Structuring financial transactions?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2018
Hi All,

I wanted to inquire whether any of you could shed more light on what the Structuring regulation entails.

Here's some quick Wikipedia definition: Structuring is the act of parceling what would otherwise be a large financial transaction into a series of smaller transactions to avoid scrutiny by regulators and law enforcement.

Will there be a flag if one were to wire transfer money as a gift to a parent abroad in the amount of $9K+ because it's under the $10,000 reporting threshold? What if it's just one-time?

I read somewhere that with Structuring there has to be a repeated pattern. So what if in several months I want to transfer a certain sum again under $10K for a different purpose? Or perhaps next give another gift to the same parent? What time frame will they look at for a repeated pattern?

Sep 19, 2015
This is a legal question.

Structuring is done to avoid taxes and reporting on money laundering. You are allowed to give your money away and only US residents have to pay income taxes on monetary gifts over a certain amount.

If one is not doing anything illegal one has nothing to worry about. I have received checks and transfers in excess of $10,000 and have no concern with the bank or IRS as I declare my income and am not money laundering, so the bank can fill out as many reports on me as they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.