Spirit Airline-No Refund, No Voucher for cancellation due to Death in family

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 14, 2016
I find this to be absolutely reprehensible for an airline to treat people in this manner.
I booked a flight with Spirit Airlines to attend a wedding in Baltimore MD for Aug 26, 2016 for myself and husband. Flight leaving at 4:20 PM that Friday.
On the morning (10:30AM) of Aug 26, 2016 my Mother-in-law passed away. I called Spirit Airlines and advised of the situation and that I needed to cancel the flight. Of course I got the response of "so sorry for you loss" --- "but because you have not canceled 24 hrs ahead of time we can not refund you money." I asked to speak with a manager but was denied stating that the manager would not be able to do anything for me either. I even asked instead of a refund for a voucher to be able to use at another time. The answer still NO.
I advised the service representative that you can not pick and choose when your family members pass away and that there was no way we could now go on this flight with this situation. Still the customer representative was adamant that Spirit would not refund any money. I was told further more the Cancellation Charges were more than what I paid for the flights so the best she would do is Zero the money out. After being on the phone too long already I just told her do whatever you have to do. We won't be on the flight.

Can you please help get the $232.36 back? I know Spirit keeps the flights prices lower and has rules to follow in order to do this but I think death should be the one exception to any of their rules.
Spirit Airlines Cancellation Confirmation: [REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@Lisa G We suggest you do all your requesting via email and stay off the phone. Start with writing to customer service via the airline's website (if you haven't done so already). Consider asking them to waive the change fee so you can use the value of the tickets for a future flight. Airlines are more willing to give you vouchers or a waiver of fees rather than refunds. When writing the email, remember to be brief, polite and professional. The person reading your email did not make the initial decision so you want to write in a way that engages them rather than offends them (after all, they work for the airline so they must believe in it to some degree). Stay away from things that would be considered insulting such as reprehensible or "I will never fly your airline again" sorts of things. You are asking for an exception to their terms of contract so, as other advocates say, artfully beg for their consideration. If you do not have any luck contacting customer service then use the Company Contacts link at the top of this forum to find the email addresses for Spirit's execs. Write to them one at a time, not all at once, waiting one week for a reply. If you do not like their response or do not receive a reply, escalate to the next name on the list. If you would like to post a draft of your email prior to sending, we can offer some critiques for editing. Those passengers that have been successful in the past are the ones that stay professional and extremely polite. Good luck and let us know your progress!

Sep 14, 2016
@Lisa G We suggest you do all your requesting via email and stay off the phone. Start with writing to customer service via the airline's website (if you haven't done so already). Consider asking them to waive the change fee so you can use the value of the tickets for a future flight. Airlines are more willing to give you vouchers or a waiver of fees rather than refunds. When writing the email, remember to be brief, polite and professional. The person reading your email did not make the initial decision so you want to write in a way that engages them rather than offends them (after all, they work for the airline so they must believe in it to some degree). Stay away from things that would be considered insulting such as reprehensible or "I will never fly your airline again" sorts of things. You are asking for an exception to their terms of contract so, as other advocates say, artfully beg for their consideration. If you do not have any luck contacting customer service then use the Company Contacts link at the top of this forum to find the email addresses for Spirit's execs. Write to them one at a time, not all at once, waiting one week for a reply. If you do not like their response or do not receive a reply, escalate to the next name on the list. If you would like to post a draft of your email prior to sending, we can offer some critiques for editing. Those passengers that have been successful in the past are the ones that stay professional and extremely polite. Good luck and let us know your progress!