Spirit Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 21, 2019
I originally booked with Spirit Airlines on 2-10-19 for a flight departing on 4-24-19. I allowed 3.5 hours for travel to the airport, but unfortunately was detained with gridlock traffic and arrived 5 minutes before takeoff. The ticket agent at the airport rescheduled a flight for me the following day. I returned home and became severely ill. I called that evening to cancel the flight, and the airline representative offered me a partial refund in the form of a future travel voucher. When I said that I did not have future travel plans and needed a refund on my credit card, he mentioned that I could get a full refund if I submitted a form along with a doctor's to validate a severe illness. He guided me through their website to the appropriate form. I did visit my doctor and she provided a letter which I forwarded to the airlines, but they are still offering a travel voucher, however now it is the full amount of $510. I am now undergoing further medical tests and following doctor's orders. Is there any way to get a refund?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what Spirit says about cancellations. They are offering you exactly what their cancellation policy states:

If you cancel your reservation outside of 24 hours from booking or it is less than 7 days before you travel, any remaining balance less cancellation charges will be issued in a credit voucher.

Sep 19, 2015
From what Neil wrote it sounds like there was a waiving of cancellation fees.

And it sounds as if there was a;ready a gesture done when the original flight was missed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I originally booked with Spirit Airlines on 2-10-19 for a flight departing on 4-24-19. I allowed 3.5 hours for travel to the airport, but unfortunately was detained with gridlock traffic and arrived 5 minutes before takeoff. The ticket agent at the airport rescheduled a flight for me the following day. I returned home and became severely ill. I called that evening to cancel the flight, and the airline representative offered me a partial refund in the form of a future travel voucher. When I said that I did not have future travel plans and needed a refund on my credit card, he mentioned that I could get a full refund if I submitted a form along with a doctor's to validate a severe illness. He guided me through their website to the appropriate form. I did visit my doctor and she provided a letter which I forwarded to the airlines, but they are still offering a travel voucher, however now it is the full amount of $510. I am now undergoing further medical tests and following doctor's orders. Is there any way to get a refund?
Probably not, but by all means give it a try. Compose a polite, concise email outlining your medical challenges and ask them for a refund. Be very appreciative. Submit to customer service first, wait a week and use our Company Contacts to climb up the beanstalk. It's a very long shot, but we see miracles here occasionally. Good luck and please let us know what happens.