Stolen item from damaged baggage-KLM refuses compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 5, 2019
I found my baggage damaged after a trip with KLM from Mexico city to Athens via Amsterdam and an electric device(which was in the baggage) was missing.I submitted the claim next day at KLM website.They repaired my baggage and asked for a receipt for the electric device.I mailed a copy of the receipt of my laptop but they refuse to compensate me ,because on the claim submitted I used the word " iPad" for it.
The original message was:
"...Please allow us to inform that document provided (receipt) is not corresponding to the item declared missing.
As the compensation has to be worked out based on the proven value of the damage reported we regret but cannot acede on processing this."

What's your desired resolution? I'd like to have my laptop's value compensated.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 760

Date of transaction/travel date: 2019-11-05

Nov 29, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm thinking there are two separate issues here:
You indicate that you put iPad on the form, but you meant to put a laptop - it would make sense for the airline to decide that this doesn't add up and deny the claim. Like @Yul Ullu suggests, have you tried putting in a new, correct, claim?

Second, it is unusual to transport a device like a laptop in checked luggage. It is explicitly recommended not to do so by airlines, including KLM, and they usually only accept limited liability. Was there a reason you checked your luggage including a laptop, maybe gate checking? For now it looks like the claim was declined for inconsistency, but I would be surprised if no one asked a question about this at some point.

Jul 30, 2018
I agree with my fellow forum friends: electronics should never go into checked baggage. In addition to the risk of theft, checked baggage isn't handled in a delicate manner and so items can be easily damaged.

Apple products are high-theft items. In the two times I attended freshman orientation with my kids (two separate colleges) I was strongly advised by administrators to insure all Apple products because they have a propensity to vanish into thin air.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is awful, but not surprising. I hope that filing a second claim might help. One of my colleagues once famously said, "When you pack your suitcase, expect to never see any of those things again". When you stop and think about it, a Dutch airline trying to pursue this at a Mexican airport ... not a reassuring picture. Before you submit that second claim, look up KLM's policy on goods stolen out of a checked bag to see what's what.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If there was a lithium battery in the laptop, it’s forbidden by IATA to be in a checked bag - it needs to be in a carry on.

Regulatory Requirements
1.1 Lithium Batteries – Passenger / Crew Provisions
All lithium batteries carried by passengers or crew are subject to the provisions of Part 8, Chapter 1 of the ICAO Technical Instructions. The provisions of the ICAO Technical Instructions are contained in Subsection 2.3 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR).
The provisions set out in DGR 2.3 for lithium batteries provide for the following:
A. Operatorapprovalnotrequired:
a) each installed or spare battery must not exceed:
1. for lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 g; or
2. for lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh.
b) batteries and cells must be of a type that meets the requirements of the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3;
c) articles containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, the primary purpose of which is to provide power to another device, e.g. power banks, and spare lithium batteries are permitted in carry-on baggage only.
Note: Specific security regulations may prevent the carriage of some peripherals, spare batteries and power banks in carry-on baggage.
1st Edition

Feb 7, 2016
I agree with Neil here. If it indeed was a laptop - it was probably removed from you let bag by security at your departure airport.

Dec 5, 2019
Dear all
Thank you so much for your interest and advice!
It was really the first (and last) time I've put an electric device of this kind in my checked baggage.I did it because I already had a very heavy handbaggage to carry!The laptop's battery was at the lower level of charge and it was a 40Wh battery,wich is not excluded from checked baggage ,due to KLM instructions.
I couldn't open a new claim correctly identifying what was stolen,because at the time KLM customer care informed me about the fact that they can't accept the receipt provided,the deadline for opening a new claim has been expired!
I don't think the item was removed from my checked baggage by security -on this occasion a confirmation about the event would have been left in my baggage.
Once again many Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dear all
Thank you so much for your interest and advice!
It was really the first (and last) time I've put an electric device of this kind in my checked baggage.I did it because I already had a very heavy handbaggage to carry!The laptop's battery was at the lower level of charge and it was a 40Wh battery,wich is not excluded from checked baggage ,due to KLM instructions.
I couldn't open a new claim correctly identifying what was stolen,because at the time KLM customer care informed me about the fact that they can't accept the receipt provided,the deadline for opening a new claim has been expired!
I don't think the item was removed from my checked baggage by security -on this occasion a confirmation about the event would have been left in my baggage.
Once again many Thanks
Not necessarily. I’ve had my bags opened with no notes left in it and I only knew about it because the items were disheveled and my luggage lock was missing. They don’t always put paperwork in. And they can’t tell what kind of battery your laptop has in it by X-ray.

I still would suggest contacting the airport.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Not necessarily. I’ve had my bags opened with no notes left in it and I only knew about it because the items were disheveled and my luggage lock was missing. They don’t always put paperwork in. And they can’t tell what kind of battery your laptop has in it by X-ray.

I still would suggest contacting the airport.
Respectfully Neil, if there is no note from TSA that they inspected your bag, then you don’t really know who did open it. Could have been after the bag went through TSA, someone looking for steal worthy items.

Feb 12, 2019
Respectfully Neil, if there is no note from TSA that they inspected your bag, then you don’t really know who did open it. Could have been after the bag went through TSA, someone looking for steal worthy items.
Considering the OP left from Mexico City even if a note was left it would not be from the TSA. I don't know Mexico's policy on inspecting bags, but maybe someone else here does.