Sons trip cancelled due to Covid yet American Airlines won't refund my $

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
we didn't book the flight or have the option for a refundable ticket......I can't even use my credit card to assist as it was paid to the school who then paid the travel agency who now is out of business.........just does not seem fair
Did the $400 cover anything other than the flight? What about the cost of food, accommodation and local transportation?

Reactions: Skippy
Jan 12, 2021
I understand about the $ thing and left that out. No i couldn't afford it then but it was a once in a life time trip for my son and by no means did i predict the pandemic and the financial toll that would take. I have written to AA with the contact and requested an exception or atleast to have the ticket in both of our names. Will let you know. Thanks for the advice.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
A couple of other ideas:
  • Since the school arranged the trip and purchased the ticket, wouldn't they have paid for trip insurance? Doesn't the school insure all of it trips?
  • Did the travel agency have to have insurance and/or post bond to cover its insolvency? Did the agency just close or file for bankruptcy and dissolve?
  • If you paid by credit card, you can attempt a chargeback and cite cancellation by the school and subsequent closure of the travel agency.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A couple of other ideas:
  • Since the school arranged the trip and purchased the ticket, wouldn't they have paid for trip insurance? Doesn't the school insure all of it trips?
  • Did the travel agency have to have insurance and/or post bond to cover its insolvency? Did the agency just close or file for bankruptcy and dissolve?
  • If you paid by credit card, you can attempt a chargeback and cite cancellation by the school and subsequent closure of the travel agency.
Travel insurance doesn’t usually cover cancellations due to Covid.

It might cover supplier bankruptcy depending on the policy.

However- did the school receive refunds for the rest of the trip? Is it just the air that wasn’t refunded?

The agency should have advised the group not to cancel the air but wait for the airline to cancel. That’s what many agencies did.

Reactions: Warren