Spirit airlines "free ticket"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 23, 2019
Good evening,

I am posting a copy of the email I have sent to the higher ups of Spirit Airlines after being shot down by every rep and supervisor I have spoken to on the phone. If anyone can help please let me know. Thank you.

Good afternoon,

My name is Kayla Taylor. My free spirit account number is xxxxxxxx.

First I would like to tell you what I am needing:

My sister, Lisa Taylor, has an existing reservation to fly out of Kansas City to LAX on Monday 3-25-19. We need to add a one way ticket for her two year old, my nephew, to fly with her. Her confirmation number is xxxxxx.

The problem: in August I had a flight with your airline where I won 5,000 free spirit miles because I was in the "lucky seat." When I won I was told it was good for one round trip ticket. I was not given any more information other than I had to register my miles within 60 days. I got online and I did that. If you look at my account.... There is no record of me doing this. That is problem one.

Problem two is when I tried to use them to book a ticket at the beginning of the month when we booked my sister's ticket it would not let me check out so we waited and called in and got the run around until finally two days ago I was told it was because I was not a Spirit card holder so I could not use the miles (if they showed up even) and that I would need 10,000 miles!

Had I known this was the case we would have gotten my nephew's ticket when there were $50 not $237!.

I called again and spoke to a supervisor. Which I do have recorded and will send to you if that helps anything. He would do nothing but waive the $25 fee for the phone transaction.

I need a ticket, one way, for the 25th for a two year old. I am willing to pay $100 for the ticket. I can't afford any more and if I had known, once again, about the stipulations my '"free ticket" had I would never have waited to book.

I use Spirit every time I fly and I recommend you to everyone I know. I am very upset about this whole situation and the way the " lucky seat" is presented to your customers is not in fact the truth. It is misleading and I can't imagine this is the first complaint about this kind of thing..

Please help us.

Thank you so much,
Kayla Taylor

Note- Edited by moderator to remove account number and record locator.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 23, 2019
I never received an email with any terms and conditions.

The flight attendant called attention to him and told everyone about the spirit card, passed around those papers if anyone was then said one lucky passenger has won a "free round trip ticket!" Then we were told to look on the trays in front of us for the lucky sticker. Which was my seat.

Everyone clapped on the plane and then he handed me a certificate thing. It wasn't on regular paper and it was like a brochure size.

I tried to use it in October when I registered it but I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and the circumstances of me needing a ticket changed so I just thought "oh well, I'll save my miles" no problem. Now there is no record of them on my account and I am now informed of all these other stipulations.

It's just very frustrating as I would have helped my sister book a ticket when we got hers for $50 dollars. (Around there)

Now it is over $200. Listen I understand marketing techniques and gimmicks to get you to sign up for something. This was not presented in that way and that is what I am upset about. On the voucher thing itself the only limitation or restriction noted was some dates are subject to availability/ black out dates.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have a copy of the voucher you can take a picture of and post here so we can see what it says?

Use our company contacts and write to Spirit. The best you will bet is then to reinstate the points for another 90 days. We call it artful begging- and that is probably the best you will get.

Again, the FA may have not understood the program either- we have seen many instances here of an employee giving consumers wrong information but if you don’t choose a flight that is worth 5,000 points there isn’t much you can do. They might be good for a one way fare to a small city but not a round trip. Didn’t the certificate refer you to the online information to register the points? The link goes right to the page on the Spirit website that I posted- wasn’t that the screen you registered on?

They probably can’t find your points because they have expired. These airline gimmicks really are not as wonderful as they seem.

If your son has to travel that specific date there isn’t anything you can do about the price. 5,000 miles most likely would not have been enough anyway. Spirit only has several low priced seats in each flight and the price goes up as soon as those seats are gone.

I would suggest you buy the seat ASAP before the price goes up higher.

Sep 19, 2015
In the link Neil posted it says that one has to register within 14 days:

To redeem your 5,000 miles, you must register at www.spirit.com/redeem within 14 days of the flight. If you're not a registered FREE SPIRIT member, you must do so online at www.spirit.com first. The Lucky Seat miles will be posted to your FREE SPIRIT account within 45 days of redemption.

If the lucky seat was in August registering in October was already too late.

I agree with Neil — a lot of time has passed and if travel is in 2 days it is better to book now

Mar 14, 2018
As Christina and Neil have said, your window to claim the 5000 miles has long past.

Even if it had not, though, a flight from Kansas City to LAX on 3/25/19 would be a Region 2 flight at peak time. You would need 17,500 miles each way (35,000 miles round trip) to get this ticket for free. This information is published on Spirit's web site: https://www.spirit.com/FreeSpiritUseMiles.aspx

If you want your nephew to travel, you'll need to purchase a ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As Christina and Neil have said, your window to claim the 5000 miles has long past.

Even if it had not, though, a flight from Kansas City to LAX on 3/25/19 would be a Region 2 flight at peak time. You would need 17,500 miles each way (35,000 miles round trip) to get this ticket for free. This information is published on Spirit's web site: https://www.spirit.com/FreeSpiritUseMiles.aspx

If you want your nephew to travel, you'll need to purchase a ticket.
And THIS is where the entry level 5,000 round trip ticket is mentioned. You must have their master card for that. Plus the miles are only for YOUR use- you couldn’t have bought a ticket for you nephew with them anyway:

“Mileage credit and award tickets are non-transferable. Mileage credit cannot be transferred from one FREE SPIRIT account to another (other than with respect to duplicate accounts as described below). Free Sprit miles cannot be sold, gifted, attached, or seized. FREE SPIRIT accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage credit, nor award tickets are transferable by the member (1) as part of a domestic relations matter, (2) upon death, or (3) by otherwise based on the operation of law.”

https://storefront.points.com/free-spirit/en-US/gift

“Round-trip award tickets start as low as 5,000 miles (with taxes and fees starting from $12 each) when you purchase with your Spirit World Mastercard®.”

It seems you are very confused about how this whole thing works- but the information is all on Spirits website.

So from our collective research using Spirits website, this is what we have found about the program:

1. You needed to register the points within 14 days of your initial flight- not the 60 days you claim.

2. Once registered you have 90 days to book a ticket with the 5,000 points. After 90 days you lose the miles. If your flight was in August, the points expired by the 1st of this year. You were far past the date to use them. This is why the points aren’t showing up- they are expired.

3. You could have booked a round trip ticket beginning at 5,000 miles if you had a Spirit credit card. Otherwise, the 5,000 would only partially pay for a flight. You didn’t need the credit card to use the 5,000 points- you simply couldn’t have booked much with only 5,000 miles.

4. Award tickets are not valid for every flight either so there may not have been any for your sisters flight.

5. Award miles can only be used for your own travel.

Here are the terms and conditions. This is where it states that the miles can only be used by you and they expire if there is no activity for 90 days.

https://www.spirit.com/content/documents/en-us/FS_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I never received an email with any terms and conditions.

The flight attendant called attention to him and told everyone about the spirit card, passed around those papers if anyone was then said one lucky passenger has won a "free round trip ticket!" Then we were told to look on the trays in front of us for the lucky sticker. Which was my seat.

Everyone clapped on the plane and then he handed me a certificate thing. It wasn't on regular paper and it was like a brochure size.

I tried to use it in October when I registered it but I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and the circumstances of me needing a ticket changed so I just thought "oh well, I'll save my miles" no problem. Now there is no record of them on my account and I am now informed of all these other stipulations.

It's just very frustrating as I would have helped my sister book a ticket when we got hers for $50 dollars. (Around there)

Now it is over $200. Listen I understand marketing techniques and gimmicks to get you to sign up for something. This was not presented in that way and that is what I am upset about. On the voucher thing itself the only limitation or restriction noted was some dates are subject to availability/ black out dates.
If your flight took place in August, you needed to register it within two weeks according to Spirits website. So registering it in October voided the certificate since it was more then 14 days after your flight.

Does the certificate say you have 60 days to add it?