Surprised by Verizon Wireless request

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 24, 2016
I checked my verizon wireless account the other day and found a charge for $185 for data overage. Totally not their fault, my daughter neglected to turn her wifi on at home and watched a lot of videos. We are supposed to receive email and text notifications when we hit certain levels of data usage (50%, 75%, 90%) and overage. None were ever received. I contacted them via chat, explained the situation and they issued an immediate credit to my account for $185. Shocked to say the least, but very happy as it was completely unexpected.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I believe there are unlimited accounts now with Verizon that just slow down at a certain point so you don't pay more than a given amount per month. Did they suggest you switch to one of those?

May 24, 2016
They did, and I refused as it would have been an additional $40 a month for the lowest unlimited plan.

Follow up:
Last month,. once again their usage notifications system actually sent a notification, but it was delayed by over a week. It was a few days prior to the end of the month and once again we would be going over. They switched me to the unlimited plan for the remainder of the month, gave me a $40 credit to cover the additional charges, then switched me back to my original plan the next month. They are having their engineers look at why the notifications are being sent out with such a delay.

Sep 26, 2017
I realize this drains the battery more, but why not have her leave the wifi on all the time? I do this with my phone and I only turn on the data when I actually need it.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I realize this drains the battery more, but why not have her leave the wifi on all the time? I do this with my phone and I only turn on the data when I actually need it.
Newer phones switch between wi-fi and data automatically and use data only when wi-fi is not available. They are optimized to use wi-fi preferentially over cellular data. If the phone does not do this a new phone would be a good investment.

May 24, 2016
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. It's an odd situation, she has wifi at work, but it's so bad that she shuts it off and uses cell data. That's fine, but then when she comes home she forgets to turn wifi back on and uses cell data to watch videos etc. She's being more mindful, next step is her own plan, lol. She has Pixel 2 XL

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. It's an odd situation, she has wifi at work, but it's so bad that she shuts it off and uses cell data. That's fine, but then when she comes home she forgets to turn wifi back on and uses cell data to watch videos etc. She's being more mindful, next step is her own plan, lol. She has Pixel 2 XL
Although having her take responsibility through her own plan has its pluses , it would be less expensive to have her pay the $40/month cost of an unlimited plan for the family, and then everyone benefits