Southwest Airlines did not cancel my tickets over the phone and now marked it as a No Show

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2019
I booked travel with Southwest Airlines on in Sep,2018 for travel in Dec 2018 for a total $1118 USD. When we had a change of plans, I called SouthWest customer support in "November" and requested a refund. The agent said that they would not refund me but would give me a credit that I could use until 1 year. This was acceptable to me. I got disconnected from the original agent but dialed in and explained my predicament again to another agent. I was told the same thing for which I said to cancel my tickets . They said that they would take care of it. Once I got off the phone, I assumed that I would get the credit and could you use it whenever I travel next. It was the holidays and I never thought to check back with SW but now when I am trying to book tickets, I realized that the credit was never issued. I called customer support yesterday and they said that we were treated as a No Show and there would be no credit. I was shocked! Who does a No show for $1118 worth of tickets. I tried to reason with the agent that I was promised a credit and that is all I want and nothing more. She kept pushing back. The confirmation codes for our tickets are xxxxxx and xxxxxx. I am a long standing patron of Southwest and am perplexed as to why SW would do a No Show when all I am asking is the promised credit by their 2 agents. Can someone please help me!.

Note- edited by moderator to remove confirmation numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2015
At this point, you can appeal to Southwest executives.

Southwest's contacts are listed here. In your communications, remember to send only one email per week.

Apr 10, 2019
At this point, you can appeal to Southwest executives.

Southwest's contacts are listed here. In your communications, remember to send only one email per week.
The first contact is out of office as per the response email. Should i contact the second person or wait till they return?

Feb 3, 2017
Likely no good for this incident now - but, always take down the customer representative's name and time/date of call and calendar alerts to yourself to keep an eye for the credit and if you see nothing after a day or two days, either confirmation of the credit or credit itself, get back in touch right away.

Often when I've gotten verbal notice of a credit coming my way, I ask if there is a confirmation number they can give me, sometimes they have such a number, sometimes not but the most info you can get at time of the call, the better.

Hope you do have a record of the calls as mentioned above - and that it is helpful

Good luck - this sounds very lax for what is usually good customer service from SW. Seems odd there would be confirmation of such a credit but then I never fly SW so don't know how they manage these things.

Apr 3, 2016
I do not know how you booked the tickets, but SW allows you to cancel online. For the future, this is probably the best method (you will know it was actually done).
Also, do you know the credit will not all belong to you even if you paid. It will belong to each of the persons on the original tickets in the amount of each ticket. Hopefully you are trying to book flights for the same people.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hope that SouthWest is amenable to issuing that credit. When you contact them, keep in mind that your situation is a "he said/she said" and you will need to give them as much proof as you can muster. I remember a huge fight with Expedia about a prepaid hotel, and what turned the tables was my assertion that I would never tie up $700 for a hotel 7 months before the trip. Expedia could understand my reasoning. Your case is the same, who would walk away from more than $1K worth of airline tix?

Lee's advice is very good for the future. Today, one needs to assume that nobody is doing their job. Everything has to be double-checked and followed up on. I seriously don't believe anything an agent says any more; I keep checking until I get proof that my goal is reached. A sad commentary, but it is reality.

Apr 1, 2018
In general, I always check to see if a refund/credit is actually credited to my credit card. I'm guessing about 10% of the time there are problems that require additional phone calls/chats.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
In general, I always check to see if a refund/credit is actually credited to my credit card. I'm guessing about 10% of the time there are problems that require additional phone calls/chats.
True but airlines refunds or credits don’t show up on your credit card.
They are credits with the airline and are for only the named passenger, unless the airline allows name changes (some for a fee as Frontier does).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you can show the date and time of the call
(And I can find that information for my land and cell phone numbers) you should show that to SW - it might help. You could then request a voucher for the amount of the flight. Ask them to review the conversation.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
My refunds with Delta did show up on the credit card I used. Where else would a refund go?
Well if you got a true refund then yes, they would show up on credit card.
Mostly though, any changes or cancellations just get you a credit or a voucher with the airline.
Since this is an issue with SW, it is most likely an airline credit we are talking about, unless PAX bought s fully refundable ticket. The good part is that SW doesn’t charge fees for changes or cancellations.
IF she did buy a refundable ticket then she should have expected a credit on her CC.
Upon rereading her account, she expected an airline credit.

Feb 3, 2017
True but a credit is not a refund and you had mentioned that both refunds and credits would not go to a credit card so I was just wondering about that.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
True but a credit is not a refund and you had mentioned that both refunds and credits would not go to a credit card so I was just wondering about that.
well - oops. often, people confuse credits with refunds, so guess that was where my head was.

Nov 21, 2014
SWA uses the original locator numbers for the credit available. It looks you still have them...that’s how you check to see the balance available if you cancel. Use those confirmation/locator codes for each of your family members...hopefully it will pull up and tell you. Then you can use those “available funds” to book other flights. It’s all done on line.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
SWA uses the original locator numbers for the credit available. It looks you still have them...that’s how you check to see the balance available if you cancel. Use those confirmation/locator codes for each of your family members...hopefully it will pull up and tell you. Then you can use those “available funds” to book other flights. It’s all done on line.
It’s worth looking at but if she is marked as a no show, they don’t offer a credit.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
It’s worth looking at but if she is marked as a no show, they don’t offer a credit.
SW offers cancel for credit up until 10 minutes before the flight is scheduled for takeoff.
Quite generous.
If you did not check on your reservation after you spoke with the CS rep, then it looks like you did indeed lose any expectation of a credit.