Southwest won't extend my airfare credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Feb 17, 2021
I have a Southwest airfare credit that is set to expire in April 2021. This credit resulted from an airfare adjustment that I made when my original Midway to Fort Meyers flight had a reduction in price. I have contacted Southwest customer service, and they refused to extend the expiration date. I even contacted the CEO of Southwest, but of course, I did not get a response. Here's that happened:

I had an October 2020 flight booked from Midway to Fort Meyers, Florida for $165.96. I originally booked it in April, 2020. Between the date of purchase and actual flight, I was able to reduce my airfare by $70. Then, in October 2021, I cancelled my flight due to the COVID situation. I am 67 years old with health issues, and I thought that flying at that time was too risky to my health. Then resulted in my having two credits: $70, which expires in April of this year and $95.96, which is a credit that Southwest extended the expiration date of September 2022, since they were doing that at the time because of COVID.

Because of COVID, I have no upcoming plans to fly. I would like Southwest to extend the expiration of my $70 credit to September 2022 also, so that I can use both of them for another future flight. I am retired and on a fixed income. I cannot afford to lose even $70. I am not asking for a refund, I only want to be able to use my entire credits.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, as much as SW is the most consumer friendly airline, we haven’t seen any indication that they will extend credits.

However, if enough people that have expiring credits write to them, maybe they will change their policy. If you do a search on our site in airlines for SW, you will see you aren’t the only one with this issue.

Here are our contacts for SW:

Here is how to write: