Southwest Airlines - Mixing LUV voucher funds with own money

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 15, 2014
On December 26, 2013, I offered to change my travel on an overbooked flight and received a LUV voucher from SWA good for one year. This past summer I used most of the funds from the voucher on a flight, leaving me with $70.90 on the voucher available for use before December 25, 2014. On November 22, I booked a flight for my wife to Denver leaving December 18 using that remaining amount and $513.30 of my own, total $584.20 including taxes and fees.

Our plans changed, we're postponing our trip to January 10. SWA says the entire amount of my ticket is lost by virtue of the whole amount taking on the "color " of the remaining voucher amount that expires December 25. They said when I made the original booking on line that I agreed to that. While it's possible they're right and I read too quickly the conditions of the sale, I only remember that the voucher amount would expire, not the whole amount. My confirmation email told me how much of the sale used my money and how much was the voucher, no restriction listed there other than being non refundable and non transferable. All I wanted to do is use my money to book my wife's January 10 flight, completely understanding I am losing the $70.90.

I called the reservations number and was told to call customer service the following week.

I'm assuming they're right and I wont make the mistake again of mixing voucher funds with private money unless my money is a small portion of the total price! I did get some potential satisfaction by calling their customer service number. Amber told me that I should call after December 26 and ask for an "extension" less a $100 fee off the total price of the ticket. The extension is not policy, but she offered and I figured it's better than nothing. She said that with my confirmation number, anyone answering the customer service line will help me. I hope so, SWA has been good to me for a long time.

I have not cancelled the reservation, it will just be a no check-in, no show deal.

B

bodega3

Interesting in that the add collect (your funds) wouldn't remain valid for one year from the time of ticketing. I would call again and verify their policy. WN has been making changes to their polices, so this might indeed the case, but if there is a chance in saving the add collected amount, I wouldn't not cancel your flight as being a noshow makes all funds unusable.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Hi Glenn,

I'm one of Chris' assistants.

I was shocked to hear what Southwest did to you. They can't keep all your money when less than fifteen percent of it came from a voucher... can they? Well, it turns out they can. I poked around the Southwest website and found this:
  • A Southwest gift card redeemed for travel is not refundable. If travel is not taken, the funds will be held as travel funds with an expiration date. If applied with any other accepted form(s) of payment, the earliest expiration date of all forms of payment applies.

B

bodega3

A gift card is not a voucher. I couldn't find anything on this regarding mixing the voucher with an add collect of funds. In CA, a gift card never expires it not used. A voucher has an expiration date even if not used.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Me again, Glenn

Our website went offline for maintenance before I could finish my last post to you. Sorry about that. Here's what else I found. In the Southwest Contract of Carriage, Section 4 (Tickets), (c.) Refunds, (3) Nonrefundable Tickets, (iii) Travel Credit Eligibility, I found the following language:

The expiration date of any travel credit will apply to any Tickets purchased with these funds. If a Ticket is purchased with multiple travel credits, the earliest expiration date will apply to the entire Ticket.

It kinda sucks that it's buried so deeply in the fine print, but it also seems to tear it. Southwest can do what they did to you.

That being said, the extension for a $100 fee that Amber mentioned might not be a bad way to go.

If that falls through or if you decide to appeal to the Southwest executives, let me know and I'll provide you with instructions on who and how.

Sorry I couldn't have better news.

Grant

Jan 12, 2015
Hi Grant,

Would you be able to provide me with instructions on how to appeal to Southwest executives. I am in a similar situation as Glenn:

I purchased a $435 roundtrip ticket on May 15, 2014, using only $20 of ticketless funds that were to expire on August 19, 2014. I flew the first leg of the trip on August 7, 2014, but cancelled the return flight on August 8, 2014, due to changes in travel plans. The cancellation email I received indicated I still had $224 ticketless funds for future travel, which I expected would be good for one year from date of purchase on May 15, 2014. When I received the confirmation email with the expiration date of August 19, 2014, I thought that only applied to all the funds that were used from that original confirmation number. That would make no sense that Southwest would contradict its policy of giving customers one year to use the refunded money they applied to the ticket. When I called customer service they told me they could only give me $124 of it back as an exception to the refund policy and that I should read the policy more closely. If I had purchased 2 separate one-way tickets, using the $20 ticketless funds on the first leg, and new funds on the second leg, there would be less of an issue with refunding ticketless funds. Still, there should be a way for the system to keep track of what money is from different confirmation numbers and use a first-in, first-out approach with available funds. So why can't Southwest see it that way and still give customers the full year to use funds?

Thanks,
Nadia

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Hi Nadia,

Stinks, doesn't it? You'd be hard pressed to find a more enthusiastic fan of Southwest than me, but this practice is scummy, and not worthy of a great company.

If you'd like to appeal (and I hope you do), here's a link to our Southwest contact page:

To get the most bang for your buck, email the executives (starting with the Primary Contact), one at a time, allowing a week for response before escalating to the next.

Good luck! My heart will be with you. My Southwest should not be engaging in such a smarmy practice.

grant

B

bodega3

Southwest is telling you that to use the older funds to a new ticket, the rules for reusing the funds on the new ticket defaults to the rules of the first ticket funds.