Tech of the Day: Japan is opening a hotel staffed by creepy robots

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 10, 2013
A new hotel is opening up in a theme park in Nagasaki, Japan. It'll be staffed by robots.

"From the press release:

Robots will provide a wide range of services at the hotel, including room cleaning, front desk and porter services, meaning you could be checked in by robots and have robots carry your bags your room!

Instead of keys, the Henn-na Hotel will also use facial recognition to let you into your room which will cost about $60 per night."

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
A new hotel is opening up in a theme park in Nagasaki, Japan. It'll be staffed by robots.

"From the press release:

Robots will provide a wide range of services at the hotel, including room cleaning, front desk and porter services, meaning you could be checked in by robots and have robots carry your bags your room!

Instead of keys, the Henn-na Hotel will also use facial recognition to let you into your room which will cost about $60 per night."
Eew... that's kinda eerie. I'm convinced that when the brave new world arrives, it will be in Japan. :eek:

In a world where Google and Tesla have both predicted a Self-Driving car for sale to everyone by 2020, I think we've gotta' get used to it! What percentage of homes have a robot floor sweeper today?

Myself, I had a time when I was stuck in a hotel room trying to complete a project and the maid(s) show up. It was in the South, and I had a problem with the language barrier when she wanted to know if "you want your room Hoovered?" It took a bit for her to explain that she meant she wanted to Vacuum - I had to leave while she did it to keep from laughing at the expression. Would a robot have been less distracting?

When you go into fast food places (the first one I saw was in Silicon Valley) you have to option of ordering on a touchscreen. How long is it before food will be mostly prepared by mechanical "hands."

Get used to it. As wages go up, and inflation deteriorates our purchasing power, and our system discourages people from taking some service jobs, it becomes more and more cost effective to use technology in place of people. Robots don't call in because their child is ill or for maternity leave.