TAP Portugal seems ok with me missing my connection...?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 29, 2018
Odds are good you won’t make that connection and have to buy another ticket and hope your luggage gets there
A general logistics question: If the inbound flight is late, I would assume they'r rebook the connection.

Ie, if I book a 3 hour connection, and the plane is 4 hours late, they would rebook me. But if the inbound is 2 hours late, and the airport is congested such that one doesn't make the legal connection -- is the inbound flier out of luck?

Jun 10, 2019
My wife and I are flying from NYC to Sevilla via Lisbon. The flight on TAP has a 65 minute layover. I requested that TAP put us in seats near the front of the plane in order to increase the chance of not missing the flight. The plane seat map is so far almost empty as no one (including me..) seems willing to pay for seat assignments ahead of time. As this is a flight from USA to Europe, I will need to go thru passport control to change planes.

The chance of me missing the connection is not that low. It could be decreased by putting me in some seats close to the front of the plane, but so far TAP not interested in doing that (unless of course I pay just under 100 dollars for seats). I have travel insurance and Lisbon is a great city to spend the day (with either TAP or the travel insurance paying...)(there are limited flights Lisbon to Sevilla so I would end up spending the night...). But I would prefer to just make the connection if possible. Contacting TAP lead to no reply. Not certain what others might suggest here--thanks.
This may no longer of help to you, I'm not sure, but hopefully it will help others with the same issue. Last year, I flew TAP from LHR to LIS as a US citizen. I assumed that since I was still in the EU, I would not need to pass through passport control again. A false assumption! On top of it, a packed 747 from Brasil had landed at the same time and I was required to go through non-EU immigration as if I had just arrived from the US. It took longer than an hour to get through the line. I was thankful that my destination was Lisbon and that I didn't have a connection. Be warned.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You might want to read this post- they missed a short connection.

Flights are sold with short connections for people that live in that country that do not have to go through immigration between connections. You need to know whether you are going through immigration, or have to collect your luggage and recheck it. These are things you need to know when you book your own tickets.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/i...enger-at-a-connecting-airport-mid-trip.10393/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Jake, you need to rebook your trip. Ordinarily, if you missed the connection, the airline would rebook you on the next flight. That may not happen. You could be stuck in LIS for days, awaiting a seat. There's just no way to tell.

By rebooking, you'll pay a change/cancel fee as well as any fare difference. But if you want to get to FCO, you don't have much choice.

Jun 9, 2019
I called TAP and explained my concerns. Because I got the most basic ticket, the ticket is not changeable (even if I wanted to pay fees/fare difference).

He did confirm that both the SFO-LIS and LIS-FCO flights are in the same terminal (T1). Also, I am not checking any luggage.

He said that if each of the two flights are on time and I miss the second flight, TAP is not responsible and I would have to buy another ticket. However, that if the first flight is delayed ("by even just five minutes"), I would get put on the next available flight to FCO for free which is scheduled to depart at 3:45 p.m. Plus another at 7:50 p.m.

TAP's first ever SFO-LIS flight was yesterday and the second was today. Both flights have been delayed by over an hour.

Sep 19, 2015
Oh these were basic economy — not a good thing.

SFO is prone to delays.

Yes the flights are in the same terminal — that means very little — Frankfurt for example is a massive airport and has 2 terminals.

The problem is arriving ex EU and passport control if you arrive on time.

I hope it works out for you.

Jun 9, 2019
The best thing to happen would be for the flight from SFO to either arrive an hour early or 5+ minutes late.

If the flight does end up being on time, I get off the plane and head to immigration and see the line is very long, what should I do at that point? Just try to get through as quickly as possible, or find a TAP desk and notify them that I believe I'm going to miss my next flight (either to hope they'll accommodate my situation somehow or at minimum to notify them that I'm not intentionally being a no show).

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The best thing to happen would be for the flight from SFO to either arrive an hour early or 5+ minutes late.

If the flight does end up being on time, I get off the plane and head to immigration and see the line is very long, what should I do at that point? Just try to get through as quickly as possible, or find a TAP desk and notify them that I believe I'm going to miss my next flight (either to hope they'll accommodate my situation somehow or at minimum to notify them that I'm not intentionally being a no show).
Once you exit the airplane you will be sent to immigration/passport control. You cannot bypass this (you will be in a restricted area) and will not have access to a TAP desk. Once you are through immigration you will likely end up in baggage claim and will need to claim your baggage and recheck it after customs clearance. Then you will have access to the general airport areas and will have access to a TAP desk.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

There is nothing you can do- you can try and tell someone you have a short connection but they really don’t care- they may tell you that you have to wait on the line anyway.

Sep 19, 2015
Once you exit the airplane you will be sent to immigration/passport control. You cannot bypass this (you will be in a restricted area) and will not have access to a TAP desk. Once you are through immigration you will likely end up in baggage claim and will need to claim your baggage and recheck it after customs clearance. Then you will have access to the general airport areas and will have access to a TAP desk.
As the passenger is connecting luggage should be checked through to Rome. After passport control the OP should go straight to gate or transit desk if flight is missed. There should be no need to go to baggage claim at all.

Jun 9, 2019
Update:

My flight left SFO 20 minutes late and arrived in Lisbon 10 minutes late (11:30 a.m.), which was fortunate because the immigration/passport control line was about two hours long. While I was waiting in line, TAP sent me a text informing me that my reservation had been changed to a later flight to FCO (departing at 7:50 p.m.). After getting through immigration and then security, I talked to a TAP employee who gave me a new boarding pass (for free), food vouchers (28 euros worth), and information for where I could complain if I wanted.

Lisbon does have a "Short Connections" immigration line. However, it is not well marked and the Lisbon Airport "How can I help?" employees did not mention it when I asked if there was anything they could do. It's on the right side of the line for non-EU passport holders. I talked to some other passengers later who told me that a staff member did make a call for Rome passengers, but because I was not close to that area at the time of the call I didn't hear it. Had I known about this, I likely would have made the original flight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Update:

My flight left SFO 20 minutes late and arrived in Lisbon 10 minutes late (11:30 a.m.), which was fortunate because the immigration/passport control line was about two hours long. While I was waiting in line, TAP sent me a text informing me that my reservation had been changed to a later flight to FCO (departing at 7:50 p.m.). After getting through immigration and then security, I talked to a TAP employee who gave me a new boarding pass (for free), food vouchers (28 euros worth), and information for where I could complain if I wanted.

Lisbon does have a "Short Connections" immigration line. However, it is not well marked and the Lisbon Airport "How can I help?" employees did not mention it when I asked if there was anything they could do. It's on the right side of the line for non-EU passport holders. I talked to some other passengers later who told me that a staff member did make a call for Rome passengers, but because I was not close to that area at the time of the call I didn't hear it. Had I known about this, I likely would have made the original flight.
Thanks for letting us know, Jake. I'm so glad it worked out and you didn't have to shell out more money. Nice touch that they made sure you had some food too. I hope you are enjoying Rome, a city that in my mind makes Manhattan look like a little cow town. Such an exciting destination ...

Aug 29, 2018
Update:

Thank you for the update and the information -- I am flying through Lisbon ro Paris next month; the connection is 3 hours. That ought to be sufficient, but awareness of the short connection line if the flight is late is good to know.