SIXT False claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 4, 2019
We rented a car from SIXT Frankfurt airport. While renting the car we noted that the car had multiple damages and asked the handler to show them to us as most damage details were mentioned in German and we don’t understand it. Since they refused to come while also speaking in German, we decided to take a walk around video where we note a damage on the front wheel. When we returned the car, we again asked them to check and go one by one on the details but once again they refused and showed us the agreement indicating its all mentioned there.

After 5 days we received a note stating we have scratched the front wheel which was false. On the claims form we indicated all the above details and submitted the photograph of the scratch from the video. But they never responded, rather sent us the invoice. We reached out to their claims department but never heard back. Reached out on Facebook, and never heard back.
Now the debt collection agency is pursuing the case and asking to pay $1500. Originally they sent invoice for EUR 1200. Cost of the part is only $500 though.

1. Pre-existing damage. Photo received from them after few days shows bigger damage on the same spot which is false.
  2. We had taken tire and rim insurance through them while renting.
  3. My credit card covers rental insurance but they never charged my card.
  4. The cost of the damage claimed is 2X higher than the cost of part!
  5. They never showed and acknowledged the damages while renting in and out the car.
  6. They have never responded on emails and Facebook
What are my options to resolve this? Can I sue them?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 19, 2015
Do you have still photos of the damaged area at pick up? Did you receive any paperwork with prior damage noted.

I do not understand what you mean about car rental insurance from credit card. If you have that benefit you make the claim.

The fee for a mechanic in Germany can be between euro 70 to 100 plus per hour — labor often exceeds the parts.

An oil change in Germany is around euro 100 — and that is for a small car. Gas is also more expensive.

Did you decline all insurance and does your credit card offer it as a benefit?

If you want to sue you likely have to do it in Germany as you signed a German contract for a service in Germany.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We rented a car from SIXT Frankfurt airport. While renting the car we noted that the car had multiple damages and asked the handler to show them to us as most damage details were mentioned in German and we don’t understand it. Since they refused to come while also speaking in German, we decided to take a walk around video where we note a damage on the front wheel. When we returned the car, we again asked them to check and go one by one on the details but once again they refused and showed us the agreement indicating its all mentioned there.

After 5 days we received a note stating we have scratched the front wheel which was false. On the claims form we indicated all the above details and submitted the photograph of the scratch from the video. But they never responded, rather sent us the invoice. We reached out to their claims department but never heard back. Reached out on Facebook, and never heard back.
Now the debt collection agency is pursuing the case and asking to pay $1500. Originally they sent invoice for EUR 1200. Cost of the part is only $500 though.

1. Pre-existing damage. Photo received from them after few days shows bigger damage on the same spot which is false.
  2. We had taken tire and rim insurance through them while renting.
  3. My credit card covers rental insurance but they never charged my card.
  4. The cost of the damage claimed is 2X higher than the cost of part!
  5. They never showed and acknowledged the damages while renting in and out the car.
  6. They have never responded on emails and Facebook
What are my options to resolve this? Can I sue them?
You have to file a claim with the credit card. Sixt will not deal with them primarily. You need to initiate the claim by contacting the credit card and providing information and filling out their (credit card) forms.

Labor is almost always more than the cost of the parts.

If you have before and pictures you can go through the process of disputing the claim if you have a record that shows the damage was present when you rented the car.

Jan 4, 2019
You have to file a claim with the credit card. Sixt will not deal with them primarily. You need to initiate the claim by contacting the credit card and providing information and filling out their (credit card) forms.

Labor is almost always more than the cost of the parts.

If you have before and pictures you can go through the process of disputing the claim if you have a record that shows the damage was present when you rented the car.
I had called the credit card company back in August and they said that SIXT has to do the needful but now I have filed for the claim there. Thanks for letting me know the procedure.

Jan 4, 2019
Do you have still photos of the damaged area at pick up? Did you receive any paperwork with prior damage noted.

I do not understand what you mean about car rental insurance from credit card. If you have that benefit you make the claim.

The fee for a mechanic in Germany can be between euro 70 to 100 plus per hour — labor often exceeds the parts.

An oil change in Germany is around euro 100 — and that is for a small car. Gas is also more expensive.

Did you decline all insurance and does your credit card offer it as a benefit?

If you want to sue you likely have to do it in Germany as you signed a German contract for a service in Germany.
I had tire and disc insurance on my vehicle. I assume disc meaning the rim which is the part in question of their false claim.

Since I have never claimed insurance on the card I wasn't aware of the procedure, I have started that process. Thanks for letting me know.

Can the German company use a US based debt collector?

Jan 4, 2019
Sixt is quickly becoming one of the most complained about car rental companies.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

You need to go up the executive chain at Sixt. We have US contacts on our Company Contacts - start with them and see if they can help or direct you to the German Executives.

Did you also take pictures when you returned the car
No, not when I returned the vehicle.

I did email the executive and after that they sent me a notice from a US based debt collector within 10 days. The executive just replied the following- sorry blah blah.. I have forwarded the below email to my colleagues in Germany and you shall hear back. That never happened. Then I got a notice from debt collector and they basically had all the emails I sent to them till date(none of them were replied). They also copied the note I left on facebook (again no reply on that). I find this very bizarre of a company never replying back but copy pasting the data like this.

Can the Germany company use a US based debt collector?
How do it resolve this?

Jan 4, 2019
I had tire and disc insurance on my vehicle. I assume disc meaning the rim which is the part in question of their false claim.

Since I have never claimed insurance on the card I wasn't aware of the procedure, I have started that process. Thanks for letting me know.

Can the German company use a US based debt collector?
Yes, it mentions the damage under 2cm on the same spot and for us it mentions over 12cm.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I had called the credit card company back in August and they said that SIXT has to do the needful but now I have filed for the claim there. Thanks for letting me know the procedure.
I just completed the process with a claim from a Thrifty car damage claim (which was my fault, not any question). We worked with Viking who handles Thrifty claims, and Visa Card Benefit Services. I received this email from Card Benefit Services today (accident was in Oct 2018):

"I am writing to alert you that your claim has been paid. The check, per your request, has been issued to Viking Billing Service, Inc. in the amount of $XXX.XX
  • This represents full settlement of the claim, including all reasonable Loss of Use and Administrative fees, (which were negotiated and reduced.)
You will receive a copy of the check for your own records within approximately 7-10 business days.

Should you have any questions please contact us.

Card Benefit Services"

You need to work with your card benefit services as well as the agency making the claim. If you feel the claim is not justified by the facts, you need to provide the evidence (not simply a denial) to your Card Benefit Services and have them handle the issue with the claiming agency.

In my case, the damage occurred when I had the car and it was paid by the card.

Sep 19, 2015
Foreign companies and municipalities do use US based debt collectors— otherwise no one would rent a car to a resident of the US — so that is legal. And if you lived in another country I am certain that they would go after you in that country whether Turkey, Brazil, Canada etc.

I am glad that you started the claim with the credit card insurance — let them fight it out and negotiate the issues and give them all the information you have.

Please let us know what happens.

Jan 21, 2019
I have also had an issue with the company. Three days after I dropped car of with no damage, they sent and eamil stating a <5cm scratch to the middle back bumper. What? I wouldn't even had noticed that, and really can't say how it happened or if I did it. No one walked us through picking up the car or dropping it off, despite asking. After I returned from Germany I receive the shocking bill of this scratch $1100 US, How can they do that? There was prior damage, as noted in the receipt we received, so I guess I am paying for that damage also. They may have collected from the prior person, but obviously did not repair it, now I am paying for the entire bumper to be fixed. How can this be legal? I have reached out via emailed, social media and WhatsApp and so far no one has responded. What is my legal recourse? I had insurance and submitted and it is under review, but that is beside the point. The bill is inflated and may not be payed because of that.

Attachments

Jan 21, 2019