Southwest flight issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2015
The bit about not wanting to pay for someone else’s checked bag is silly, the airlines have sold them on the idea that the price of their ticket is somehow fixed to the weight or space of the plane, when in truth they run complex algorhythms along with competitive pricing to judge how much profit can be squeezed from each flight.
I have been told that several times when chatting to passengers while waiting to board— one college student said they do not care where they sit and travel with little baggage so they do not want to subsidize me!

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
The bit about not wanting to pay for someone else’s checked bag is silly, the airlines have sold them on the idea that the price of their ticket is somehow fixed to the weight or space of the plane, when in truth they run complex algorhythms along with competitive pricing to judge how much profit can be squeezed from each flight.
I'd rather be flying with an airline making a profit than one going out of business. Anyway, let's get back to helping our original poster.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I wish so much that airlines would just charge enough for a ticket so that everyone can have a bag checked for free. They could still charge more for certain other perks, but really they have caused their own problem by just charging for checked bags. It was a very myopic policy that just makes everyone miserable, truly. People would still fly, trust me, and would get along much better too!
Not myopic, they make BILLIONS of dollars doing this. A brilliant business decision. Their stockholders are ecstatic.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Not myopic, they make BILLIONS of dollars doing this. A brilliant business decision. Their stockholders are ecstatic.
I don't have an issue with it either. This is a new age and people need to get used to it. But that doesn't excuse rudeness between staff and passengers (whether it's the staff or passenger being rude).

Oct 13, 2015
Patina makes a good point. Once the OP threatened to call the police on the SW staff member the situation was bound to go downhill.

Flight attendants are generally not required to make space in the overhead or lift passengers luggage; some may do it as a courtesy but some airlines do not want them doing that because of risk of injury and disability claims.
Just wanted to add that a lot of flight attendants aren't on the clock until aircraft doors close so if they get hurt lifting someone's luggage while the doors are open, those aren't considered work injuries.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I wish so much that airlines would just charge enough for a ticket so that everyone can have a bag checked for free. They could still charge more for certain other perks, but really they have caused their own problem by just charging for checked bags. It was a very myopic policy that just makes everyone miserable, truly. People would still fly, trust me, and would get along much better too!
Also keep in mind that this thread is about Southwest, which does not charge for baggage.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is indeed an astonishing story. I see many issues ... our OP did not state that she wanted someone to put her bag up; it's unclear why she was waving at an FA and not just asking for what she needed. When I read "antisimetic" and "call the police" and "smirking" my antenna vibrates. I would love to know what really happened. I'm glad that someone from the airline has called her; hopefully that will help the situation.

Jul 3, 2016
For what it is worth (very little probably) in my experience on SWA the airline has always been very helpful with carry on bags and prompt with retrieving luggage that is checked. Check your bags and stop worrying about finding space in an overhead bin. It's FREE on SWA for goodness sake!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Just an FYI, I never check bags and it has nothing to do with the cost (since as a frequent flyer I don't have to pay to check bags).
Barry - this is so true and I agree. I have several items I would never put in a checked bag when I travel between my two homes, 3-4x year. The carryon bag gets quite heavy. I have only recently needed help getting the bag up/down from the bins but luckily have easily found others who are very (seemingly at least) willing to help me. When I travel with my husband, he of course, handles all this for me as well as being on the lookout for others who may need some help. He is a really nice, helpful person. Quite often someone needs to stow their bag somewhere other than right above them and passengers are very willing to pass those bags along for deplaning.
I find the attitude that the weaker of us need to check our bags is quite a harsh pronoucement. I often fly SW and all bags fly free. When I fly Frontier or Sun Country, the carryon costs me MORE than a checked bag would cost, so obviously, it’s not the money.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Barry - this is so true and I agree. I have several items I would never put in a checked bag when I travel between my two homes, 3-4x year. The carryon bag gets quite heavy. I have only recently needed help getting the bag up/down from the bins but luckily have easily found others who are very (seemingly at least) willing to help me. When I travel with my husband, he of course, handles all this for me as well as being on the lookout for others who may need some help. He is a really nice, helpful person. Quite often someone needs to stow their bag somewhere other than right above them and passengers are very willing to pass those bags along for deplaning.
I find the attitude that the weaker of us need to check our bags is quite a harsh pronoucement. I often fly SW and all bags fly free. When I fly Frontier or Sun Country, the carryon costs me MORE than a checked bag would cost, so obviously, it’s not the money.
As a guy- it’s annoying to be the one who gets eyed to help. I’m a gentleman and always help but I always ask myself why anyone expects someone else to do this for them. And it isn’t only women- men do it too.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
For what it is worth (very little probably) in my experience on SWA the airline has always been very helpful with carry on bags and prompt with retrieving luggage that is checked. Check your bags and stop worrying about finding space in an overhead bin. It's FREE on SWA for goodness sake!
Except for the fact that many people (including myself) travel with things that should NEVER be put into a checked bag. These forums are full of problems with people who checked irreplaceable items in checked bags only to have them disappear or suffer damage. There is a recent post from an individual who put all of her professional documents into a checked bag which disappeared.

Documents, electronics, cameras, medications, jewelry, among others, should never be checked, free baggage allowance or not.

Like Barry, I can check 2X70 lbs for free but this has no impact on my decision to check certain item.

Apr 25, 2016
If the airlines just enforced their own carry on rules thru would take have half the problems they have.

I get annoyed with people who bring bags that they can’t lift into the overhead and expect someone else will lift it for them. If YOU can’t lift it over your head- then check the bag.
I’m with you 100%. If you can’t manage your own bag, don’t take it. Don’t look to others to do your heavy lifting.

Jan 6, 2019
That sounds like an awful experience. Since you've already received a response after writing to the CEO, what kind of help would you like from us?
Hi Mr. Graham-
I did not receive a reply from the CEO. I heard from an employee named Meg, I believe. She didn't address my complaint, that the attendant made a snide comment about me and then the attendant pulled me off the plane when I smirked. It was ridiculous. I'd like an apology in writing from the attendant and an explanation as to what "she's one of those" means. I'd like a refund of $113 for the flight.

Jan 6, 2019
I’m with you 100%. If you can’t manage your own bag, don’t take it. Don’t look to others to do your heavy lifting.
Didn't you read my note?? I was NOT ASKING for help in putting my bag up. I was asking to move the small personal items to make room for a roller bag. The airline makes repeated announcements to keep the bins op[en for bags, not small personal items that should be placed under the seat, especially on a full flight.
Don't rewrite my message, please.

Feb 11, 2018
I second Neil's comment. Not to take away from the very unpleasant treatment the OP received, but the reality is that if you can't lift your bag into the overhead, you shouldn't depend on the goodwill of others to do it for you. I know this sounds harsh, but there is an alternative as Neil points out--checking the bag.
I also agree. The other thing I picked up on was the OP's assertion that the FA's are in the service industry--implying that their job includes being porters. Not true. The FAs' mission is first and foremost the safety of the passengers. Again, if you can't lift your bag you should check it.

Jan 6, 2019
Except for the fact that many people (including myself) travel with things that should NEVER be put into a checked bag. These forums are full of problems with people who checked irreplaceable items in checked bags only to have them disappear or suffer damage. There is a recent post from an individual who put all of her professional documents into a checked bag which disappeared.

Documents, electronics, cameras, medications, jewelry, among others, should never be checked, free baggage allowance or not.

Like Barry, I can check 2X70 lbs for free but this has no impact on my decision to check certain item.
I fly SWA frequently, I'm a seasoned traveler. I pay for extra bags as I'm a designer and often fly with my product. I don't ask anyone for help with my roller bag. I got on a full flight. The attendants were announcing that travelers should leave room for roller bags in the bins, and keep personal items under their seat.
There was small stuff in the bin taking up valuable room for bags, and I was asking to move the personal items about as per the announcements to make room for a roller bag. That's it, asking to comply with the request of the attendants. Move the small stuff above. Period.

Jan 6, 2019
I also agree. The other thing I picked up on was the OP's assertion that the FA's are in the service industry--implying that their job includes being porters. Not true. The FAs' mission is first and foremost the safety of the passengers. Again, if you can't lift your bag you should check it.
What did this thread come from- I was not asking for an attendant to be a porter. Stick to the facts.

Jan 6, 2019
This happened on Southwest which is one of the few carriers to not charge for checked luggage — SW still gives 2 bags under 50 lbs each— now whether people use the free baggage allowance or not is another question.

I also wish that all airlines allowed one bag checked in but I have been told by people that they do not want to pay extra for people like me to check a bag.....

But cabin crew are not required to lift passenger luggage or rearrange the bin or evict other passengers baggage (in the same cabin).
I didn't ask anyone to lift my bag. I think this thread has totally gone off point.

Status
Not open for further replies.