Thankyou rewards and Amazon

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 14, 2020
I am unable to link my Citibank MasterCard to my Amazon account and I can't redeem Thankyou points to pay for Amazon orders. I have been trying to get Citibank to resolve this for almost 5 months and now they are not returning my phone calls or acknowledging my emails.

Mar 23, 2015
you're going to need to provide more detail than that. Is the issue on Amazon's in? Is the issue on Citibanks and? What's the error what's the problem? Is it coming up as an invalid account? Are they unable to validate ownership of the account? Have you tried chatting with Amazon representatives to see if they can help resolve the issue?

Jan 14, 2020
When I try to enroll my card at Amazon, I get the following message: "Citi reports that you are not authorized to redeem points on this account, so we're unable to register you for Shop with Points. Please contact Citi at 1-800-THANKYOU (1-800-842-6596) if you have any questions."

I have contacted Citi Thankyou support at the above number and they were unable to accomplish anything. After 3 months of trying, I sent an Email that ended up with Citi's Executive Response team. My last communication from this group was December 20 when they emailed me saying they had not yet been able to resolve this problem. Since that time, I have sent two additional e-mails which have not even been acknowledged. I have also made 7 phone calls (including 1 today) to my "alleged" contact and each call has gone into voice mail with no return call. Amazon says it's a Citi issue (see quote above).

Obviously, my Thankyou account has some validity, because I continue to accumulate points when I use the associated card.

Apr 3, 2016
You can use the points for lots of other things including many different gift cards. If there ia a problem using it on Amazon, you could just use them for other things.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So ...... you want to enroll a credit card with Amazon and earn points for your purchases? And your Citi card cannot be enrolled and nobody at Citi nor Amazon knows why? Amazon does not have a problem with your account? Is that your situation?

If Citi cannot tell you why your card doesn't work with Amazon, you need to cancel it and get a CC from another bank. Banks want you to be using your card as often as possible. If Citi can't or won't solve this problem, there's something weird going on here. It makes no sense that they can't find and fix whatever the problem is.

Apr 3, 2016
So ...... you want to enroll a credit card with Amazon and earn points for your purchases? And your Citi card cannot be enrolled and nobody at Citi nor Amazon knows why? Amazon does not have a problem with your account? Is that your situation?

If Citi cannot tell you why your card doesn't work with Amazon, you need to cancel it and get a CC from another bank. Banks want you to be using your card as often as possible. If Citi can't or won't solve this problem, there's something weird going on here. It makes no sense that they can't find and fix whatever the problem is.
I think you have it backwards. They seem to want to link their Amazon account to the CC to be able to use points on the credit card to buy things on Amazon (so redeem points on Amazon, not earn them by using the CC on Amazon to charge things.).

Jan 14, 2020
I think you have it backwards. They seem to want to link their Amazon account to the CC to be able to use points on the credit card to buy things on Amazon (so redeem points on Amazon, not earn them by using the CC on Amazon to charge things.).
You are correct. We want to use our Thankyou points for Amazon purchases.

Mar 23, 2015
Unfortunately, this sounds like a technical support issue more than an issue of consumer advocacy. You've already done what I think most of us would have advised, which is first calling and then emailing the support team, escalating each time. I'd give emailing one more shot, and then accepting that for *whatever reason* it simply isn't going to work, and choose another vendor. BTW, if you google, you'll find that there are better options than Amazon.