Southwest Airlines/ TSA - Jewelry stolen from checked luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2015
One point:

Security ai Bangkok airport, in a well coordinated heist, plucked several $1,000 in camera gear from my carry-on. One agent walked away with my bag while a second blocked my view and asked distracting questions.

I now insist on an inspection in full view, once involving an irate supervisor.

Mar 17, 2016
One point:

Security ai Bangkok airport, in a well coordinated heist, plucked several $1,000 in camera gear from my carry-on. One agent walked away with my bag while a second blocked my view and asked distracting questions.

I now insist on an inspection in full view, once involving an irate supervisor.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Some people are so dishonest they are professionals at what they do. I know I should not have placed my valuables in my luggage and that was my mistake but I do not understand why the employees are not monitored. The airlines as well as TSA know there are problems with theft within their companies/agencies and refuse to impose additional measures or stiff punishment on their employees for misconduct. The employees know nothing will happen and no one will investigate so they continue to do whatever without remorse. I am so disappointed about the way my incident has been handled.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sorry to hear about your loss. Some people are so dishonest they are professionals at what they do. I know I should not have placed my valuables in my luggage and that was my mistake but I do not understand why the employees are not monitored. The airlines as well as TSA know there are problems with theft within their companies/agencies and refuse to impose additional measures or stiff punishment on their employees for misconduct. The employees know nothing will happen and no one will investigate so they continue to do whatever without remorse. I am so disappointed about the way my incident has been handled.
Sharon, you should report it because the only way for the airport to know of a problem is if they get several reports and can pinpoint it to certain areas and put cameras in. If people don't report it, the TSA and airport won't know about it.

But as far as getting anything back, it's pretty much slim to none.

Mar 17, 2016
Sharon, you should report it because the only way for the airport to know of a problem is if they get several reports and can pinpoint it to certain areas and put cameras in. If people don't report it, the TSA and airport won't know about it.

But as far as getting anything back, it's pretty much slim to none.
You are absolutely right. I have reported it and I filled out all the paperwork as well as a police report. I have cried countless hours but I have come to realization my things will never be recovered and a price tag can never be placed on the sentimental value. I have pictures and receipts of everything that was taken and I provided all that information to the airline, TSA and McCarran police department. Thank you for your compassion and your post.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
The airlines as well as TSA know there are problems with theft within their companies/agencies and refuse to impose additional measures or stiff punishment on their employees for misconduct. The employees know nothing will happen and no one will investigate so they continue to do whatever without remorse.
Actually when these theft rings are busted, there are consequences.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...ax-theft-ring-stole-from-fliers-bags/6949949/
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...eft-ring-busted-jfk-airport-article-1.2031818
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us/airport-luggage-theft/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry this happened. I'm originally a Minnesota Lutheran and have a theory about life that keeps me fairly safe. I think that the "bad guys" are far smarter than the good guys ... getting away with almost anything they wish to. I just go through the whole travel experience as if someone wants to steal everything I've packed, and somehow this works. I did have a laptop stolen once out of a hotel parking lot, but that was entirely my own fault. I try not to travel with much that is worth stealing ... only my computer.

Mar 18, 2016
I was flying home from Las Vegas, Nevada (McCarran Airport) on 2/26/2016, I checked (1) bag, in my checked bag I placed 2 blue Tiffany boxes underneath my clothes. The square box content (my pearl necklace with matching earrings and bracelet and my Tiffany necklace with dangling letters T&Co. The rectangle box content my 1 carat diamond anniversary ring; gold 1 carat diamond heart shaped pendant (missing on small stone at the top right corner) and gold hoop earrings. This box also contained some costume jewelry. I placed the items in my luggage because I knew they would only be scanned one time by TSA and then loaded onto the aircraft. There was no way for the baggage handlers to know the contents of my luggage unless someone at the TSA counter tag my luggage for them to go through my bag. When I arrived at Dallas Love Field my luggage was the 3rd piece to roll off the belt. I grabbed my luggage and proceeded to my son's car. When I arrived home, I looked in my bag to give my grand-baby the items I had purchased for her and I realize someone had gone through my luggage and taken my jewelry boxes. I contacted Southwest Lost and Found, this department instructed me to contact Southwest Customer Service, the Customer Service Department instructed me to contact TSA; TSA instructed me to call the Love Field Police Department, Love Field Police Department instructed me to call McCarran Police Department; McCarran Police Department instructed me to contact TSA and this has been a never ended nightmare. I have filled out every form, contacted every department, provided pictures of my jewelry, as well as all information I was asked to provide. The Pearl set was a gift for Mother's Day from my children and the Anniversary Ring was a gift from my ex-husband when we were married and he was serving in the US Army. My heart is broken because those items that were taken from me meant much more than a price tag to me and to know that Southwest (a billion dollar industry will not even return my phone calls or letters of inquiry is even more disheartening). I have pictures and of items that were stolen and Tiffany and Company provided me with a receipt of the necklace that was stolen and a picture.

What's your desired resolution? I would like for Southwest and TSA to work together and give me some of my money back for the items that were stolen from my bag that was in their care. I know camera's are throughout the airport I do not understand why TSA will not pull the tape to determine if their employee and Southwest baggage handlers are working together to steal from the passengers. My bag was not a flashy bag so there was no way of knowing any valuables was in my bag unless the TSA agent tip the baggage handler. I am sure I am not the only victim. There no warning signs posted or indicated on the E-Ticket, Itinerary or near the luggage check station posting do not check your bags because of theft.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 3500

Date of transaction/travel date: Purchased 2/13/2016 - Travel Dates 02/23/2016-02/26/2016
As Peter Greenberg, a travel guru, has said, "There are two types of luggage: carry-on and lost." Anything small and lightweight should be in your hand-held, carry-on luggage. Sorry for your possible loss, but, how naive are you? Why should anyone believe you?

Sep 6, 2015
I'm so sorry this happened. I'm originally a Minnesota Lutheran and have a theory about life that keeps me fairly safe. I think that the "bad guys" are far smarter than the good guys ... getting away with almost anything they wish to. I just go through the whole travel experience as if someone wants to steal everything I've packed, and somehow this works. I did have a laptop stolen once out of a hotel parking lot, but that was entirely my own fault. I try not to travel with much that is worth stealing ... only my computer.
Are you sure you grew up in Minnesota? My husband and I moved to Minneapolis about 6 years ago, but most of my childhood was spent growing up in suburban NYC. We locked our cars in the driveway, although I was 16 before my parents started locking the front door--something I expected more when my brothers stayed out past curfew!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
At the end of the day, I think we need to keep this all in perspective. People steal. If the jewelry is that important to you, you would have taken care of it or personally insured it. When someone tells you you can keep your stuff here unless it's jewelry or a computer, we don't want it, then believe them. These policies place the risk on the person best suited to handle them and in this case, you could have simply tossed the items in your purse.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Are you sure you grew up in Minnesota? My husband and I moved to Minneapolis about 6 years ago, but most of my childhood was spent growing up in suburban NYC. We locked our cars in the driveway, although I was 16 before my parents started locking the front door--something I expected more when my brothers stayed out past curfew!
Of course I'm sure! People still recognize that "accent" a mile away, after 30 years in SF. I think that I wasn't clear about my "roots" ... what I meant was that we are taught to roll with anything, never expect much, always be flexible, are thrilled with good things, adapt to any situation. A very wide stream of common sense runs through anyone who grew up there* as well, most helpful in life.

*which is what makes us move somewhere else ASAP!