Target Gift Card Balance Stolen - Target refusing to help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 28, 2018
I chose to upgrade my mobile last week on 11/19 at Target, where they were running a $300 gift card promotion. Everything went through, I received my gift card, and I used it the first day. On the first day, I made a purchase in store on this gift card for $68.91, bring the balance down to $231.09 (per store receipt). I then entered the gift card into my Target wallet, where I made two more purchases during the week, leaving a remaining balance of $150.43. When I went into the store on Saturday (11/24) to do some Christmas shopping, I was informed at the checkout that the giftcard had been closed. I immediately contacted Target Guest Services, who told me that the gift card had been merged with another card. They took my information and transferred the case to their "Research team", telling me that it would be 3-5 business days before they could finish their investigation. The next day, I received an email denying my claim, with the reasoning that "the card's activity suggests its balance was checked on an unauthorized website (not Target.com) causing it to become compromised." I contacted Guest Services the very next day, and was told that I would need to call back later as their "gift card system is updating". When I spoke to them again today, they are telling me that it is out of their hands and they can't go against "what the research team has determined".

Do I have any recourse here? No one else has had access to this card, and being that Target Wallet keeps the balance updated, I have never needed to check the balance elsewhere. Furthermore, if I wanted to return my upgraded phone, I would have to return the gift card, with all the funds that were stolen from me. This feels a bit like consumer fraud (I realize it is a grey area), but they are essentially forcing me to keep the device I purchased from them. When I mentioned the issues I would have returning the device to the agent, his response was, "why would you ever want to return it?" They cannot tell me any information about the card that it was merged to, or when, but only that the funds have already been spent.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Nov 28, 2018
I agree that it doesn't make sense. I did not check the balance anywhere. I had the store receipt after my first transaction, stating there was $231.09 left on the card. That matched when I entered it into Target Wallet. I then made the following purchases on Target.com using my wallet:
1) $53.68 on Thursday, 11/22 (I had another $5 gift card on this order, so only $48.68 went on this card); and
2) $31.98 on Friday, 11/23. At this point, my target wallet displayed a remaining balance of $150.43. When I tried to use it in store on Saturday, the card was closed.

I appreciate your response. I will be contacting the executives you provided. How would you recommend contacting them? Obviously I need to write a letter. Should I send it first class or certified?

Thanks!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Only email. Since you’ve already been through Customer Service write to the first executive on file.

Tell them exactly what you told us- and that you never checked the balance any other way. Ask the executive to kindly review the facts and he should see that you didn’t do anything out of the ordinary using the card.