Super Shuttle accountability

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 10, 2018
I was visiting my elderly mother in Silver Spring, MD over the Christmas holidays. I reserved a ride with Super Shuttle (Blue Van) several days ahead of my 7:00 a.m. Southwest Flight out of BWI airport on Dec. 30 2017, returning to Colorado where I live. I was told to be ready at 3:55 a.m. for the van pick-up. At 3:45, I was called by the Super Shuttle Dispatch to let me know that due to the “weather” (a light dusting of snow), the Super Shuttle would not be able to pick me up. “But not to worry”, I was told. A cab would come instead, at the same time, and take me directly to the airport and that there would be no other pick-ups. I breathed a sigh of great relief, as I had no other way to get to the airport.

However, by 4:20, no cab had arrived. I called Super Shuttle and waited on hold 20-25 minutes before a dispatcher was available to take my call. The dispatcher, Bryan, called the cab company. He told me that only one cab driver was working and was still out making other calls ahead of mine. Bryan (who was actually located in Tampa, FL) gave me the local number of the cab company (Sun Cab). I called their dispatcher who told me (unbelievably) that he wasn’t able to contact his driver, but that the driver would call me when he was on his way.

About 5:15, the cab driver did call me and told me that he was still several miles away but on his way. He arrived at 5:30. I went out to the cab and got inside. At that point, the cab driver said that we would have to go and pick up another passenger heading to the airport. I told the cab driver that I had been promised a ride directly to the airport. The cab driver insisted that he would need to pick up this other passenger. The other passenger was not located nearby.

It was clear at this point, that I would not be able to get to the airport and that I would miss my flight (I checked on the flight status using my phone, and the flight remained on time). Instead of being stranded at the airport (and knowing most flights would already be booked full), I went back inside my mother’s home.

I called Super Shuttle to inform them of the situation and to request a refund. I was told that because I had declined the cab ride, that I would not qualify for a refund. The dispatcher told me that I would have to write to Super Shuttle, that he wasn’t able, himself, to take care of the issue. When I inquired about the possibility of transferring the money I had already paid in exchange for a ride to the airport on New Years day, the Super Shuttle dispatcher told me, that in all honesty, he couldn’t guarantee that drivers would show up that day, as they had a problem on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with drivers failing to show up.

I rebooked my flight but had to pay an additional $331. I did leave a complaint and full explanation on the Super Shuttle website. In return, I received an e-mail (with an assigned case number) telling me that a case manager would contact me. That was 13 days ago, and I have heard nothing.

Can Super Shuttle be held accountable in any way? Could I at least expect to get a refund for the missed ride, if not a refund for the additional amount I had to pay in order to change my plane flight?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Reading this, I could picture my wife in this situation as she insists on being at the airport at least two hours before a flight. She would have been a raving lunatic.

They most certainly should have refunded you. They broke their contract with not only pick up time, but you contracted for a bus, not a cab. Now Super Shuttle might not have taken you directly to the airport had they picked you up at the correct time (they often do multiple stops) but you wouldn't have had to worry at 3:55. You could have called the cab company at 3:56 if you knew the cab wasn't going to be there for another hour and a half.

We don't have contacts for Super Shuttle but you can ask our research department to try to obtain it so you can escalate this to Executives at Super Shuttle.

http://www.elliott.org/research/

I would suggest calling your credit card company for guidance on what to do in the meantime as you only have a certain amount of time to do a dispute. Just be aware though that you may not get reimbursed for the change fee, only the anount you paid to Super Shuttle.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
A travel nightmare for sure. Waiting and waiting ... ugh. Neil has laid it all out ... I would think that SuperShuttle would be eager to placate you with a refund plus more. All they're selling is credibility and they really let you down. I would consider social media if SS doesn't snap to and give you some attention.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Hi Holly,

As Neil says you normally need to complete a request form if you want the research department obtain some executive contacts. However I have seen your post and researched some contacts and published them.

I have included two customer support email addresses if you want to make your initial complaint to them as well as the executives including the director of customer care.

As SuperShuttle is owed by a company called Transdev I have included the details for the President at Transdev. He has responsibility for consumer services, North America including for SuperShuttle but hopefully you should not need that.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jan 10, 2018
Hi Holly,

As Neil says you normally need to complete a request form if you want the research department obtain some executive contacts. However I have seen your post and researched some contacts and published them.

I have included two customer support email addresses if you want to make your initial complaint to them as well as the executives including the director of customer care.

As SuperShuttle is owed by a company called Transdev I have included the details for the President at Transdev. He has responsibility for consumer services, North America including for SuperShuttle but hopefully you should not need that.

Hi Holly,

Hello John,

This is so helpful and I am most grateful and impressed!! Thank you for compiling this information, and I will indeed write to the two customer support contacts you provided. I did find out on my own that Super Shuttle operates separate franchises (like Subway shops), and the one that services the Baltimore/Washington airport operates out of Beltsville, MD. And I did get an address and phone number for that office. However, since I haven't heard back from Super Shuttle in response to the complaint I submitted on their website the day of my missed flight (Dec. 30), I will go ahead and try your contacts. Again, many thanks!

Jan 10, 2018
Reading this, I could picture my wife in this situation as she insists on being at the airport at least two hours before a flight. She would have been a raving lunatic.

They most certainly should have refunded you. They broke their contract with not only pick up time, but you contracted for a bus, not a cab. Now Super Shuttle might not have taken you directly to the airport had they picked you up at the correct time (they often do multiple stops) but you wouldn't have had to worry at 3:55. You could have called the cab company at 3:56 if you knew the cab wasn't going to be there for another hour and a half.

We don't have contacts for Super Shuttle but you can ask our research department to try to obtain it so you can escalate this to Executives at Super Shuttle.

http://www.elliott.org/research/

I would suggest calling your credit card company for guidance on what to do in the meantime as you only have a certain amount of time to do a dispute. Just be aware though that you may not get reimbursed for the change fee, only the anount you paid to Super Shuttle.
Hello Neil,

I've been hit-and-miss with my replies, but wanted to thank you for your message, the first one I received. I appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one who tries to get to the airport well in advance of a flight. I am not a "Nervous Nelly", but at the holidays, I do try and allow more time, especially for this last trip, since I hadn't gotten the random selection to use the "Pre-TSA" line. (I am planning to go through the hoops with TSA so I can use that line regularly.). One never knows how long it will take to get through Security and if the plane's departure gate will be near or far.

I will post again on this forum with results from my communication with the contacts that John G. so kindly provided. Thank you!

Jan 10, 2018
A travel nightmare for sure. Waiting and waiting ... ugh. Neil has laid it all out ... I would think that SuperShuttle would be eager to placate you with a refund plus more. All they're selling is credibility and they really let you down. I would consider social media if SS doesn't snap to and give you some attention.
Hello jsn55, Thank you for the vote of confidence! Not so much a "nightmare", but when these things happen at the coldest and darkest time of year, it seems to intensify the experience. As I wrote to Neil, I will update this forum when I get a response from the company.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
File a claim - not for the missed ride, but for the negligence of not following through. This is not a contract claim - they 'induced' you to not call any other ride service or a taxi directly because they reasonably represented to you that they were handling the situation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
File a claim - not for the missed ride, but for the negligence of not following through. This is not a contract claim - they 'induced' you to not call any other ride service or a taxi directly because they reasonably represented to you that they were handling the situation.
Holly make sure you call your credit card company and ask them how long you have to dispute the charge.

While we urge everyone to write, you also don’t wanna to to lose chargeback rights either because I believe you would win a dispute especially if you use the wording It’s Not Me gave you. The cc companies always want to see that you have tried to give the company a chance to make it right but if n results in going over the time frame to file a dispute- file the dispute to cover yourself.

Jan 10, 2018
Hello, kind folks who responded to my original post regarding Super Shuttle. I wanted to let you know, (especially you, John G.) that just after I sent an e-mail to the Director of Customer Care and the Senior Vice President of Super Shuttle, I heard from a case manager representing Super Shuttle, with this message:

"I want to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of this situation and I apologize for your experience. I am emailing to let you know that I have initiated a request for the refund of 33.00 back to the card on file. We process credits daily. Please check with your financial institution for the credit to post.
I will need a copy of official receipts showing the additional airline charges."

I did not hear back from the Director of Customer Care or the Senior Vice President of Super Shuttle. I suspect though that they are the ones who put the heat on someone in the company to respond to my complaint.

Jan 10, 2018
Update on February 16, 2018. I'm very happy to report that today in my post office box was a check from Super Shuttle for the full amount that I paid to rebook my flight ($331) when Super Shuttle failed to provide a ride for me to Baltimore Washington Airport on Dec. 30th (2017). In addition, my credit card account was credited with the $33 I initially paid to reserve a Super Shuttle van ride.
I would like to thank you, John Galbraith, for doing the research to find the names and contact information of the executives at Super Shuttle. You did this before I even requested it! I wouldn't have had any success, otherwise. And thank you, Neil Maley, for your encouragement! I am spreading the word about elliott.org! You guys rock!!