Snychrony Bank won't take fraudlant charge off my statement.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 6, 2019
I noticed a charge for over $3500 from Progressive Insurance pending on my Sam's Club Mastercard. Knowing that my Progressive policy was paid in full until June 2020, I called the bank and they said it was clearly fraud and not to worry about it and they would cancel this card and send me a new one. Then in a few days it went from pending to posted on my account. I called again and they said it would stay on my statement until their investigation was over and Progressive had paid them back the money, but they would waive my minimum payment, so don't worry. I always pay in full and would like the charge to go away. Progressive is not helping. Is this normal procedure?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you file a dispute, the credit card company should give you a conditional credit for the amount. They then have to give the other company 45 days to respond to your dispute. If they find in your favor, the credit becomes permanent, if not, the credit is charged again.

Did you file the dispute in writing? If you did, go back to the bank and ask why you haven’t been given a conditional credit if it’s a credit card and not a debit card.

Mar 18, 2019
They aren't actually required to remove the charge. They are required not to bill for the charge, which it sounds like they are doing...

Oct 6, 2019
This is from the bank's web site:

Use the form below to dispute a charge that is not related to fraud, such as:

• Non-receipt of goods or services
  • Overcharged
  • Returned the merchandise - no credit received
  • Charged twice for the same transaction
  • Merchant promised a credit
  • Dissatisfied with the quality of the merchandise or service, or it was damaged
  • Paid for merchandise or services by other means

If you have a charge that you believe is related to fraud, please call our Customer Service department at 1-844-335-5919

Not sure how to get them to issue temporary credit. I protested about it being on the statement and was told that it had to be that way until the issue is resolved.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is from the bank's web site:

Use the form below to dispute a charge that is not related to fraud, such as:

• Non-receipt of goods or services
  • Overcharged
  • Returned the merchandise - no credit received
  • Charged twice for the same transaction
  • Merchant promised a credit
  • Dissatisfied with the quality of the merchandise or service, or it was damaged
  • Paid for merchandise or services by other means

If you have a charge that you believe is related to fraud, please call our Customer Service department at 1-844-335-5919

Not sure how to get them to issue temporary credit. I protested about it being on the statement and was told that it had to be that way until the issue is resolved.
As long as they aren’t requiring you to pay it until the investigation is finished you are ok.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I suggest paying whatever portion of the bill is actually yours. And if none of the bill is yours I would still pay the minimum (it will get credited back) so you don’t have to fight with them later when their computer automatically reports your payment late because someone forgot to enter the proper code.

You said the charge is to YOUR OWN insurance company? Seems like a very unusual Fraud. Is it pending as an overpayment against Your policy? Have you ever paid one of your kids policies, (mom & dad helping the kids) using a CC in the past for Homeowners or Auto? Just thinking out loud ;)

Oct 6, 2019
I suggest paying whatever portion of the bill is actually yours. And if none of the bill is yours I would still pay the minimum (it will get credited back) so you don’t have to fight with them later when their computer automatically reports your payment late because someone forgot to enter the proper code.

You said the charge is to YOUR OWN insurance company? Seems like a very unusual Fraud. Is it pending as an overpayment against Your policy? Have you ever paid one of your kids policies, (mom & dad helping the kids) using a CC in the past for Homeowners or Auto? Just thinking out loud ;)
Actually I am in the habit of paying a little as I go to avoid a large bill. My total bill normally is around $4,000. So, without the fraudulent charge they owe me $17.00

Oct 6, 2019

This is the only policy I have with Progressive and it is paid in full with no extra payments showing. It is for my motor home. I got the policy via USAA which is where my homeowner's, auto etc is. USAA will not insure motor homes worth over $100,000. Mine is worth substantially more than that so USAA farms the policy out to Progressive...and bills separately.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Just trying to figure out how your very own Insurance Company has your Credit Card # it’s an amazing coincidence and payment to an Insurance co goes to a policy so the guilty party would be immediately caught! So call me suspicious because I don’t believe in coincidence.... as soon as the payment posts to a policy both the Insurance co and CC will have the answer. Good luck be sure and share the result, I’m sure puzzled!

Sep 27, 2017
Do you pay online or by mail? Was anything done by Progressive to your account around this time where your information had to be entered manually by an employee? I'm just wondering if this wasn't purposeful 'fraud' but a case of a Progressive employee 'fat-fingering' the wrong account on accident or some other accidental goof on their end. You'd still be owed the money, obviously, but it would be a reasonable explanation.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
As long as they aren’t requiring you to pay it until the investigation is finished you are ok.
I agree in theory, but if the waiver of the payment is not in writing, it's not valid. Whomever told you that you could skip your monthly payment until this is straightened out needs to put that in writing. Otherwise, a completely different can of worms will be created between you and the bank.

Oct 6, 2019
Just trying to figure out how your very own Insurance Company has your Credit Card # it’s an amazing coincidence and payment to an Insurance co goes to a policy so the guilty party would be immediately caught! So call me suspicious because I don’t believe in coincidence.... as soon as the payment posts to a policy both the Insurance co and CC will have the answer. Good luck be sure and share the result, I’m sure puzzled!
I am puzzled too/ I have asked both the bank and Progressive how a crook can get paid if they are not Progressive or me. None of the answers made much sense. If one purchases a policy with a check and then cancels they cannot get a check refund unless their check has cleared. If you pay with a credit card you will get a refund back to the same card. Progressive told me that many crooks purchase a policy on an item that is not their's or does not exist. Then after the policy is paid, they file a claim. I can't see how that would work either unless it was something like a boat which was insured with false papers and then sunk in water so deep that a claims adjuster could not examine it. That explanation by Progressive made no sense to me. How does a crook get paid if they charge me, pay Progressive and???

Oct 6, 2019
Do you pay online or by mail? Was anything done by Progressive to your account around this time where your information had to be entered manually by an employee? I'm just wondering if this wasn't purposeful 'fraud' but a case of a Progressive employee 'fat-fingering' the wrong account on accident or some other accidental goof on their end. You'd still be owed the money, obviously, but it would be a reasonable explanation.
I paid for my policy last June with a charge to my Sam's Club Master Card. I am paid in full until June, 2012.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I paid for my policy last June with a charge to my Sam's Club Master Card. I am paid in full until June, 2012.
Well now we know how Progressive got your CC # this is an agent error. I will bet that in the next two weeks you find either an over pay on your own policy or a Premium that has bounced back to your Credit Card.
The fact that you have Paid Progressive with this very card tells me something is coded wrong.
I think this will be resolved and in the very near future. You will get a credit back to your acct. I urge you to pay that minimum payment just in case of other employee errors. Once again reporting to the credit bureaus is automatic, one computer to another.
it will be a real long pain if they accidentally report you late. It’s just easier to make a minimum pmt and get them to refund the credit balance.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I do not see here that you have confirmed with Progressive that the $3,500 is for your motor home. If you have not, I suggest you confirm as soon as possible. It may be that someone used your credit card number to purchase a policy for their own vehicle (and hence the fraud scenario you were told) . . .

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019
I do not see here that you have confirmed with Progressive that the $3,500 is for your motor home. If you have not, I suggest you confirm as soon as possible. It may be that someone used your credit card number to purchase a policy for their own vehicle (and hence the fraud scenario you were told) . . .
Progressive, as of now, has no record of this charge. It has only appeared on my credit card.