Target won’t refund my gift card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 11, 2019
I bought an iphone on Nov 7th and received a $200 gift card. On Nov 26th I used the gift card for first time on Target’s website to buys $18.92 worth of products. When I purchased it, afterwards I checked and saw remaining balance was $181.08. When I went to Target store the next day on Nov 27th I wanted to use gift card to pay and they told me you have no balance left. I don’t know what happened. I called target dispute cLiam line and they told me they will follow up 10 days later. I called 10 days later and they told we can’t refund any of your money back. They said you combined the card on another card or gave the money to someone else. I did nothing like that, I don’t know where the money went. They told you can file a police report too, this is so ridiculous. That 12 hours apart a gift card can go to $0.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It sounds like your account was hacked or someone had the information of the PIN number on your card and hacked the card. Can you see the history of the gift card usage online on the gift card?

You need to file a police report for theft. They are asking for this because they want to ensure that you didn't give anyone access to the balance. You won't file a police report if you knew who used the balance. So you need to call your police department. They will probably take it over the phone and give you a report number to prodive to Target.

We have contacts for Target - you should go further up the executive chain if this is the answer you have gotten from Customer Service.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/target-corporation/

Send an email to this executive:
Samir Shah
Senior Vice President, Stores
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403
[email protected]

Dec 11, 2019
It sounds like your account was hacked or someone had the information of the PIN number on your card and hacked the card. Can you see the history of the gift card usage online on the gift card?

You need to file a police report for theft. They are asking for this because they want to ensure that you didn't give anyone access to the balance. You won't file a police report if you knew who used the balance. So you need to call your police department. They will probably take it over the phone and give you a report number to prodive to Target.

We have contacts for Target - you should go further up the executive chain if this is the answer you have gotten from Customer Service.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/target-corporation/

Send an email to this executive:
Samir Shah
Senior Vice President, Stores
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403
[email protected]
No, it doesn’t show anything, it says gift card is empty with not showing any transactions.

May 30, 2019
Is it possible that you did combine the balance with another card? For example, do you use the target app or have an online account that you used for the $18 purchase?

Nov 4, 2018
I had a similar problem. Did you check your target online account and see if you have it listed/saved. I was able to use mine online but the store kept saying it had a zero balance.