Spirit refuses ticket refund for legal issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 26, 2019
I am disabled and an adult survivor of both childhood sexual abuse, and now, dating violence. The airline is being uncooperative despite: 1) contact initiated with them regarding the issue at least 10 days prior to the departure; and 2) continual submission of official documentation and pending criminal charges against my abuser, who is scheduled to take the same flight. I need a full refund for a base economy ticket due to an injunction I will have at the time against said person who recently assaulted me. Furthermore, there are scheduled court hearings and attorney appointments I must attend during the timeframe of the reservation itinerary. I would just like a full refund of $147.59, which I desperately need right now due to financial hardship caused by my disability and the assault. I have been a loyal customer of theirs for a few years, but because of their uncooperativeness in such a serious matter, I will not consider flying Spirit again unless I achieve a satisfactory resolution.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You may have a legal issue but it’s not one that requires an airline to refund a non refundable ticket if you cancel.

However you do have extenuating circumstances. How is this guy going to fly with a pending court case?

Please use our company contacts on top of our page and read this thread below on how to write;

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Start at the first executive shown and give him or her a week to reply. If they don’t or the answer is no, write to the next one. Continue weekly until you get all the way through and he executIve list if necessary.

Spirit is tough- they don’t usually budge- but I’d like to think a sympathetic executive might be willing to help. Please let us know how you make out.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@Neil Maley has given you a great place to start. Keep in mind when you write to Spirit that they are under NO OBLIGATION to refund you. So when you write to them, acknowledge that you are asking for an exception to the fare rules but hope they can offer some relief to you during your trying times. Never threaten pulling your business (they don't care) and don't talk about loyalty (they don't care). Just ask, plain and simple, if they would kindly refund your ticket.

Would you be okay with a credit for a future flight? If so, you have a better chance of receiving that request.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If you have a TRO against this person, I would think alerting airport police ahead of time that he is booked on same flight, they may not allow him to board.
It sounds like she is not interested in taking the trip any longer based on court dates, etc.

Apr 27, 2018
As someone who has worked in customer service for many years I can tell the OP that I have sympathy for her past but it has nothing to do with her current situation, as well as her disability. What is important is that she feels that she can't be on the same flight as the person who she has the injunction against. If there are other details which will help her case, such as the trip interfering with a court date or the visit not being feasible due to the trip involving contact with the abuser (for example if the trip was to visit family of the abuser). I think the reality is the best case situation is that they might move you to a different flight or offer you a credit. Would this be okay or is this just about getting your money back?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Your letter is written to seem like you believe that you're entitled to a full refund of a totally non-refundable tix. This will not get you very far in your quest for compensation. As Patina states, the airline doesn't care about any of it. The only road towards a resolution is for you to politely ask for an exception to their rules. I wish you well, good luck.

Aug 29, 2018
I was once in this situation (though not a restraining order.)

My partner and I went on a trip together, but we broke up during the trip. Yes, there was yelling (by both of us.) There was no physical contact, nor were any threats uttered. Despite that, my ex-partner told the airline he was afraid to fly on the same plane, so I ended up being bumped. And since it was the last flight of the day to Newark, I ended up bumped to Laguardia. No compensation....

This was in 1985.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015

My partner and I went on a trip together, but we broke up during the trip. Yes, there was yelling (by both of us.) There was no physical contact, nor were any threats uttered. Despite that, my ex-partner told the airline he was afraid to fly on the same plane, so I ended up being bumped. And since it was the last flight of the day to Newark, I ended up bumped to Laguardia. No compensation....

This was in 1985.
Well that’s sad but bet you were happy to get on that plane to LaGuardia in any case.

May 26, 2019
You may have a legal issue but it’s not one that requires an airline to refund a non refundable ticket if you cancel.

However you do have extenuating circumstances. How is this guy going to fly with a pending court case?

Please use our company contacts on top of our page and read this thread below on how to write;

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Start at the first executive shown and give him or her a week to reply. If they don’t or the answer is no, write to the next one. Continue weekly until you get all the way through and he executIve list if necessary.

Spirit is tough- they don’t usually budge- but I’d like to think a sympathetic executive might be willing to help. Please let us know how you make out.
Neil,

My issue has been successfully resolved! See the attached email I received from Spirit. Thank you so much for your input as to how to approach this matter!

tflair70

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

This was in 1985.
What an awful story! But I'm having to stifle my laughter ... your partner definitely had the last word. It's like from a movie. How could anyone be so evil as to even think this up? Anyone who would pull a trick like that is not to be trusted. I'm sure I don't need to mention that you are WELL rid of him/her.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Neil,

My issue has been successfully resolved! See the attached email I received from Spirit. Thank you so much for your input as to how to approach this matter!

tflair70
We don't open attachments, and there wasn't one anyway. Please just tell us what the emails says. Glad we were able to help.

Aug 29, 2018
What an awful story! But I'm having to stifle my laughter ... your partner definitely had the last word. It's like from a movie. How could anyone be so evil as to even think this up? Anyone who would pull a trick like that is not to be trusted. I'm sure I don't need to mention that you are WELL rid of him/her.
Actually, 30 years later I am the one traveling the world with a wonderful partner and the partner's daughter, and the one who did that is still living at home. So maybe karma worked out OK, after all. ;-)