Terrible Experiences long term

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2018
I’ve been having problems will my mobile device speed and reliability since I changed to AT&T in 2008. I’ve also been having problems with my U-verse service since installed in 2011. Have had equipment replaced multiple timed. Had my IT friend over who fixed everything and this is what he found (which I’ve sent to AT&T via chat and multiple phone calls...):

“AT&T network problems

I got my problem fixed in less than 30 minutes by a systems analysis expert friend.
Here were the problems:
-UNSECURE network
-5G DISABLED
-2 of my neighbors were set up correctly
-Eliminated interference/conflicts with neighbors UNSECURED networks
-Confusing network name
-Needed WiFi extender

Please forward this to Customer Care if you are able. I am VERY unhappy with my service and care.
Cox is offering a very nice deal for MUCH less cost and triple the speed.”

Once I got a supervisor on the phone, he “put me on hold to review my case”, but actually transferred me to the wrong department. That department said a supervisor would be calling me right back. That was yesterday afternoon.

I have some “paper trail” over the years, but it is incomplete. Recent health issues have temporarily damaged my short term memory. I couldn’t even use my phone to call family during a recent ER visit. Very scary.

What's your desired resolution? I think I deserve, at mimimum, a sincere apology (unsecured network! Yikes!), and a GREATLY reduced bill for a significant length of time. I don’t want new services or a change in service now that I had a friend fix it for me.

Mar 14, 2018
I’ve been having problems will my mobile device speed and reliability since I changed to AT&T in 2008. I’ve also been having problems with my U-verse service since installed in 2011. Have had equipment replaced multiple timed. Had my IT friend over who fixed everything and this is what he found (which I’ve sent to AT&T via chat and multiple phone calls...):

“AT&T network problems

I got my problem fixed in less than 30 minutes by a systems analysis expert friend.
Here were the problems:
-UNSECURE network
-5G DISABLED
-2 of my neighbors were set up correctly
-Eliminated interference/conflicts with neighbors UNSECURED networks
-Confusing network name
-Needed WiFi extender

Please forward this to Customer Care if you are able. I am VERY unhappy with my service and care.
Cox is offering a very nice deal for MUCH less cost and triple the speed.”

Once I got a supervisor on the phone, he “put me on hold to review my case”, but actually transferred me to the wrong department. That department said a supervisor would be calling me right back. That was yesterday afternoon.

I have some “paper trail” over the years, but it is incomplete. Recent health issues have temporarily damaged my short term memory. I couldn’t even use my phone to call family during a recent ER visit. Very scary.

What's your desired resolution? I think I deserve, at mimimum, a sincere apology (unsecured network! Yikes!), and a GREATLY reduced bill for a significant length of time. I don’t want new services or a change in service now that I had a friend fix it for me.

Of the things you listed, the need for a wifi extender is the most likely thing to have caused your speed and reliability problem. ATT is not responsible for that--They only support the Uverse gateway and its included wifi.

If your wifi didn't have a password, that's definitely an issue. ATT routers come with a wifi password by default so either you or the installer would have had to disable it. But I doubt that would have caused your performance problems.

Jun 10, 2018
Unfortunately, I tried that a few years ago and didn’t get any real help. I have a lot more data to share, but my current health issues can interfere with cognitive function, spelling, etc. I’m probably not the best to advocate for myself at this point.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, I tried that a few years ago and didn’t get any real help. I have a lot more data to share, but my current health issues can interfere with cognitive function, spelling, etc. I’m probably not the best to advocate for myself at this point.
We cannot take your case until you follow the process we have here which I posted. You need to use our company contacts and start writing, with Customer Service first and giving th a week to reply. If they don’t reply or say no after a week, you write to the first executive shown. Repeat weekly until you have gone to the CEO.

If you get all the way to the CEO and don’t get help- then report back here and we will tell you the next steps.

You have to go all our steps for fixing it yourself first. These steps usually get the problem resolved. Save all correspondence because if one of the writers takes your case, they will need all correspondance.

We teach you how to try to solve it first before we get involved.

But SMD gave you great advice- you might need a booster in your house to fix the problem which you would have to provide.

Mar 14, 2018
Ok, I understand. I’ll see if a friend or neighbor can help me. So far, I’ve had no luck.
I know this is unusual for this forum, but my advice is to put this behind you. Based on what your IT friend told you, your problems were with your home wifi network--not with ATT's Uverse service. You did exactly the right thing when you got your technical friend to fix it for you, as this network is your responsibility.

If you pursue this with ATT, you are likely to get an insincere apology and maybe a small bill credit as a goodwill gesture. I doubt ATT will give you more as it doesn''t look like they were responsible for your issues.

You need to decide if this outcome is worth the time and effort of mounting a letter writing campaign.

Jun 10, 2018
I know this is unusual for this forum, but my advice is to put this behind you. Based on what your IT friend told you, your problems were with your home wifi network--not with ATT's Uverse service. You did exactly the right thing when you got your technical friend to fix it for you, as this network is your responsibility.

If you pursue this with ATT, you are likely to get an insincere apology and maybe a small bill credit as a goodwill gesture. I doubt ATT will give you more as it doesn''t look like they were responsible for your issues.

You need to decide if this outcome is worth the time and effort of mounting a letter writing campaign.
Actually they were quite responsible as it was set up both incorrectly and was unsecure. I’ve had multiple tech visits over the years that were unsuccessful in fixing my speed problems, and the equipment was replaced and rewired several times. The lack of a secure network for potentially years is quite scary!
And you are correct- I probably shouldn’t waste any more time with them since my friend fixed all of the problems they created and/or failed to resolve.
Thank you!

Jun 10, 2018
If you have a friend that is an IT expert- what was his suggestion on how to correct the problem? He might be the one to help you craft a letter.
He fixed all the problems! Had a fun time doing it while I gabbed with his wife. And one of my cats climbed in his bag of gear and tried to leave with them!

I raised both of their cats as foster kittens, and am close friends with the family.
It was a great excuse to get together!
He offered to have AT&T call and discuss the issues, and they have his contact number via two routes in which I sent my concerns.

Also, a different supervisor was supposed to have already called me when the first one quite rudely transferred me when he said he would but me on hold to review my case.

The very kind person a spoke with next was quite confused as to why I was transferred.... And offered to have a supervisor review my case and call back that day.

Oh well.

Jun 10, 2018
Of the things you listed, the need for a wifi extender is the most likely thing to have caused your speed and reliability problem. ATT is not responsible for that--They only support the Uverse gateway and its included wifi.

If your wifi didn't have a password, that's definitely an issue. ATT routers come with a wifi password by default so either you or the installer would have had to disable it. But I doubt that would have caused your performance problems.
It had a password! But all the AT&T networks in my vicinity, including mind, were unsecured network per my systems analyst friend.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also, my house is one level and less than 1000 square feet.... The WiFi signal was only strong in one room in my house.
That’s why you might need a booster. If you have things preventing a strong signal
from reaching the whole house, a booster might help. I can’t use my own cell phone in the house and neither can my wife. We lose the signal and have to go outside to talk.

Another thing to look at is computer updates. My wife is still cursing after the last windows update that happened a couple of weeks ago because her laptop has greatly slowed down.

We also foster and adopt kittens and cats. Good for you!

Jun 10, 2018
That’s why you might need a booster. If you have things preventing a strong signal
from reaching the whole house, a booster might help. I can’t use my own cell phone in the house and neither can my wife. We lose the signal and have to go outside to talk.

Another thing to look at is computer updates. My wife is still cursing after the last windows update that happened a couple of weeks ago because her laptop has greatly slowed down.

We also foster and adopt kittens and cats. Good for you!
Thanks!
Everything at the house is working great.
Unfortunately, my calls keep getting muted (two phones- last one stolen recently, brab

Mar 14, 2018
Also, my house is one level and less than 1000 square feet.... The WiFi signal was only strong in one room in my house.
If the signal was strong in the room with the router, ATT's equipment was working correctly. Many small houses, especially older ones with plaster walls, require additional equipment to get good coverage. This is not ATT's responsibility.

Also, you say your router had a password, so it sounds like it was correctly configured. The fact that your neighbors don't have a password does not affect your security.

Mar 14, 2018
If the signal was strong in the room with the router, ATT's equipment was working correctly. Many small houses, especially older ones with plaster walls, require additional equipment to get good coverage. This is not ATT's responsibility.

Also, you say your router had a password, so it sounds like it was correctly configured. The fact that your neighbors don't have a password does not affect your security.
From ATT's internet service agreement (https://www.att.com/legal/terms.internetAttTermsOfService.html):

"The Wi-Fi enabled device you are utilizing must be in close enough proximity to the Wi-Fi Equipment to achieve connectivity with the Home Wi-Fi. Actual Home Wi-Fi coverage and quality may vary depending upon the location of the Wi-Fi Equipment, the location of the applicable Wi-Fi enabled device and conditions in and around the premises in which both the Equipment and the Wi-Fi enabled device operate. "

"Although AT&T reserves the right to manage any equipment used to access any Internet Service, you are solely responsible for all security measures over your in-home network, including any IW, local area network(s) and/or Wi-Fi Equipment. That includes, but is not limited to, access to authorization codes or passwords, as well as any encryption you deem necessary or required."

Jun 10, 2018
I’m aware of the services agreement, unfortunately. And my house was built in 2000 with an shotgun house-type configuration. I’m just so frustrated. I tried calling customer support again today, and the call failed. :-(

Jun 10, 2018
Ok; just got off the phone with tech support, again. She’s tried to fix the problem. It’s not fixed. She assured me I would receive a summary of the problems. I have not. I got a whole $25 bucks off my bill for one whole month. Anyone here take donations to advocate? I really need help. I’m in no shape to deal directly with corporate. It was I nightmare several years ago when I last tried to advocate for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.