Storage Companies During Gov't Shutdown

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2019
In September 2017, I started storing my items at CubeSmart in Massachusetts. I
moved to Washington, DC to care for a sick relative who just passed in September 2018, and now I am in the gov't shutdown as a contractual employee.

I got behind on my balance but CubeSmart has offered me no payment plan. Everything always has to be paid in full.

The regional manager's only concern was to ask, "How did I get her phone number?" Cubesmart states they will sell the storage unit without any respect for the gov't shutdown affecting over 800,000 people with no end in sight.

What is wrong with these people? Are there no protections or support for government workers? I feel we will lose everything, our storage units, homes, cars and end up homeless.

Jan 30, 2018
I am very sorry for your plight and I hope the shutdown ends soon. It never should have happened. But, business is business and they have their own policies. If I understand correctly, you were previously behind in your payments. Perhaps that is why they will not work with you now.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
In September 2017, I started storing my items at CubeSmart in Massachusetts. I
moved to Washington, DC to care for a sick relative who just passed in September 2018, and now I am in the gov't shutdown as a contractual employee.

I got behind on my balance but CubeSmart has offered me no payment plan. Everything always has to be paid in full.

The regional manager's only concern was to ask, "How did I get her phone number?" Cubesmart states they will sell the storage unit without any respect for the gov't shutdown affecting over 800,000 people with no end in sight.

What is wrong with these people? Are there no protections or support for government workers? I feel we will lose everything, our storage units, homes, cars and end up homeless.
Try calling a local news channel in Mass and see if they might be interested in publicizing this. Some outside pressure may get CubeSmart to change their tune.

Also check with your local bank. In Colorado, some banks are offering no interest loans for those affected by the shutdown.

Jan 16, 2019
I’m very sorry that you are involved in this mess with not being paid. It’s a terrible situation. But my question is the same as LD- were you already behind in payments before the shut down?
Hi, Neil. No, we were current but with the funeral expenses and then the shutdown you have limited resources so quickly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Maybe if we can get the company contacts for CubeSmart you can appeal to the Executives for some relief until you get back to work. If you are up to date, I would think that the Executives wouldn’t want publicity that your items are being auctioned off due to the government shutdown.

Try completing this request :
https://www.elliott.org/research/

I would also suggest you look to see if they have a Facebook page and post about it there, you might get a very quick response .