Skechers Sandals Elastic Straps Have Worn Out from Just One Year of Use

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 21, 2017
Hi, I bought a pair of Skechers sandals :
Skechers Women's Reggae Slim-Forget Knotted Web Gore Open Toe Slingback Sandal
4.5 out of 5 stars
I love these sandals and wear only during warm weather and am not hard on shoes; however, the straps are wearing very thin near the pinky toes and soon will break. Very sad as they are perfect for the summer. They cannot be repaired by the shoe repair shoes. Writing to Skechers so far has not produced an answer yet. Any suggestions?

Jan 30, 2018
What I do when I really like a pair of shoes is to buy a "backup" pair while they are still available. I have hard to fit narrow feet. Skechers are a moderately priced brand, and I would not expect shoes with so much elastic to last long.

Aug 11, 2019
4.5 out of 5 stars
I love these sandals and wear only during warm weather and am not hard on shoes; however, the straps are wearing very thin near the pinky toes and soon will break. Very sad as they are perfect for the summer. They cannot be repaired by the shoe repair shoes. Writing to Skechers so far has not produced an answer yet. Any suggestions?
Have you checked Skechers.com ? In the search box type in Reggae and several Reggae styles pop up. Maybe one is close to what you have and you can just replace the pair.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My wife has Skechers and they do not last a long time - I asked her how long hers last and she said she has to buy a new pair every year as well. These aren’t high end shoes - they are very comfortable but have no support and aren’t made to last if you wear them a lot. My wife lives in hers and she just accepts she has to buy them often.

Feb 21, 2018
As the others have said, Skechers is not a higher-end brand. To get similar styles that will last longer, take a look at Teva and Merrill brands. They are more costly, but have far better support and are better quality.

I have a pair of Teva sandals that are on their sixth summer season and still sturdy while another pair is on season five. The older pair cost-per-year right now is at $14 per summer.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
4.5 out of 5 stars
Amazon sells last years Skechers and sometimes you can get new shoes in the model you love on EBay. I search both when something I love has died an early death. :)

Sep 19, 2015
There was an interesting economic study about a certain brand of athletic shoe. If the price was $100 in the store then about $25 was paid to the factory in China. Now the factory has to also make a profit — but this gives an approximation of the materials and labor at the point of manufacture.

So inexpensive shoes means inexpensive manufacturing and materials. Now higher price does not mean higher quality — there could be licensing or obscene profits.

If I pay little I expect little.

May 1, 2018
There was an interesting economic study about a certain brand of athletic shoe. If the price was $100 in the store then about $25 was paid to the factory in China. Now the factory has to also make a profit — but this gives an approximation of the materials and labor at the point of manufacture.
I work for a company (not in the shoe biz) that sources some products from China/Asia and sells them at retail in the US. The 4:1 relationship of retail price to purchased cost is on the very low end. That would mean the shoe brand is breaking even or hardly making a profit. When I start a new project, my back of the napkin requirement for the initial business case is a purchased cost that is around 1/6 of our intended retail price. So if we intended to retail something for $100, we would need to be able to source it for $15; no more than $20. If we don't think that's possible, we don't do the project.

Keep in mind a retailer like Walmart, Foot Locker, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond etc. build in a gross profit margin of 40% - 60% for themselves. For an item that retails for $100, we sell it to a retailer for ~$50.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I work for a company (not in the shoe biz) that sources some products from China/Asia and sells them at retail in the US. The 4:1 relationship of retail price to purchased cost is on the very low end. That would mean the shoe brand is breaking even or hardly making a profit. When I start a new project, my back of the napkin requirement for the initial business case is a purchased cost that is around 1/6 of our intended retail price. So if we intended to retail something for $100, we would need to be able to source it for $15; no more than $20. If we don't think that's possible, we don't do the project.

Keep in mind a retailer like Walmart, Foot Locker, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond etc. build in a gross profit margin of 40% - 60% for themselves. For an item that retails for $100, we sell it to a retailer for ~$50.
So very interesting to those of us who wonder...
I cannot figure out how anyone is making any money on all those products at the ‘Everything is a $’ store since it all comes from China.
How do they make it, sometimes package it and then ship it to USA, where it gets marked up and put on the shelf?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I cannot figure out how anyone is making any money on all those products at the ‘Everything is a $’ store since it all comes from China.
How do they make it, sometimes package it and then ship it to USA, where it gets marked up and put on the shelf?
SO TRUE! How on earth do they sell these products for a dollar? Before the financial crash, I had never even used a "coupon" for anything. Now I stroll through a Dollar store and marvel at how these items can possibly be before my eyes and I'm paying a dollar?? Halloween decorations, silk flowers, paper towels, plastic trays ... how do they DO THAT?

May 1, 2018
Well, dollar stores typically have 1) lower profit margins than big-box retailers and 2) they cut out the middle man by sourcing directly from a Chinese supplier instead of an American 'brand'.
Anything you're buying for a dollar in the US costs US$0.20 - $0.30 to buy from China. Don't belive me? Go on alibaba.com and search for common dollar store items so you can see what the bulk price is. Of course, you have to buy a container or two but that's not a problem for dollar store chains.

Here are some nice dollar store Halloween decorations for as low as US$0.10 (depending on purchase quantity): https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.177.224178far1abQF

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Well, dollar stores typically have 1) lower profit margins than big-box retailers and 2) they cut out the middle man by sourcing directly from a Chinese supplier instead of an American 'brand'.
Anything you're buying for a dollar in the US costs US$0.20 - $0.30 to buy from China. Don't belive me? Go on alibaba.com and search for common dollar store items so you can see what the bulk price is. Of course, you have to buy a container or two but that's not a problem for dollar store chains.

Here are some nice dollar store Halloween decorations for as low as US$0.10 (depending on purchase quantity): https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.177.224178far1abQF
Oh, I get that part.
But then, how much does it cost to ship all that stuff to USA, warehouse it, ship it again to regions/store, pay rent, pay employees, insurance, all regulations and still make a profit.
Boggles my little mind (as a previous Corp owner who KNOWS all the costs of doing business. )