have had to find something on your own, which certainly a problem with a last minute cancellation.

What are the damages? Taking a bus to Marais every day? A taxi?

Did you contact AirBnB about this issue when you were in Paris?

Can you prove the difference in offering price was Euro 700?

You do not get a full refund after staying 11 days; that is an request as you stayed there and seem to have no complaints other than location.

I have been hesitant to use AirBNB

Well, that was the main reason we had to accept the change. We had no other place to stay even when we tried to find another one better than the one they offered. Then I cosidere it was an imposition as they knew we were already in France. The damages were more than take a taxi or a bus in fact we have to come back to Paris because we could not solve some of our business in that time.

Of course we can prove the difference as the price of both flats was on airbnb website. We have been claiming at last the difference since the very first day.

I don't know the rules of Airbnb but talking about touroperators they can change the hotel or apartment you have paid for as long as the new place is in the same area and similar or better category. If they provide you something worse or far away you can claim and get a compensation. So it's not so unreasonable as you think. We have more complaints and we wrote everything to Airbnb but the most important for us was the location.

Thank you anyway for your answer.

Sep 25, 2018
Once you accepted the other place and didn’t let Airbnb find you something else(and they would have found you something else) it’s too late to ask for refund. You needed to have requested that at that time.

However we have company contacts for Airbnb on top of our page. I urge you to read the information on how to write and write as we recommend. Let us know how you make out.
Well, we did but Airbnb never answered.

I have contacted with those people you have in your website but again not answers. I know is very difficult to get the refund but at least they could have write us an email to apologise.

Thank you very much for your help. I think your forum is a great help even when I realize we can't do anything else. We have lost a lot of time and money with the Prestigious but it's Airbnb fault so never again.
Regards

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with my colleagues, you should ask for both a refund of the difference between the larger price you paid and the flat you occupied, and a voucher or gift card towards another stay for your inconvenience. AirBB is a great theory, but sometimes not so good in practice. People who can be flexible and quick to react are good candidates, but the rest of us, not so much.

Sep 19, 2015
Well, we did but Airbnb never answered.

I have contacted with those people you have in your website but again not answers. I know is very difficult to get the refund but at least they could have write us an email to apologise.

Thank you very much for your help. I think your forum is a great help even when I realize we can't do anything else. We have lost a lot of time and money with the Prestigious but it's Airbnb fault so never again.
Regards
How long since you contacted them? Did you have attachments -- sometimes that goes to spam. Which did you contact?

Sep 25, 2018
I have sent
How long since you contacted them? Did you have attachments -- sometimes that goes to spam. Which did you contact?
Sorry for the delay. I've sent an email on the 7th of September to :
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

The one to Belinda was not delivery because the address it seems to be wrong.

Yes, we sent some attachments, maybe you right with the spam.

We could try to do again without any attachments. I think, I will
Thanks again for your time.
Regards

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You didn't read the recommendations on the bottom of the contact page about how to write. You are supposed to start at the bottom and write to one person at a time, leaving a week in between letters. Your email might have gone into spam by doing what you did. You also need to create a paper trail by going one at a time up the corporate ladder. You need to start over with the first person on the list and don't include attachments. Then move up once a week. This is probably why Airbnb doesn't respond.

Please read this post on how you should be writing.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Sep 25, 2018
You didn't read the recommendations on the bottom of the contact page about how to write. You are supposed to start at the bottom and write to one person at a time, leaving a week in between letters. Your email might have gone into spam by doing what you did. You also need to create a paper trail by going one at a time up the corporate ladder. You need to start over with the first person on the list and don't include attachments. Then move up once a week. This is probably why Airbnb doesn't respond.

Please read this post on how you should be writing.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Yes, you right I didn't read the recommendations because I didn't see it when I sent the emails.
I found those emails (and that website) in September looking for some airbnb email address. Then I just thought in sending the email. Some weeks later coming back over this website I found the recommendation but I thought it was late. Maybe I will do again now following your recommendation.
I'm sorry but English is not my mother tongue ( I'm sure you already realized) then sometimes it's more difficult to pay attention to everything I read.
Thank you very much, I'll do again and if I get some answer from airbnb I will let you know
Have a great week
Kins regards

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, start again - you’ve deal with Customer Service already so start with the first executive listed. Give him or her a week to reply, turn move up if necessary.

Don’t add attachments- it sometimes causes your mail to go to spam. You can add attachments later if
they request.

Sep 19, 2015
Also if you send an email to 5 people at once it is easy for someone to think another person is taking care of it and not follow up.

We would be happy by reviewing the email before it is sent.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@Almudena if you would like to post your email here prior to sending, please do so and we can help you with wording, etc.
My colleagues are so right - we receive all kinds of communications from people who have not been English speakers since birth. Reviewing correspondence is one of the very helpful thing we do here ... we're always glad to critique and offer guidance. We have lots of experience boiling down a situation to a concise list of facts that is easily understood.