Southwest Airline

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2018
I changed flight arrangements on Southwest last December from a direct flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Indianapolis to a flight to Orlando then to Indianapolis. There was confusion at the desk with a new attendant about how to do this. When it was resolved by another ticket agent, I was given a voucher for a later flight because the new arrangement saved me $128.97. When I called to make arrangements for a flight this November, the agent told me that the voucher was for a only for flight made before 10/27/18.

Nov 27, 2017
The vouchers are normally issued for one year from the date of the booking, not the date of travel. When did you arrange the original flight?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Generally, travel must be completed within a year of the date the original ticket was booked.

If the voucher they gave you doesn’t have an expiration date, use our company contacts and write to SW and ask them if they could extend the expiration date. Read the information on the bottom of the company contacts about how to escalate from Customer Service to the Executives if need be.

SW is the most customer friendly airline and I think you’ll be able to get them to extend it.

Dec 19, 2014
There should be no confusion. Southwest does not have change fees.
So if you change a flight, if the new flight costs less than the original purchase price, you receive a CREDIT to be used within 1 year of the original purchase date. Note that travel has to be COMPLETED by the 1 year expiration date. If the new flight costs more than the purchase price, then you have to pay the difference.

Unfortunately, Southwest is correct on this one. If travel has to be completed by 10/27/2018, that means that your original purchase date was 10/27/2017. Neil, it does not sound like the OP received a voucher, rather received credit because the new flight cost less. I would not expect Southwest to grand an extension simply by writing to the executives. On a case-by-case basis, Southwest may extend the value of the travel credit by 6 months with a $100 fee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Chris- our experience here is never say never. We have seen more cases that we thought would be flat out no’s been made yes’s by a well written letter to an executive. And that’s what we encourage here.

Feb 2, 2018
I had an experience with Southwest where I had to cancel a flight and got a credit, but found out it was good to a year from the date I booked the flight. However Southwest extended the credit for me as the date I was re-booking for was within a short time of the expiration date. No additional charge. So I would ask!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had an experience with Southwest where I had to cancel a flight and got a credit, but found out it was good to a year from the date I booked the flight. However Southwest extended the credit for me as the date I was re-booking for was within a short time of the expiration date. No additional charge. So I would ask!
Thank you - this is exactly why I encouraged our writer to do so. SW is the most customer friendly airline.