The Closet Factory Guarantee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 14, 2015
My husband and I just purchased a home and we're having trouble getting a company to stand by their warranty. The closets were designed/installed by The Closet Factory for the previous owners. The closets have a transferable lifetime guarantee that you can read here (https://www.closetfactory.com/guarantee/).

One of the closet walls has started to separate from the rest of the unit so now none of the drawers open/close correctly and The Closet Factory is asking for a $150 "roll out fee" to come even determine the extent of the work they have to do. It feels like if they truly "stand by their work" (as the guarantee claims), they would fix it without additional cost? I don't see any mention of fees in their guarantee.

Is it typical to charge a fee to come look at warranty work? A photo of the drawers are below.

Thanks!
John

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They stand by their products as long as they haven’t been abused, disassembled or worked on by someone other than them and were installed properly.

From the looks of that drawer it appears the track was broken which can happen from misuse or overfilling.

If you were calling for warranty for your refrigerator, a service charge is usually charged to come out and see it. It sounds like this is basically the same thing.

Apr 10, 2017
Here is what it says on their website:

* Warranty is void if there is misuse of the product, or if it is disassembled or worked on by anyone other than a certified Closet Factory installer. Products included in the system that are not manufactured by Closet Factory—sliding door mirrors, car lifts, wall bed mechanisms, etc.—come with their own limited warranty from the manufacturer and not from Closet Factory. We will replace or fix them only if they have been improperly installed.

Perhaps they automatically charge that fee for any kind of service call and it can be waived or reduced depending on the circumstances.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Your drawers look a lot like mine. Is there a hamper unit below the drawers? That’s what mine has and when the hamper was filled with heavy items, over time, it pulled the frame out of line and the drawers acted like yours do. My husband had to use tightened wires to pull the frame back inline and straighten out the drawers. Overfilling the hamper would be an example of misuse and would void the warranty. Why didn’t you get the previous owners to fix this item before you closed the sale?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
From the company's standpoint, I can see why there's a charge to come out. That pretty well eliminates the frivolous customer with a tiny dumb problem. I would think that the $150 fee would be refunded or waived after the 'diagnosis' of the problem. If the system has failed, they'll refund, but if the damage is from mis-use, they want to be compensated for sending their guys out.

Since we are all cynics and know that the company will find that 'it's not their fault, the system has been mis-used', I'd consider the $150 a fact-finding fee so you can get the system repaired, no matter who pays for it.

I like mmb's husband and the 'tightening wires' ... perhaps he can tell you how to fix the thing without spending any more money.

Jan 14, 2015
Thanks everyone!

We didn’t realize the drawers were broken before we moved in or we would’ve had them fixed!

I guess we’ll pay the $150 and cross our fingers that it doesn’t become more expensive. It does just appear that the tall side board has separated by about 1/4” which is JUST enough to pull the track away from the hardware causing all of the drawers to fall.

Thanks everyone!

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks everyone!

We didn’t realize the drawers were broken before we moved in or we would’ve had them fixed!

I guess we’ll pay the $150 and cross our fingers that it doesn’t become more expensive. It does just appear that the tall side board has separated by about 1/4” which is JUST enough to pull the track away from the hardware causing all of the drawers to fall.

Thanks everyone!
I'm glad they honored the guarantee. In my case, they are saying they can't find my account and so can't establish that they installed my closet. I found the guarantee document and the name of the designer, but they are still saying they can't find me. Very frustrating.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm glad they honored the guarantee. In my case, they are saying they can't find my account and so can't establish that they installed my closet. I found the guarantee document and the name of the designer, but they are still saying they can't find me. Very frustrating.
Did you have them installed? How long ago? Did you write a check or put on a credit card? Bank stmts, check copies and credit card stmts go back easily 7 yrs. sounds like you need to start pulling old stmts from the time frame you purchased the closet.

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. I did have them installed, but it was 16 years ago. I no longer have the credit card or access to statements from that long ago.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Why do they need to find you? You found the documents. Hopefully you can find the payment proof, as suggested by JVillegeGirl.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
16 yrs ago, finding receipts not required too long ago. If you have the warranty paperwork you need to stop calling and start writing! Email Customer service with a copy of your warranty, approx install date, address, photos of issue and a brief description. Read the warranty carefully to see if the Terms & Conditions require you to provide any proof of payment and anything else that you can’t provide. Remember their current T & C of Warranty may be completely different than the one you have in your possession.
Your email needs to be brief, professional and polite.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What I would suggest is that you file a research request for company contacts for the Closet Factory so you can start writing to the Executives. If you have the documents, they shouldn't be giving you a hard time. Asking someone to go back 16 years for a copy of a paid receipt is ridiculous.

The link for the research request appears to not work, so use this page and ask for company contacts for the Closet Factory. State in the form that the link for research request is broken. https://www.elliott.org/help/

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
https://www.closetfactory.com/guarantee/

I’m wondering the difference between the written Warranty @Disgruntled has “In his possession” and the current one that in the first paragraph says the Lifetime Warranty is offered by the Franchise that installed it? If the Franchisee is now MIA then what. I’m kinda betting in 16 yrs the old Warranty is more consumer friendly.

If the current Franchisee can’t find @Disgruntled in their records it’s likely that this install was prior to this Franchisee being in business.
Just a few thoughts! READ THE WARRANTY VERY CAREFULLY.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
When you purchase something for your home (or any real estate that you own) and it is installed, it becomes part of the property. You need to keep all these kinds of records safe if you expect a company to honor its warranty from many years ago. Sixteen years ago they were probably just starting to use computers for inventory and installation control and they may not have done such a good job, so the owner's paperwork is important. I hope you are successful getting this repaired.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
ADVOCATE ADVICE
When you purchase something for your home (or any real estate that you own) and it is installed, it becomes part of the property. You need to keep all these kinds of records safe if you expect a company to honor its warranty from many years ago. Sixteen years ago they were probably just starting to use computers for inventory and installation control and they may not have done such a good job, so the owner's paperwork is important. I hope you are successful getting this repaired.
But in realty who has room to hold receipts from
16 years ago? I guess this is a good lesson to keep everything.

I think Jville has the clue- the writer needs to go back to the franchise.