Tesla Solar System

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 21, 2019
I was reviewing the Solar City contract agreement and I had a few questions and concerns about the Solar Lease. On page one under Solar City's Promises to you, it states that "Solar City will provide a money-back production guarantee, as specified in the agreement", (pg 1). Under Exhibit 2,(a) Performance Guarantee and Limited Warranty, Power Production Guarantee, Solar City guarantees that during the Lease Term the System will generate Kilowatt-hours (kWh) as set forth in the table below and calculated as follows, calculate the guaranteed amount of kWh for an applicable two-year period ("Guaranteed kWh") we will take the applicable year's Total kWh in the chart below minus the Total kWh from two years prior, also as indicated in the chart below:." (Pg 17/18) My contract with Solar City began on 6/4/2014; however, I was not informed by Solar City nor TESLA whether or not I qualified for a refund if my kWh usage, was below the Guaranteed kWh, for years 2016, and year 2018. Please advise if I had an overage or shortage during the past four years.

In situations like this, most companies either offer a refund immediately, or they do not charge the customer if their equipment is working properly. I went without service for approximately 9 months, and to make matters worse, TESLA allowed PG&E to charge me for electricity during the period of 8/28/2019 thru 05/03/2019, at a higher rate than TESLA Solar would have charged for the service. In addition to my having to continue paying $103.53 per month for leasing a system that didn't work. Now TESLA want me to wait until September 2020 to find out if I qualify for a refund, and will not specify how much I will receive, if I receive anything.

In closing, under Under Exhibit 2, Performance Guarantee and Limited Warranty, Power Production Guarantee, Under Exhibit 2,(c) and (B) (pg 18) If at the end of each successive (24) month anniversary of your first monthly payment the Actual kWh is greater than the Guaranteed kWh during any (24) month period, this surplus will be carried over and will be used to offset any deficits that may occur in the future". Please advise if I qualified for a surplus under these terms since my contract began on 6/4/2014.

Sincerely,

Janie Johnson

Aug 21, 2019
Did you ask Tesla? They don’t read these forums.
Yes, I did ask Tesla. My local gas and electric company (PG&E) is charging me $1,437 for electricity for the past 9 months due to my solar equipment not working. Tesla Solar was suppose to have supplied the electricity, Due to the malfunction solar equipment; PG&E supplied electricity to my home at a higher rate than Tesla, without my knowledge, until I received the high electricity bill last week. I contacted Tesla and asked the company to reimburse me for the $1,437 electricity charges, and was informed that "If I was owed a refund I would receive it until September 2020". I was told my (kWh)had to be evaluated for the past 2 years, before I find out if I was entitled to a refund. My solar contract began with Solar City on 6/4/2014, and last year Tesla purchased Solar City.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We don’t have contacts for Tesla you’ll need to write to them.

Please complete this request for contact to and once you have them, this is how to write :

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

By the way, there was a story in our local news that Walmart is suing Tesla because the solar panels they have put on store have burst into flames and burned the stores.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.w...-solar-panel-fires-its-stores/?outputType=amp

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I have shiny new Tesla Solar panels installed in April with a 20 yr maintenance agreement. Why did it take 9 months to get your panels/system repaired?

Aug 21, 2019
We don’t have contacts for Tesla you’ll need to write to them.

Please complete this request for contact to and once you have them, this is how to write :

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

By the way, there was a story in our local news that Walmart is suing Tesla because the solar panels they have put on store have burst into flames and burned the stores.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/08/20/walmart-sues-tesla-over-string-solar-panel-fires-its-stores/?outputType=amp
Good morning Neil, I completed the request for contact form. I was unable to locate any contact information on the CEO or other official; however, I was able to provide information for the customer service representatives who emailed me in reference to my complaint. I saw on my local news about Tesla's solar panels that burned the roofs of 7 Wal-Mart stores.

Jan 6, 2015
Good morning Neil, I completed the request for contact form. I was unable to locate any contact information on the CEO or other official; however, I was able to provide information for the customer service representatives who emailed me in reference to my complaint. I saw on my local news about Tesla's solar panels that burned the roofs of 7 Wal-Mart stores.
Did you see the Tesla contacts in post #5 above?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/tesla/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, I did ask Tesla. My local gas and electric company (PG&E) is charging me $1,437 for electricity for the past 9 months due to my solar equipment not working. Tesla Solar was suppose to have supplied the electricity, Due to the malfunction solar equipment; PG&E supplied electricity to my home at a higher rate than Tesla, without my knowledge, until I received the high electricity bill last week. I contacted Tesla and asked the company to reimburse me for the $1,437 electricity charges, and was informed that "If I was owed a refund I would receive it until September 2020". I was told my (kWh)had to be evaluated for the past 2 years, before I find out if I was entitled to a refund. My solar contract began with Solar City on 6/4/2014, and last year Tesla purchased Solar City.[/Q
I don't understand why it took 9 months to notice the higher charges. Is Tesla now in the process of evaluating your kWh usage over the past two years? If your equipment had not malfunctioned, what would be an estimate of your kWh usage?

Aug 21, 2019
Dear Mr. Chris Elliott,
I received my monthly PG&E statement on 9/17/2019, and the amount due is $01.85. The gas portion of my bill was $43.04, and the energy "NEM" charges were $1321.33. I am currently enrolled in the Tesla Solar System program, which provides my electrical energy. The reason for the high PG&E bill is due to my solar panel system stopped working on 8/22/2018 and not being restored completely until 5/3/2019. PG&E is billing me for Tesla default on not covering my electrical energy even though I was paying Tesla $103.22 monthly during the period my system was not working. I spoke with a customer service rep from Tesla a few minutes ago, and was advised that I would qualify for a refund under my contract for the system not functioning since 8/2018, in September 2020. I do not have $1401.85 to pay PG&E by the due date which is 9/4/2019. PLEASE HELP!! I will forward you some of the communication emails I received from TESLA shortly. Some communications were via text, which I no longer have, because I recently purchased another cell phone. P.S. You've helped me before and it was a success!
Sincerely,
Janie Johnson

Edited by a moderator to move this post and posts below to existing thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 30, 2018
You narrative is a bit hard to follow. Allow me to attempt to clarify :
*Your solar system stopped working in 8/2018 and so you were being charged for the electric services by PG&E until it was repaired in 5/2019?
* Whilst the solar was not working, Tesla was supposed to pay for the electric service from PG&E? *You just spoke with a Tesla rep who said they would refund these charges but not until 9/2020?

Why won't they refund the charges now, instead of a year from now? If you can't pay the entire amount of the bill, you should contact PG&E to set up a payment plan whilst you sort out getting a refund from Tesla.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"I received my monthly PG&E statement on 9/17/2019, and the amount due is $01.85 ". This does not make sense. Number one, 9/17/2019 is in the future. Number two, you state your bill is for $01.85 yet you talk about an amount of "$1401.85 ". You then state "I would qualify for a refund under my contract for the system not functioning since 8/2018, in September 2020. "

Please rewrite your post and clarify exactly what dollar amounts you are talking about and what dates are relevant.

You posted on August 21, 2019 about this same issue. Did you contact Tesla per the suggestions made in response to that post? The two posts together are very confusing.

Aug 21, 2019
You narrative is a bit hard to follow. Allow me to attempt to clarify :
*Your solar system stopped working in 8/2018 and so you were being charged for the electric services by PG&E until it was repaired in 5/2019?
* Whilst the solar was not working, Tesla was supposed to pay for the electric service from PG&E? *You just spoke with a Tesla rep who said they would refund these charges but not until 9/2020?

Why won't they refund the charges now, instead of a year from now? If you can't pay the entire amount of the bill, you should contact PG&E to set up a payment plan whilst you sort out getting a refund from Tesla.
Good morning Billy,

Your comments regarding my Tesla solar system problem is correct. I apologize for not clearly stating the problem.

Aug 21, 2019
"I received my monthly PG&E statement on 9/17/2019, and the amount due is $01.85 ". This does not make sense. Number one, 9/17/2019 is in the future. Number two, you state your bill is for $01.85 yet you talk about an amount of "$1401.85 ". You then state "I would qualify for a refund under my contract for the system not functioning since 8/2018, in September 2020. "

Please rewrite your post and clarify exactly what dollar amounts you are talking about and what dates are relevant.

You posted on August 21, 2019 about this same issue. Did you contact Tesla per the suggestions made in response to that post? The two posts together are very confusing.
I apologize for not having clarity in my previous statement regarding my Tesla solar system. Here is a more clear statement regarding the problem. My solar system stopped working in 8/2018 and I charged for the electric services by PG&E until it was repaired in 5/2019?
* Whilst the solar was not working, Tesla was supposed to pay for the electric service from PG&E; however, since they didn't I was charged a higher fee for the service, by PG&E than I would have paid to Tesla. I spoke with a Tesla rep two weeks ago who said they would refund these charges (if the charges were less than the allotted (kHw) for my service), but not until 9/2020? I hope this clarifies the problem more efficiently.

The Solar rep informed me that per their policy agreement, they are unable to refund the charges now, due to their two year assessment of (kHw) usage. The next evaluation will be in September 2020. I contacted PG&E immediately after I received my August 2019 bill and informed them that I couldn't pay the entire amount of the bill; and PG&E to set up a payment plan until I sorted out how I soon I could get a refund from Tesla.
I hope this clarifies the problem more efficiently.