Striking hotels

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 9, 2018
My Chicago downtown hotel was on strike. The walk out started Friday, day of my arrival. Obviously the RitzCarlton had deminished service. Housekeeping, cooks, wait staff ect. were all picketing. No room service, restaurants, it wasn’t a fun vacation experience.
Shouldn’t I get a reduction of my 1,000.00 plus bill for the two nights when I wasn’t getting what I paid for?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When did you stay there, how long and was the strike on the entire time you were there?

Did you ask for a discount when you checked out? Did you file any complaints while you were there? That was the time to ask for a partial credit.

Sep 9, 2018
Strike started Friday 9/7 same day as my arrival. Checked out Sunday 9/9, still striking.
Didn’t ask today while checking out since the problem was very obvious. Thought I’d follow up with complaint.
The bartender, whose normal job is in house account gave me free beer.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Strike started Friday 9/7 same day as my arrival. Checked out Sunday 9/9, still striking.
Didn’t ask today while checking out since the problem was very obvious. Thought I’d follow up with complaint.
The bartender, whose normal job is in house account gave me free beer.
As you probably know, this strike is affecting many cities in the US, so nothing would have been much different at many other locations.
It certainly does no harm to ask RC/Marriott for some consideration. Figure out what you might actually use (like points, status or some other useful benefit) and ask for it rather than have them choose. Contact RC/Marriott using the forum contacts as suggested in the general advice.
They probably have already come up with a general response to this type of request, so be specific about what you want. Also, don't ask for the moon
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott/

Sep 9, 2018
I was not aware that other cities were having strikes. I googled and only Chicago showed up.
Nevertheless, thank you for the advise. I’m know that this is an unusual situation.
Best wishes.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
Then you'll probably get a coupon for a free night or something like that.

When a movie theatre screws up they have the manager in the room right away offering free passes,

but with a hotel- you have to ask or at least lodge a complaint when you check out.

Sep 19, 2015
My Chicago downtown hotel was on strike. The walk out started Friday, day of my arrival. Obviously the RitzCarlton had deminished service. Housekeeping, cooks, wait staff ect. were all picketing. No room service, restaurants, it wasn’t a fun vacation experience.
Shouldn’t I get a reduction of my 1,000.00 plus bill for the two nights when I wasn’t getting what I paid for?
How were you impacted? When you write be polite but specific. Do you normally order room service? Eat the restaurants etc.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use our company contacts on top of our pages and start a writing campaign requesting a partial refund. I think you should be due some compensation back.

In the future- you need to ask before you checked out. They probably would have given you a partial refund right there. Asking after isn’t always successful

Let us know how you make out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are correct, you should have gotten a nice rate reduction from the hotel. The free beer doesn't count for much! My colleagues are also right, it would have been better to negotiate the issue before checking out. I've had occasional issues with hotels, and I figure out exactly what I want before trotting down the front desk and asking for it. For instance, if I'm there for one night and loud music plays until 330am, I ask for a 50% discount on the room rate. If I'm there for a week and never get a decent shower, I do the same. For little stuff, I just report it, don't ask for a discount. I don't recall ever being turned down. A couple of times I've not been able to deal with an issue before checking out, and it's more time consuming and difficult to try to fix it later.

Dec 19, 2014
How significant was the service reduction? The exact rate adjustment really depends on how you were impacted.

I would write the general manager a polite letter detailing how your experience was impacted and a proposed solution, but make sure the solution is realistic. Asking for 100% refund is unrealistic.

Mar 23, 2015
I would emphasize that while you sympathize with the hoteliers and their efforts to maintain hospitality during the strike, that you choose to stay at a Ritz Carlton expecting a certain standard of service that simply was unavailable. I wouldn't ask for a full refund--you clearly slept there and even had a free beer or two, but spell out what WAS missing: no clean towels? no bed-making? limited or no menu? Or was it just unpleasant walking thru the strikers? I know a lot of people don't think that clean towels and a neatly made bed count for much but I love those little details of staying in a hotel that make it... well, not home! Good Luck! Keep on being polite and I hope you get a little something for your trouble!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How significant was the service reduction? The exact rate adjustment really depends on how you were impacted.
I missed this ... the service reduction details and how you were impacted is very important. No restaurant? No clean linens? No hotel operator? No help with luggage? Those are important aspects of a hotel stay. No room service? No mini-bar replenishment? No evening turn-down? Not so much. It really boils down to your expectations and preferences and the degree to which your stay was marred. Stating the aspects that were missing and important to you is very important to the reader who is in a position to help you.

Aug 30, 2015
I understand that the workers need a living wage as well as good working conditions. However, I am concerned that "destination" and "resort" fees will become more commonplace and in fact increase. Legislative changes are required so that hotels cannot add in fees to the rooms (requiring disclosure is not a solution). Once they are put on a legislated path to proper income management, they can renegotiate those booking fees, which are unreasonably high in many situations, and also negotiate living wages for their employees. I might add that I do not appreciate those "begging" envelopes in the rooms for "tips". Their financial model should not be taking tips into consideration either. And yes, they should give a reduction in price for this stay. I hope that if there was a destination/resort fee that it is included in any room rate reduction on this issue.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I understand that the workers need a living wage as well as good working conditions. However, I am concerned that "destination" and "resort" fees will become more commonplace and in fact increase. Legislative changes are required so that hotels cannot add in fees to the rooms (requiring disclosure is not a solution). Once they are put on a legislated path to proper income management, they can renegotiate those booking fees, which are unreasonably high in many situations, and also negotiate living wages for their employees. I might add that I do not appreciate those "begging" envelopes in the rooms for "tips". Their financial model should not be taking tips into consideration either. And yes, they should give a reduction in price for this stay. I hope that if there was a destination/resort fee that it is included in any room rate reduction on this issue.
You make good points, Bill, but the hotel lobby is as strong as the airline lobby. Soon we will hear about how many millions the big chains are raking in with their dopey fees. We have no real governance in this country, Americans are left to sink or swim ... and I have a feeling it's gonna get worse. We have to vote with our wallets, nobody will help us.