Target declines to investigate and re-imburse GC balance for online theft

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 28, 2017
I received the Target GC with the amount of $450.00 as refund from local store in VA in Feb 2017. In March 31, 2017, I found out that the balance was gone and only $5 left in the card. Upon reaching out to Target GC customer support, I was told that the transaction was made in Store 2605 - San Jose, CA for $444.77 at 13:37.
They have declined to investigate and re-reimburse the balance by stating that they can't refund large amount. They are asking me to involve law enforcement to provide detailed information and process the issue further. I can't believe that Target has turned down the customers so easily.

Has anyone faced such issue or similar one? Any input will help.

Thanks.

R

Realitoes

Companies are very reluctant to refund these cards. A popular scam is that people will sell the card number and pin, then turn around to the company and claim they didn't use the card! In one case I read about, a person was selling their card on craiglist, an interested person called and wanted to verify the balance. They asked them to three way call to check the balance and this person was able to obtain and use the card and pin from the number tones.

Because of these type of scams, companies are very unlikely to reimburse. Just like when you have cash stolen, you are going to have to report this as theft to your police department.

You can try to write the company executives for consideration. The Company Contacts tab up top of this page will get you to these email address.

Feb 9, 2016
Question (because we need confirmation) Did you purchase your gift card from a discounted website such as gift card granny? Or via bitcoin? Or any other manner that includes purchasing a GC at a discount? I ask because, if you did, you wont be able to recover.

The only possible way you have a leg to stand on is if you received that refunded amount from an actual target store, and an actual target store put that money onto the gift card, and you have the actual card and actual receipt of transaction to prove it.

YOU need to advocate on your own behalf if you want to have a chance of seeing that money again.

If you have the card and receipt, call Target customer service and ask if the purchase in San Jose was made with an actual card, or online. If it was online then you need to let them know they didn't keep your information safe because you were in Virginia thay day and can prove it.

You need to do exactly what they asked you if you want to see that money again. Invoke law enforcement. file a report ASAP. Call that Target store in San Jose ASAP and get the tape from that day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The writer claims he received the gift card as a refund from a local store.

Did you return the merchandise and how was the original merchandise purchased?

You need to file a police report. What if this involved a store employee who is recording the gift card info and redeeming them? Filing a police report might be what is needed to prove something is going on at the store level if indeed it has to do with an employee. Is the same employee who have you the gift card involved in other incidences? Only filing a police report would uncover something like this.

Aug 28, 2017
I'm curious why you are offended that they want you to take steps with law enforcement. For that amount I sure would! A filled police report will help bolster your assertion that a theft of some sort took place
I am not offended but was trying to mitigate the situation with Target first instead going with lengthy process of law enforcement and such. I am not even sure whether it is going work out but I am on it. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2017
The writer claims he received the gift card as a refund from a local store.

Did you return the merchandise and how was the original merchandise purchased?

You need to file a police report. What if this involved a store employee who is recording the gift card info and redeeming them? Filing a police report might be what is needed to prove something is going on at the store level if indeed it has to do with an employee. Is the same employee who have you the gift card involved in other incidences? Only filing a police report would uncover something like this.
I have reached out to Fairfax county police department for investigation and they declined to help due to jurisdiction. Since the crime happened at San Jose, CA , do I need to make a police report in San Jose, CA jurisdiction?

Aug 28, 2017
Fa
Question (because we need confirmation) Did you purchase your gift card from a discounted website such as gift card granny? Or via bitcoin? Or any other manner that includes purchasing a GC at a discount? I ask because, if you did, you wont be able to recover.

The only possible way you have a leg to stand on is if you received that refunded amount from an actual target store, and an actual target store put that money onto the gift card, and you have the actual card and actual receipt of transaction to prove it.

YOU need to advocate on your own behalf if you want to have a chance of seeing that money again.

If you have the card and receipt, call Target customer service and ask if the purchase in San Jose was made with an actual card, or online. If it was online then you need to let them know they didn't keep your information safe because you were in Virginia thay day and can prove it.

You need to do exactly what they asked you if you want to see that money again. Invoke law enforcement. file a report ASAP. Call that Target store in San Jose ASAP and get the tape from that day.
Fairfax County police has declined to investigate the matter due to jurisdiction and I am wondering whether I need to file same complaint in San Jose, CA police department?

Feb 9, 2016
I am not offended but was trying to mitigate the situation with Target first instead going with lengthy process of law enforcement and such. I am not even sure whether it is going work out but I am on it. Thanks.
because Target knows that, If you open a police report and you are lying about what happened to the funds, YOU can be prosecuted. Having you open a police report is Targets first manner of determining if you are involved or not.

I'm not commenting that you might be, just explaining why they ask you do this.

Feb 9, 2016
Fa

Fairfax County police has declined to investigate the matter due to jurisdiction and I am wondering whether I need to file same complaint in San Jose, CA police department?
yes, call the San Jose, Ca police dept

did you call the target store in question and ask for tapes for that day? I'd call them first.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I live in a small town in Florida (Naples) and we are able to file police reports for petty crimes online.
Maybe you could check that out in Fairfax County.

Aug 28, 2017
because Target knows that, If you open a police report and you are lying about what happened to the funds, YOU can be prosecuted. Having you open a police report is Targets first manner of determining if you are involved or not.

I'm not commenting that you might be, just explaining why they ask you do this.
I have reached out to fairfax county and they can't investigate since it is small amount and also they are not participating in pairing up with San Jose, CA police dept to investigate the matter. I am helpless. Law enforcement is a joke.

Feb 9, 2016
I have reached out to fairfax county and they can't investigate since it is small amount and also they are not participating in pairing up with San Jose, CA police dept to investigate the matter. I am helpless. Law enforcement is a joke.
No, you call the San Jose, Ca police department and file a report.

did you call the target store and get the tape?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I have tried that and they said they can't investigate for such small amount which is ridiculous.
I'm not sure you need them to investigate. You may just need to file the report.
EDIT. DId Target tell you they needed the police to investigate?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017
No, you call the San Jose, Ca police department and file a report.

did you call the target store and get the tape?
yes,I did and they said they keep recording for one month only and nothing can be retrieved after few months. I have been bounced back n forth between Faifax county police department and Target customer service.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you make the return in California?
Where do you live?

You need to call the police precinct where you returned the item. Tell them you need to file a police report according to Target. Just a police report. Don't say you need them to investigate - only that you need to file a report. You are swearing to what ever happened - you returned the item, received a gift card and when you went to use it there was no money in the account.

But one thing I have to tell you is that in every single case we have had here with gift card funds missing, there was always something hokey that went on with the card that we uncovered by questioning the writer.

We have had cards purchased with other credit cards, cards bought with bitcoin, cards where someone living at the same address had falsely purchased cards somewhere and got caught and the store refused to allow someone at the same address use cards.

If you made a return and they didn't credit the credit card used to purchase the item that usually means you brought merchandise back without a receipt. $450 returned without a receipt is a large return.

Aug 28, 2017
Did you make the return in California?
Where do you live?

You need to call the police precinct where you returned the item. Tell them you need to file a police report according to Target. Just a police report. Don't say you need them to investigate - only that you need to file a report. You are swearing to what ever happened - you returned the item, received a gift card and when you went to use it there was no money in the account.

But one thing I have to tell you is that in every single case we have had here with gift card funds missing, there was always something hokey that went on with the card that we uncovered by questioning the writer.

We have had cards purchased with other credit cards, cards bought with bitcoin, cards where someone living at the same address had falsely purchased cards somewhere and got caught and the store refused to allow someone at the same address use cards.

If you made a return and they didn't credit the credit card used to purchase the item that usually means you brought merchandise back without a receipt. $450 returned without a receipt is a large return.
I have provided them police report number and they have still declined to replace my gift card.