Surprise! You have a second layover in Amsterdam... even though you've already checked in and have your tickets!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 16, 2018
UPDATE:
I made a request to Lufthansa for compensation under EU 261 (as was recommended earlier in the thread, as opposed to United since it was a codeshare flight). I received a quasi-reply in part here:

We truly regret that you were affected by a delay on your journey from France to Detroit on August 02, 2018. Any change to your anticipated schedule can be stressful and your frustration under these circumstances is understandable.

The reason for the delay of your flight was caused by a third party. We are fully aware that our passengers decide to fly with us because Lufthansa is known for punctuality and reliability, and we do everything in our power to meet this expectation. The confirmation to proceed with the flight was impossible when the airport authorities are unsure of the weather conditions. We can only be held liable for issues which lie within our responsibility and this is an issue outside of our control.

The EC regulation 261/2004 does not grant compensatory payment in this case. We therefore hope for your understanding that we cannot meet your request for compensation.

They then offered 200 euros as compensation for the poor customer service experience.

OK.

For one, this is a "pass the buck". The flight was NOT -- I repeat -- NOT delayed or otherwise canceled due to "weather conditions". There WAS a flight that day from FRA to DTW. I was simply bumped from it. Involuntarily. And then rerouted to a flight to DTW via AMS from FRA.

I feel like the offer of 200 euros, quoted here as : "As a gesture of goodwill, Lufthansa will be crediting your account with EUR 200 as a form of a dinner invitation." is just a way to placate my situation without having to pay out the EU261 compensation, which is 300 euros per ticket.

What do you think?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't like the answer that it was due to a third party. I might ask for clarification of that. If it was due to a third party, I think you are due compensation under EU261.

I would ask for clarification - what does putting you on a different flight have to do with weather? And tell them that you will be filing an EU 261 claim because the answer doesn't make any sense.

You have to determine if you want to pursue an EU 261 claim that you might not win or take the compensation they are offering.

Aug 16, 2018
I don't like the answer that it was due to a third party. I might ask for clarification of that. If it was due to a third party, I think you are due compensation under EU261.

I would ask for clarification - what does putting you on a different flight have to do with weather? And tell them that you will be filing an EU 261 claim because the answer doesn't make any sense.

You have to determine if you want to pursue an EU 261 claim that you might not win or take the compensation they are offering.
Thank you, I did just that. I also questioned the fact that they claim the flight was not confirmed... because it was.
The flight from FRA to DTW was not at all canceled that day. It took off as scheduled. Same for the first leg from CDG to FRA. I was simply involuntarily bumped from the FRA-DTW flight, and rerouted through AMS to my final destination of DTW.

I was able to recover the flight tracking data from my original confirm flights this day (that left without me on them), took screenshots, and attached them to my reply to Lufthansa.

I'm pretty sure this was due to an overbooking, and an involuntary bump of me and my entire party. Whatever the case, someone dropped the ball, that's for sure.

Sep 19, 2015
I really do not understand the response — weather? Was the flight at one point cancelled or delayed and then put back on schedule?

I would ask for clarification.