Target gift card fraud occurred days before I scratched off the numbers but Target only suggests police report no credit back

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 14, 2018
I've unfortunately read a handful of post on the site with similar issues. I am looking for suggestions on next steps based on what I have had happened so far.

-Received card ($250) 11-23 as promo for signing up for phone. In-store purchase was just paying sales tax for the phone billed through carrier monthly.
-Scratched card 12-11 to check balance
-called 12-11 to Target gift card support to file claim. (learned it was used on 12-7 in Lancaster PA 211.00 at 10:40 a.m $38.01 10:59 a.m.)
-response today (12-14) was the auto paste response I've seen others post saying balance was checked on a third party site.
-called back to request a 2nd review seems some details were not input correctly.
-filed local police report today.

I've asked each rep about the process and I still don't understand how it happened. I know I used a coin and scratched off the info for the first time on the 11th. I was told the research group is able to see each time a gift card balance inquiry was made. How could someone check the balance let alone use it in store 4 days before? I was unable to get hold of guest relations at the Lancaster store. Even if I did I don't think they would give me footage or that it would do any good.

What would you do next? I have seen the template emails. Should I write something up and send one to guest relations where they already have the case # or to an executive?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 19, 2015
I take it you do not live near Lancaster PA.

Someone may have gotten hold of the gift card, scratched off the silver strip covering for the PIN and attached a new one; others may have a computer program that runs the possible PINS combinations until a success.

Since you got the gift card at Target from one of the their promotions and have filed a police report Target should be responsive to you. Follow Neil's advice and write to the execs.

Dec 14, 2018
You should write to Target using our company contacts using this information on this post on how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Your situation is different than the ones that are usually posted here. 90% of the others have something weird going on with where people got their cards, or they have used someone else’s credit card for a transaction, etc.

Neil,

Thanks for the quick response. This experience just makes me cringe at the idea of buying gift cards in the future. The only thing I've learned is plan on using the full amount the day you have it in your hands. From other posts I have seen sample letters addressed to Mrs. Potts. Who makes teh most sense for my scneario? EVP of Stores or a director of of Customer Experience?

Primary Contact
Brian Lannan
Senior Director, Customer Experience
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Brian.Lannan@target.com

Secondary Contact
Janna Potts
Executive Vice President and Chief Stores Officer
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403
janna.potts@target.com

LinkedIn

John J. Mulligan
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403
john.mulligan@target.com

Chief Executive

Dec 14, 2018
I take it you do not live near Lancaster PA.

Someone may have gotten hold of the gift card, scratched off the silver strip covering for the PIN and attached a new one; others may have a computer program that runs the possible PINS combinations until a success.

Since you got the gift card at Target from one of the their promotions and have filed a police report Target should be responsive to you. Follow Neil's advice and write to the execs.

I live in Arizona. I should have included that in the first post. I called the Lancaster Police dept and they said I file case with my local police department which is what I did. The officer thats just procedure and there is no real chance they find anything out further. Frustrating but I went through the motions and have spent too much time researching this today.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Start with the primary contact, Brian Lannan. If no response or not the desired response after a week to ten days (holiday season) then write to the secondary contact. Do not attach anything to the email or it may get bounced. On our company contacts page we have how to write so you might want to take a look at that. If you would like to post your email here prior to sending, please do so and we can help you out but please don't put any personal information in the email or block that out so it's not available publicly.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ah, this is just ugly, what an awful way to spend your time over the next few weeks or months. Who actually sent you the card? Your case seems straight-forward and you should get some help from Target, unlike our other threads. Be polite, patient and persistent ... know that gift cards have now become a huge problem and you'll need to convince Target that you're the one facing the loss and they need to make you whole.

I think that everyone needs to realize that gift cards have now become so compromised that they're more of a liability than a "gift". The bad guys are waaaaay ahead of it and stealing thousands of dollars from innocent parties. Personally, I wouldn't touch a gift cad with a 10-foot pole.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
The card was issued in Arizona? And used in Pennsylvania? When they issued the card, where did they physically get the card from? What location? I realize this may seem like weird questions but I'm wondering if there is some fraud going on in the Target store.

Is there any balance on the card at this point?

Sep 19, 2015
Carrie Livingston these fraud networks work with amazing efficiency. The OP found out the hard way— which is something to think about for those that buy gift cards in Nov to give for December holidays.

There are so many places where the number could have been compromised- manufacturer of gift card, target employee, were the physical cards ever displayed in public so a scammer could have easy access—

Once the pin has been figured out the card could be used to order online for store pickup, added to the mobile wallet of Mickey Mouse (ie made up name)...or someone could code a fake gift card and use it in the store.

The end user of the stolen gift card is not the one who stole it — those numbers are sold at a discount as the hackers do not want to be caught red handed.

One can do everything right like the OP and still be victimized.

Apr 10, 2017
I live in Arizona. I should have included that in the first post. I called the Lancaster Police dept and they said I file case with my local police department which is what I did. The officer thats just procedure and there is no real chance they find anything out further. Frustrating but I went through the motions and have spent too much time researching this today.
I know the police said there's really nothing they can and unfortunately that's true. However, filing the report is important to pleading your case with Target. Since filing a false police report is a criminal offense it lends much more legitimacy to your claim.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
ADM is right and that’s exactly why the police report is important. Someone who is perpetrating a scam is not going to go to the police and file a false report. It gives you legitimacy.

After seeing things that happen here, I have become very reluctant to buy any type of gift card.

Sep 12, 2018
Did you receive the card as part of a promo at a Target store? If it was part of a promotion at another location (i.e. Verizon, AT&T, etc.), you might also reach out to that location, tell them you received an empty gift card and have filed a police report, and see if they could help you.