SkyLux Travel - Booking Agent - Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2021
KLM Airlines canceled (2) business $16,304 air tickets to Africa due to COVID. Offered refund less 25% (7/1/2020) Provided full refund of the purchase price to SkyLux Travel ticket my broker versus my AMEX card used to pay for tickets. Requested full cash refund from SkyLux Travel (4/2021)they would provide less 25% fee. Have a full cash voucher from SkyLux valid through 12/30/2022. In the inflation period original (2020) air routes are currently quoting 35%-40% cost increase (KLM/AMEX Travel) Am 75 years old and need money for possible living and medical expenses and cannot afford $4,100 penalty fee to recapture partial expense.

Question: Why is SkyLux Travel or KLM entitled to a refund penalty, as valid paid flights were canceled by KLM, due to Covid, SkyLux Travel as booking broker received a full cash refund of my ticket(s) payment amount, which must have included a "booking fee", and now wants to extract another $4100 refund fee?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It sounds like those were the terms you agreed to at the time of the ticket purchase. You need to revisit the terms of contract. When you use an online travel agent, they have their own set of rules for refunds. If you had booked directly with the airline, you would have received a refund for 100% of the purchase price.

Can you clarify? Did you receive a voucher for future use for the value of the 25% penalty fee? If so, you have essentially received a full refund. Unfortunately, airline ticket pricing is dynamic and with less flights being offered due to the pandemic, airline tickets are costing more at this time.

Apr 25, 2021
It sounds like those were the terms you agreed to at the time of the ticket purchase. You need to revisit the terms of contract. When you use an online travel agent, they have their own set of rules for refunds. If you had booked directly with the airline, you would have received a refund for 100% of the purchase price.

Can you clarify? Did you receive a voucher for future use for the value of the 25% penalty fee? If so, you have essentially received a full refund. Unfortunately, airline ticket pricing is dynamic and with less flights being offered due to the pandemic, airline tickets are costing more at this time.

Thank you for your reply and thoughts. I am attacking this issue with travel agent (SkyLux) and KLM (vendor) regarding a "force majeure" concept having booked air travel canceled by carrier. Ticket refund amount ($16,304) should have gone back to my payment credit card regardless of vendor involved. Were their not governing requirements that in case of air ticket cancellation by a carrier/vendor that full amount of ticket value be refunded. KLM wanted a 25% cancellation fee for a refund, even after they canceled my reservations. Even if that was the case with KLM refunding the full ticket value to SkyLux, why wouldn't the same refund (force majeure) policy apply to SkyLux's potential refund to me? Instead of SkyLux trying to charge me a $4100 refund fee. I am sure they made a booking fee with KLM and again want to profit from me. Seems illogical.
As far a travel credit voucher, yes I received a full ($16,304) voucher from SkyLux. As I stated, both SkyLux and AMEX Travel now have quoted an increased ticket cost to book the exact same route as in 2020. So in summary, take refund less 25% from either KLM or SkyLux, or use full credit voucher for current travel at 43% increased cost, $16,304 vs $23,405 sounds like someone is taking more than their fair share.

Sounds to me like victims of the Covid Pandemic aren't the only ones getting killed as a result. Either way, refund or credit voucher the customer will lose between 25% and 40%.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Thank you for your reply and thoughts. I am attacking this issue with travel agent (SkyLux) and KLM (vendor) regarding a "force majeure" concept having booked air travel canceled by carrier. Ticket refund amount ($16,304) should have gone back to my payment credit card regardless of vendor involved. Were their not governing requirements that in case of air ticket cancellation by a carrier/vendor that full amount of ticket value be refunded. KLM wanted a 25% cancellation fee for a refund, even after they canceled my reservations. Even if that was the case with KLM refunding the full ticket value to SkyLux, why wouldn't the same refund (force majeure) policy apply to SkyLux's potential refund to me? Instead of SkyLux trying to charge me a $4100 refund fee. I am sure they made a booking fee with KLM and again want to profit from me. Seems illogical.
As far a travel credit voucher, yes I received a full ($16,304) voucher from SkyLux. As I stated, both SkyLux and AMEX Travel now have quoted an increased ticket cost to book the exact same route as in 2020. So in summary, take refund less 25% from either KLM or SkyLux, or use full credit voucher for current travel at 43% increased cost, $16,304 vs $23,405 sounds like someone is taking more than their fair share.

Sounds to me like victims of the Covid Pandemic aren't the only ones getting killed as a result. Either way, refund or credit voucher the customer will lose between 25% and 40%.
I completely agree with you on the face of your complaint; unfortunately you’re applying common sense logic to an industry that does not. Think about it from a supply and demand perspective because everything during COVID could be subject to force majeure.

In contract law, force majeure clauses do not excuse a party's non-performance entirely, but only suspend it for the duration of the force majeure. Can you imagine the logistics of suspending prices for services or retail goods for a year or more? It’s not feasible. Markets shift, prices fluctuate, etc., as has happened to the price of your flight.

I wish I could think of some better options for you; I’m pleased that at least you have a credit for the money you spent—many people are still fighting for that.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Question: Why is SkyLux Travel or KLM entitled to a refund penalty
Apparently one problem is that this company buys peoples frequent flier miles and uses them to book the flights they sell ( along with buying flights). Because of this the tickets booked with miles seem to only have the option for a future travel voucher. I am wondering if they are offering to convert this for a fee of 25%. In addition they have fees just to process a voucher or refund.
This company has more complaints then I can count.
Other problem is buying a ticket from FF mile vendors it is against the airlines terms and conditions. The airline could cancel the ticket at any time they found out the miles were sold , they could do this and not even refund these miles. This also means if you make to many waves with the airline they could find out this was a sold miles ticket and refuse to refund or rescind one already processed. If this ticket was in fact a FF miles ticket then this refund was not in cash but in kind. That means the original owner would get back the miles they sold. This means SkyLux may never have seen this refund. It also means that if they decided not to pay you anything it might be hard to stop them. These kinds of tickets are a very gray area legal wise. ( maybe the resident lawyer can comment on this). I know for me I would not want a voucher from them as I could never be sure they will survive Covid and my voucher will be usable at all. For this reason I might cut my loses and lose the 25% just so I can protect the 75% ( which is a lot of money).
Is this right ... NO ... Is this fair ... NO... Might this be the best route ... Yes.
This is just my personal advice , But losing a part is still way better then getting nothing from this. So If this was me and the offer of 75% in cash given back to me is still valid. I would jump on this offer before they remove it or go out of business and take all your money.
Worst part is the buyers agree to these fees and only vouchers when they book.

But if you look at the 2 Elliot links I posted you will find some good advice.

Beyond that a few people have had some action by posting on BBB and trust pilot. But this was earlier in this pandemic, so who knows now.
There is mention of filing an ABTA claim. But as this is just a flight , there would be no coverage for the OP.
Making a DOT claim would not work as you did not buy direct from the airline.
A charge back will fail as they did what is in their terms and conditions.
A learning lesson when you get something on the cheap now you very often will have to pay for it later.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Ticket refund amount ($16,304) should have gone back to my payment credit card regardless of vendor involved.
This would be true if you bought the ticket from the airlines ( you did not). It would be true if this was not a FF mile ticket ( it might have been). This would be true if you did not agree to this companies terms and conditions where you agreed to their fees and Voucher rules ( You clicked OK to their terms when you booked the flight).
I think this is so very unfair. But I also think if you want the cash you will have to pay through the nose. Though I would try the post in BBB and Trustpilot as there might be a chance there. I would do this soon so you do not lose the chance at getting 75% of your money back.
These are the risks of booking with these deep discount and FF miles vendors. You get sleazy practices.

I would add it does not matter what KLM is doing including total and full refunds. You did not buy your ticket from KLM, you are not their customer. SkyLux is their customer and you are SkyLux's customer. SO the rules you are dealing with are what ever SkyLux's terms say.

Last edited:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, the price of airline tickets is dynamic so the price goes up and down based on demand as well as availability. It really isn't as simple as saying the same route one year later should be the same price. I am sorry....this is really frustrating that we don't have a lot of options for you to pursue.

Is KLM charging a fee or is Skylux charging a fee? This is an important distinction because the government only has jurisdiction over the airlines, not the OTA (online travel agent). If you purchased the ticket directly with the airline, yes, you should be receiving a full refund. Since you used a third party, they can and will enforce their terms of contract that was in place when you purchased the ticket.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Here is the issue you are dealing with:

"About Skylux Travel Traveling Business and First Class Smart​

Whether you travel on business or leisure we find the best-value solution to enhance your travel experience and minimize costs. Skylux Travel does all the footwork for you so you travel cost-effectively and effortlessly. All for privately negotiated contract prices that others cannot find online."

You have booked "privately negotiated contract prices that others cannot find online"

You are stuck with the agreement you accepted when booking. Airline and DOT rules do not apply to your tickets. The terms of your booking were provided to you when you booked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, the price of airline tickets is dynamic so the price goes up and down based on demand as well as availability. It really isn't as simple as saying the same route one year later should be the same price. I am sorry....this is really frustrating that we don't have a lot of options for you to pursue.

Is KLM charging a fee or is Skylux charging a fee? This is an important distinction because the government only has jurisdiction over the airlines, not the OTA (online travel agent). If you purchased the ticket directly with the airline, yes, you should be receiving a full refund. Since you used a third party, they can and will enforce their terms of contract that was in place when you purchased the ticket.
And DOT rules do not apply if the ticket was bought through an agency.

Reactions: Comicman

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a real shame, a story we hear too frequently. Did someone recommend that you use this internet service? Purchasing travel on the internet if often setting yourself up for a real disaster. Looks like that's what happened. Carefully read my colleagues' posts so you know what you purchased. I fear that it is far from what you think you bought. Moving forward, it's important that you have the mind-set of the reality of SkyLux' terms and conditions... not what you think they should behave, but how they can and do behave. I hope that we have been able to provide you with the tools you need to recover your money, or at least part of it.

Reactions: Patina