Smoking Charge and I did not smoke in the rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2017
Hi everyone, I am posting on behalf of my wife as I really want to have this cleared up.

On Friday 07/14/17, I rented a vehicle from Dollar Rental Company at Philadelphia International Airport. Before checking out, there was a smoking smell, scratches on the car and not clean in the vehicle. The agent did not check to see about what was wrong with the car as she was on her cell phone speaking with someone and I advised her of this and she let me know it was fine. I returned the car and advised them of the same issues (smoking smell, dirty car and scratches) and the other agent just gave me a printed receipt as well as an email of $168 charge for only the car rental and dismissed me. Upon coming home, I received another email with a $300 charge for smoking. When I went back to the facility to address the issue, the manager on duty, Jermaine Booker laughed in my face, when explaining the situation and told me 'even if I could do something, I would not help you because of your attitude' and just put a card on the table and walked away. I called the corporate office to dispute the charge and they told me that there is nothing else they can do as the manager of the location, told them that the charge will not be taken off and hung up the phone.

What can we do? We sent a dispute letter over the phone and by mail to the car company and was told the manager will not take off the charge. All we can do now I feel is send the credit card company a dispute letter and hope they don't authorize the charge or chalk the $300. My wife again doesn’t smoke and it’s like we are not given any help because my wife came in upset to the location to the manager, but wouldn't you if there was a charge on your account. We have an email receipt as well as paper stating no $300 charge and then another email stating that there is a $300 charge for smoking.

Nov 14, 2016
Before disputing through your credit card company follow these steps:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Some of those steps may not apply (like photos for the damage) but the process should work. The onus is on them to prove that she smoked and there is absolutely no way for them to prove that since the car was in their possession for some time before they claim they smelled smoke. Those who have followed these steps have been almost universally successful in getting claims dismissed.

The reason you follow this process is to ensure that, should it come to it, you have written proof (only deal with them via email) that you attempted to work with the vendor on the fraudulent claim and they were unwilling to do so or provide evidence that you smoked. You can present this evidence during your cc dispute and there's a far better chance that you will be successful.

Jul 20, 2017
Thank you for your reply, I will get on that now for her. I do have the link pulled up, but would I go to the location for these items and then mail them the letter with what the location provided or send the dispute letter to the rental company requesting that information. I just want to be sure I am doing everything to the T.
- A copy of your original agreement and a copy of the paperwork given to you when you returned the car.

- The rental agreements from the five people who rented the car before you and the five that rented if after (this will force them to look at the paperwork for anyone before or after who returned it after you that may have caused the damage)

- A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted.(Compare it to the mileage when you turned the car in).

- A copy of the fleet utilization log

- A copy of the incident report

- A copy of the receipt showing the car was repaired and the cost that was paid for the repair.

- A copy of the license plate number on the car to ensure it is the car you rented.

Jul 20, 2017
Good morning,

So we sent the email to the vendor and they were uncooperative. This was the reply:
Dear Ms. Davis,

Please accept my personal apologies for the unacceptable behavior exhibited by our employee. We pride ourselves on our employee's ability to provide excellent customer service. The details of your experience have been forwarded immediate corrective actions. However, based on supporting information found in our records and from our location management, we must respectfully decline your request for reimbursement.

Sincerely,

Delisha
Customer Service Representative

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Move up to the next executive, tell them neither of you smoke and that you will not pay the charge for smoking.

And keep an eye on your credit card statement to dispute- you only have a certain number of days to dispute a charge. If you are close to that period, call your cc company and file a dispute.

They usually want you to show you tried to resolve this with the company and you now have the proof.

Jul 20, 2017
Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I emailed both Alexandria Marren and Gregory Crum, and they have investigated the situation and issued a refund in regards to the Smoking Charge and have filed a complaint against the location that caused so much of a headache. I just want to thank you for all of your help and will definitely be providing your site to other people. Below is the reply my wife has received.

"Dear Ms. Davis,

Thank you for your recent email to our Senior Management team. I have been asked to review the matter and respond to you on their behalf. I appreciate you allowing me this opportunity.

At Dollar, we pride ourselves on the high quality of our customer service, and it is disturbing to learn of the incident you described. Providing our customers courteous, professional service is important to us and our training programs strongly emphasize this.There is never a reason for a Dollar employee to be rude or disrespectful and any unprofessional behavior will not be tolerated. We sincerely apologize for the impression our representatives left with you and we regret your rental experience did not meet with the high standards of service Dollar customers have come to know and expect.

As a gesture of concern, I am pleased to confirm a credit in the amount of $300.00 is being issued to the credit card account billed. This amount represents the cleaning charges incurred during your rental. The adjustment was made at this time, however due to billing cut-off dates may not be reflected on your next statement.

I am sorry that you have had to raise the matter with our Senior Management team, nevertheless, I appreciate the opportunity to respond on their behalf.

Sincerely,

Kristen West

Executive Customer Service

The Hertz Corporation

10401 N. Pennsylvania Ave

Oklahoma City, OK 73120

U.S.A."

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I emailed both Alexandria Marren and Gregory Crum, and they have investigated the situation and issued a refund in regards to the Smoking Charge and have filed a complaint against the location that caused so much of a headache. I just want to thank you for all of your help and will definitely be providing your site to other people. Below is the reply my wife has received.

"Dear Ms. Davis,

Thank you for your recent email to our Senior Management team. I have been asked to review the matter and respond to you on their behalf. I appreciate you allowing me this opportunity.

At Dollar, we pride ourselves on the high quality of our customer service, and it is disturbing to learn of the incident you described. Providing our customers courteous, professional service is important to us and our training programs strongly emphasize this.There is never a reason for a Dollar employee to be rude or disrespectful and any unprofessional behavior will not be tolerated. We sincerely apologize for the impression our representatives left with you and we regret your rental experience did not meet with the high standards of service Dollar customers have come to know and expect.

As a gesture of concern, I am pleased to confirm a credit in the amount of $300.00 is being issued to the credit card account billed. This amount represents the cleaning charges incurred during your rental. The adjustment was made at this time, however due to billing cut-off dates may not be reflected on your next statement.

I am sorry that you have had to raise the matter with our Senior Management team, nevertheless, I appreciate the opportunity to respond on their behalf.

Sincerely,

Kristen West

Executive Customer Service

The Hertz Corporation

10401 N. Pennsylvania Ave

Oklahoma City, OK 73120

U.S.A."
WELL DONE!!! This is just great. Another rental car company unable to gobble up more of their customers' money for no reason.

Mar 15, 2019
I'm having this same problem with Dollar, someone direct me to the executive level of management so that I can email them regarding this nightmare of a situation please.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm having this same problem with Dollar, someone direct me to the executive level of management so that I can email them regarding this nightmare of a situation please.
Use the information in post #2.

Because this post is over two years old I’m closing it to further comments but feel free to start a new thread if you still need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.