Switch Cruise please

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 15, 2019
My dear friend and I are booked on a 33 day cruise to Asia with Oceana cruises. We have to cancel due to the fact my friend has to appear for her court case, which she had been waiting for,for 6 years.It is a malpractice case in which she almost had to have her foot amputated. The case is starting just when we were supposed to leave on our trip of a life time. We are not covered by insurance because she is the plaintiff in the case. Now we are going to lose $40,000 . We called Oceana if we could go on a similar cruise a month later and we would even upgrade our cabin to show good faith. They said no. This is a life's savings of two retired teachers, couldn't they have a heart? They advertise great ports, and good food but they have no heart. We are not asking for anything for free. just a switch. This is so much money to lose. Our cruise number is xxxxxx. Please change your mind and have a heart, besides good food.

Note: edited by moderator to remove confirmation number.

Sep 19, 2015
Did your friend tell the attorney that she would be away for a month?

When is the cruise scheduled to depart? How much advance notice is this?

How can you be sure that the court case will be completed one month later? What if there are delays?

This has nothing to do with "having a heart". What if there are no last minute takers for the room and it goes out empty. A 33 day cruise is not something that people do last minute. Had you ever considered that this would be a problem? I realize civil lawsuits can be very slow, but wasn't there some thought put into the scheduling of the cruise as this is a possibility?

Lawsuits do get rescheduled as lawyers have more than one client.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Don't despair, Phyl, they have a heart but the call center people have no wiggle room from their procedures manuals. Please go at this two ways. Use our Company Contacts to plead your case with Oceana. I would definitely NOT reschedule in 30 days ... you'd never get another chance for their cooperation if her case isn't over by then. Your friend should contact her attorney to get the case rescheduled (that's the best solution). After six years, another 30 days isn't going to make much difference. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

I hesitate to seem cold and uncaring, but if she's unsuccessful, they're not going to refund her money, so you should consider going without her. It's easy to meet people on cruises to spend time with, so you'd still enjoy yourself. ANYTHING would be more enjoyable than losing all that money.

Sep 19, 2015
Case marked final. Can’t be rescheduled. Going without her would be kind of cold.
Where I live case marked final means just that — there have been so many delays that no others are permitted (unless hit by a bus or other serious health issue). So reschedule is out.

when is the cruise scheduled — how many days in advance?

Feb 3, 2017
It may seem "cold" to go without her but given the alternative, I would think (hope) that your friend would not want you to lose all your hard earned money and also want you to have a good experience given you may not be able to do such a trip again as you say this is life savings spent already.

If you do try again to reschedule, I sure wouldn't ask to reschedule for just one month from the beginning of her trial; one never knows how long the case will go on - it could be dismissed if plaintiff/defendant reach a settlement at some point but there can also be unforeseen delays if experts, witnesses, etc are unexpectedly unavailable - so many unknowns.

I'm sure her attorney has provided her with information as the various ways her trial may play out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you made final payment yet? You need to try our company contacts and hope you find a sympathetic executive if you can’t find someone else to go with you.

Did you buy insurance? Some insurance covers court cases.

Here are our company contacts:
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/oceania-cruises/

Here is what you need to follow when you write:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Start writing now and let us know how you make out after you’ve finished going up the executive chain.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
On her intake form, the LW listed March 2 as the date of the cruise. She did buy insurance, but this circumstance is not one of the "named perils" covered under the policy.
I don’t know what else can be done at such a late date. It’s really unfortunate at this late date this happened but they are in 100% penalty.

Does the insurance they purchased cover the OP for the single supplement if her travel companion has to cancel?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To our OP- did you contact Oceania to see if your travel companion can join the cruise as it is in progress?

Honestly, there is really nothing else we can do. If there was any inkling this could happen it would have been wise to buy a Cancel for Any Reason insurance policy. It would have been expensive and wouldn’t have paid back 100% but you it’s better then nothing. If the case has been going on for six years, was this in the back of your mind when you booked?

You should go on the cruise without your friend rather then risk losing what you paid. You end up meeting fellow travelers when you travel and you can still enjoy it.

Sep 19, 2015
Oh dear the cruise is in a few weeks. It would be nearly impossible to argue that the room could be resold— people rarely take last minute 33 day cruises.

As far as I know,Being a plaintiff in a lawsuit would only be covered cancel for any reason — which makes sense as one should be aware of the time lines of their own legal proceedings.

I would say either go alone or beg for a partial credit — I think asking for a full refund is too much considering the timing and circumstances. The lawsuit is not a surprise.

Feb 15, 2019
Could I send my niece and nephew on this cruise? They allow one name change, not two. Is there a way to get the both names changed.?This could be their honeymoon.