Spirit won't honor vouchers issued for giving up seats on overbooked flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 31, 2016
gave us 6 vouchers and now will not honor them. Said all flights from November through June 30th have "no voucher seats" and we can pay if we want without using the vouchers.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
That seems ridiculous that the airline is stating "no voucher seats" for the next 7 months! What I understand is vouchers are airline funny money, they have a face value for a certain dollar amount to be used toward the purchase of a ticket. Does Spirit use them differently?Do you have the terms of the vouchers available to you? If so, please post the terms here (do not post the voucher code numbers though). It would be helpful to know the details of the vouchers before we give you any advice on how to proceed.

Oct 31, 2016
That seems ridiculous that the airline is stating "no voucher seats" for the next 7 months! What I understand is vouchers are airline funny money, they have a face value for a certain dollar amount to be used toward the purchase of a ticket. Does Spirit use them differently?Do you have the terms of the vouchers available to you? If so, please post the terms here (do not post the voucher code numbers though). It would be helpful to know the details of the vouchers before we give you any advice on how to proceed.
Hi GREG. We're really sorry that we couldn't get you on your flight. We care about your satisfaction and want to make this right.

Please accept our apologies along with this voucher for future travel to any of our destinations.

NOTE: You will need to book with your voucher before the expiration date, but you DO NOT need to travel by then - your travel dates can be later. Additional terms and conditions apply.*

You may use your voucher by calling Reservations at 1.801.401.2222, Option 3. Provide your information at each of the prompts and tell the representative that you are redeeming the voucher.

*The voucher The voucher must be booked before the expiration date(s) above for travel on any flight dates available on spirit.com (when applicable) or through reservations.

I think someone at Spirit is confusing "Voucher" with "Reward Seat" because I just went to the Spirit site and went through the booking process ("Loading something awesome" about eight times). When I got to the payment page there was a place to use vouchers for payment. These payments were restricted to airfare but it appears that if the vouchers had not expired, they could be used by the person to whom they were issued without restriction. I could be wrong because I didn't have a voucher to try.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Okay, so basically its a voucher, i.e. reward seat, for a free flight anywhere Spirit flies. When is the expiration date?

What I would suggest is to write to the execs, one at a time, explaining in a brief and polite manner how they have given you something that cannot be used within a reasonable timeframe based on their reservation system (note the expiration date in your correspondence). I would suggest asking for airline "funny money" instead. That allows you to use a dollar amount credit towards a purchased ticket, say $200 for each voucher. The names and email addresses for Spirit execs can be found using the link at the top of this forum, Company Contacts. Write to only one person at a time, waiting one week for a reply. If you do not hear from him/her after one week, move to the next exec on the list. Please let us know your progress and check back here to see if anyone has another suggestion. Good luck!

Okay, so basically its a voucher, i.e. reward seat, for a free flight anywhere Spirit flies. When is the expiration date?

What I would suggest is to write to the execs, one at a time, explaining in a brief and polite manner how they have given you something that cannot be used within a reasonable timeframe based on their reservation system (note the expiration date in your correspondence). I would suggest asking for airline "funny money" instead. That allows you to use a dollar amount credit towards a purchased ticket, say $200 for each voucher. The names and email addresses for Spirit execs can be found using the link at the top of this forum, Company Contacts. Write to only one person at a time, waiting one week for a reply. If you do not hear from him/her after one week, move to the next exec on the list. Please let us know your progress and check back here to see if anyone has another suggestion. Good luck!
If it's a voucher with a dollar amount it can be used. If it's a voucher for a free flight it would be subject to availability. They're two different animals. Don't know which one we're dealing with here.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If it's a voucher with a dollar amount it can be used. If it's a voucher for a free flight it would be subject to availability. They're two different animals. Don't know which one we're dealing with here.
I interpret the sentence below (part of the correspondence from the airline to the OP) as it is for a free flight:

Please accept our apologies along with this voucher for future travel to any of our destinations.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I've never flown Spirit or looked at its rules but if an airline gave me "voucher" as compensation for something it did wrong then I would assume it's a free floating form of payment that I could apply towards my next flight, so long as I book before the expiration date. Did you try to book the tickets as @George M did and enter the voucher info on the payment screen?

Feb 9, 2016
You definitely should be able to redeem it.

https://customersupport.spirit.com/...o-I-find-and-redeem-my-Future-Travel-Voucher-

It does look like you have to use it within 60 days of issuance.

what was the date it was issued?

This TOC is SO ambiguous....
Future Travel Vouchers must be booked within 60 days of issuance for travel on any flight dates available in the system.

Initially, I would read it as "any date where they are flying a plane". After your post, I realize it probably means any flights that have seats available to apply a voucher credit towards.

If I had a representative on the phone telling me there were no seats available within the 60 day window, I would ask that representative how to get an extension on my voucher expiration. If the rep said "too bad, so sad" I would start emailing executives.

You didn't say what the initial issue was that had Spirit giving you vouchers in the first place?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
You definitely should be able to redeem it.

https://customersupport.spirit.com/...o-I-find-and-redeem-my-Future-Travel-Voucher-

It does look like you have to use it within 60 days of issuance.

what was the date it was issued?

This TOC is SO ambiguous....
Future Travel Vouchers must be booked within 60 days of issuance for travel on any flight dates available in the system.

Initially, I would read it as "any date where they are flying a plane". After your post, I realize it probably means any flights that have seats available to apply a voucher credit towards.

If I had a representative on the phone telling me there were no seats available within the 60 day window, I would ask that representative how to get an extension on my voucher expiration. If the rep said "too bad, so sad" I would start emailing executives.

You didn't say what the initial issue was that had Spirit giving you vouchers in the first place?
Actually, the reason is in the title of the thread: giving up seats on an oversold flight.

The airlines are encouraging passengers NOT to give up their seats in exchange for vouchers when they make them impossible to use! A well worn phrase comes to mind.........no good deed goes unpunished.

Feb 9, 2016
Actually, the reason is in the title of the thread: giving up seats on an oversold flight.

The airlines are encouraging passengers NOT to give up their seats in exchange for vouchers when they make them impossible to use! A well worn phrase comes to mind.........no good deed goes unpunished.
Ah! TY! I missed that (long title got truncated)

Spirit sux

Normally I would suggest a letter writing campaign but here's the big question I pose to the advocates - what can LW ask for? Typically we advise an extension on the voucher but, if there are no flights for the next 215 days, a 60 day extension isn't going to help. What do they ask for/

Once that is figured out, I would start a letter writing campaign. Skip customer service and start at the executives. Hopefully you have a compelling (read tugging at the heartstrings) reason for giving up your seats. Be polite, try to say some positive things about the experience of flying with Spirit, that you gave up your seats in good faith, and now it seems that your vouchers are worthless.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you only talk to one rep at the airline? This doesn't make sense. Before writing, I'd try calling back and getting another rep. on the phone and if you get the same answer, ask for a supervisor. This doesn't make sense.

If another call doesn't get seats, then start your letter writing campaign.

As someone who has to call suppliers all the time, I usually know when I am getting bad information and hang up and call back trying to get a different customer service rep.