TAP Air Portugal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 30, 2021
I am flying home from Berlin to Denver in about a week. TAP Portugal canceled my flight without offering a replacement flight. After many hours on the phone with them, I finally have a new flight, but I'm forced to spend the night in Washington DC now, adding the substantial cost of a hotel to my itinerary. They claimed they would pay for the hotel but I cannot get anyone to actually reimburse me. Their customer service is virtually impossible to contact and there's nowhere to send my bill.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Frankly, from the other stories about TAP Portugal we've seen on this forum, you're extraordinarily lucky you got a replacement flight. The corporate contacts for TAP Portugal are listed here:

You should write a concise email stating your issue and send it to the contacts listed here, waiting one week between messages. You may have to pay for that hotel out of pocket and fight them for the reimbursement later.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I do not like TAP. I have the worst experiences with them when things go sideways. I ( and all other passengers) were once stranded airside on an international flight . Problem is there were no real TAP employees there. It took a call to the Ambassador in that country to make things happen. We were all re-ticketed and let pass customs and immigration and lead to check in where we all found out all though we all had reservations none of them was paid for so we were told if we want this flight we needed to pay.
I was very lucky to have a great travel agent that was able to get me another airline flight home.

To the OP
Has this flight happened yet?
If not you might have to wait till after your flight,
I was able to get a hotel paid ( new flight was at 3 AM and old flight was 9 am the day before) that I used as a day room to get some rest. I got my telephone calls paid for as well as the 2 meals I had receipts for. It took a few calls to do this but eventually I got a check.
I would ask them how much they would pay for the hotel room as they would only pay so much for mine. And yes you might never see this money. But losing a hotel room might be cheaper then them just canceling your flight and refunding you leaving you stranded in Europe.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Forum Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
You may want to review the Air Passenger Rights (EU261) to determine if the airline is required to provide in the way of accommodations or compensation based on your specific circumstances.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I am flying home from Berlin to Denver in about a week. TAP Portugal canceled my flight without offering a replacement flight. After many hours on the phone with them, I finally have a new flight, but I'm forced to spend the night in Washington DC now, adding the substantial cost of a hotel to my itinerary. They claimed they would pay for the hotel but I cannot get anyone to actually reimburse me. Their customer service is virtually impossible to contact and there's nowhere to send my bill.
TAP has generated only slightly fewer complaints on Elliott.org (73) than American Airlines (84) in the first 4 months of 2021. This is from a tiny airline compared to the largest airline in the world.

To generate that number of complaints per passenger takes real effort to provide poor service and poor customer service. As mentioned above, what is surprising is that TAP did anything.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Andrew, we could sugar-coat your situation, but Alexander's first sentence says it all. If you have the offer of hotel reimbursement in writing, you could pursue this. But I fear it would be a long, annoying slog.

Far more important is that you follow up on your new flight carefully and confirm everything with the new airline; get an e-tix number as well as a confirmation number. We have seen cases where the original airline rebooked the pax, but the tix was never paid for. Many airlines have been difficult to deal with during the virus disaster, and some were difficult long before. You are fortunate and I hope your new flights go without a hitch.

Reactions: Patina and Comicman

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Because your flight was cancelled with less than 14 days notice, TAP was required by EU law (EC261) to pay for your hotel. Since the schedule change sounds significant, it's likely they owe you additional compensation as well. You should file a claim with TAP and escalate to the Portuguese enforcement agency if they do not respond. Alternatively, you can pay an agency like Airhelp to do the work for you.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Since the op is not flying for about a week this is all conjecture that TAP will not pay for his hotel.
Till the op presents his hotel receipt to TAP airlines and is not paid we are all guessing here.
Maybe TAP will in fact follow the rules and reimburse the OP for his hotel receipt.
The airline did say they would pay for the hotel, who knows maybe they were not lying here.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since the op is not flying for about a week this is all conjecture that TAP will not pay for his hotel.
Till the op presents his hotel receipt to TAP airlines and is not paid we are all guessing here.
Maybe TAP will in fact follow the rules and reimburse the OP for his hotel receipt.
The airline did say they would pay for the hotel, who knows maybe they were not lying here.
Whaaaat? Well of course TAP won't reimburse for a hotel stay that hasn't happened yet. Andrew, have we got this right?

Apr 30, 2021
I do not like TAP. I have the worst experiences with them when things go sideways. I ( and all other passengers) were once stranded airside on an international flight . Problem is there were no real TAP employees there. It took a call to the Ambassador in that country to make things happen. We were all re-ticketed and let pass customs and immigration and lead to check in where we all found out all though we all had reservations none of them was paid for so we were told if we want this flight we needed to pay.
I was very lucky to have a great travel agent that was able to get me another airline flight home.

To the OP
Has this flight happened yet?
If not you might have to wait till after your flight,
I was able to get a hotel paid ( new flight was at 3 AM and old flight was 9 am the day before) that I used as a day room to get some rest. I got my telephone calls paid for as well as the 2 meals I had receipts for. It took a few calls to do this but eventually I got a check.
I would ask them how much they would pay for the hotel room as they would only pay so much for mine. And yes you might never see this money. But losing a hotel room might be cheaper then them just canceling your flight and refunding you leaving you stranded in Europe.
The flight is later this week. I have paid for the hotel out of pocket, so hopefully, I can get them to reimburse me for the hotel. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will absolutely keep receipts for my meals.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Forum Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The flight is later this week. I have paid for the hotel out of pocket, so hopefully, I can get them to reimburse me for the hotel. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will absolutely keep receipts for my meals.
You should ask when you check in. The airlines sometimes have contracted rates with specific hotels and/or may provide a voucher so you won't have to pay out of pocket, and if they do and you don't use one of those hotels, they may not reimburse you or may only reimburse the contracted rate.

Unless you got the offer in writting for them to provide a hotel or reimburse your cost, then any future reimbursement may depend on what the Airline's Conditions of Carriage or European air passenger rights (EU 261) requires they provide.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I was able to get my hotel receipt paid for by TAP ( after a few expensive calls to Portugal, though now with VoIP programs this could be cheap now). TAP though might have a limit they can pay. My hotel was 120.00 and this was many years ago. They did not argue the 120.00 as I had a very nice looking official receipt. They did though argue my meals saying my 20.00 dinner was too much and wanted to pay 15.00. They did end up paying my dinner bill. And surprisingly they paid for the prepaid telephone cards ( how they did it , in the country where I was) I bought to call them in Portugal with out showing them any receipts.
But all my advice is pre Covid. So anything could happen now. But if the past holds now with a little hassle on your part , you will get your money. Just do not try to add a sleaze factor because you are annoyed with them as this could make getting your money back harder. TAP are cheap (insert swear word here).