Southwest Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 14, 2018
Hello.
I booked two one- way flights for two people.
Three days before leaving, my mom’s cancer took a turn for the worse. We were advised not to leave.

Southwest was very good about giving us a credit for future flights.

However, they will not give us credit for the 120.00 we spent on upgrades. $30x2 people x 2 flights.

Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you buy Travel insurance? That would cover these charges which are usually never refundable.

If you don’t, we have a company contacts on top of our pages. Read the information on how to write and then start writing.

Dec 12, 2014
While I haven't looked recently, the Southwest website is pretty transparent that fees such as Early Board boarding (the only upgrade I can think of) is not refundable or changeable.

Feb 10, 2015
If you just change the flight (in which case the confirmation code doesn’t change) Southwest carries over the early-bird boarding to the new itinerary. But if you cancel the flight and get travel funds for later use, it is lost. Also, early bird boarding is only $15-$25 per segment, so I’m not sure where $30 came from.

Sep 19, 2015
If you just change the flight (in which case the confirmation code doesn’t change) Southwest carries over the early-bird boarding to the new itinerary. But if you cancel the flight and get travel funds for later use, it is lost. Also, early bird boarding is only $15-$25 per segment, so I’m not sure where $30 came from.
SW has increased early bird fees on some routes, with dynamic pricing (?!). — not sure if this is the case with these fees

Sep 14, 2018
Did you buy Travel insurance? That would cover these charges which are usually never refundable.

If you don’t, we have a company contacts on top of our pages. Read the information on how to write and then start writing.
Hi. Unfortunately Southwest doesn’t offer trip insurance.

Mar 17, 2015
You can purchase travel insurance independently of the airlines. Have you tried writing to customer service and asking for a one time exception? Southwest is the most generous of the airlines in the change/cancellation policies. You can always write and see if SW will grant you an exception. I am so very sorry about your mother.