Southwest Airlines travel funds

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Jan 29, 2021
We booked airfare to Houston for a family cruise vacation on Southwest Airlines. Due to Covid we had to cancel the airfare twice because the cruise line (Carnival) is under a non sale order. For the second airfare booking we used the travel funds from the first reservation leaving a small travel funds balance that expires on 9/7/2022. When Carnival cancelled again we cancelled the airfare and received travel funds that expire on 8/15/2021 which is one year earlier than the original Southwest booking experation date. In other words, Southwest is saying, if we didn't use part of the original travel funds all of the funds would have rolled over with an experation date of 9/7/2022. To me this is totally unfair. To me this was just a continuation of the original Southwest booking and we should be granted the better travel funds experation date. We have since rebooked the same cruise for a Jan 2022 sailing date and want to use the travel funds for the airfare. I have called and emailed Southwest requesting them to extend both unused travel funds from our two reservations to the same experation date 9/2022. Thus far Southwest won't change their position on the expiration date for the second reservation. This is a Covid mess that was beyond our control. I feel Southwest is being unreasonable by not granting my request.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
or the second airfare booking we used the travel funds from the first reservation
When the 2nd flight reservation was canceled you were refunded in the manner in which you paid them. Which was the original credit.
So you now has the same credit you had when you booked the 2nd flight. Why not try and ask them if you can get an extention to book this new flight for the later dates. You can ask. Southwest airlines have not been the best at working with customers since Covid, but you should ask anyways.

Reactions: VoR61

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Forum Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
We booked airfare to Houston for a family cruise vacation on Southwest Airlines. Due to Covid we had to cancel the airfare twice because the cruise line (Carnival) is under a non sale order. For the second airfare booking we used the travel funds from the first reservation leaving a small travel funds balance that expires on 9/7/2022. When Carnival cancelled again we cancelled the airfare and received travel funds that expire on 8/15/2021 which is one year earlier than the original Southwest booking experation date. In other words, Southwest is saying, if we didn't use part of the original travel funds all of the funds would have rolled over with an experation date of 9/7/2022. To me this is totally unfair. To me this was just a continuation of the original Southwest booking and we should be granted the better travel funds experation date. We have since rebooked the same cruise for a Jan 2022 sailing date and want to use the travel funds for the airfare. I have called and emailed Southwest requesting them to extend both unused travel funds from our two reservations to the same experation date 9/2022. Thus far Southwest won't change their position on the expiration date for the second reservation. This is a Covid mess that was beyond our control. I feel Southwest is being unreasonable by not granting my request.
Unfortunately, the extension of credit was based on the extenuating circumstances in place at the time, which is something that many companies provided as it related to bookings made before the pandemic. Once you used those credits to make a new booking, any refund or credit would be based on the new bookings fare rules. If the booking was made after the pandemic was a known factor, many companies are not providing an extenuating circumstances policies to cover these cases. What many have done was change their fare rules to allow for free changes for tickets purchased after the pandemic, though they still retain specific timelines. If the pandemic draws on, it is possible they may provide further extensions or not, but as these are exceptions to the contract, it is basically at their discretion.

What you are requesting is that the airline either change their policy or provide you a goodwill exception. I would recommend reviewing the following guidance on how to submit your request to the company using our company contacts.