Siriusxm

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 30, 2018
I've been trying to email Sirius executives this question since beginning of this month and yet as of now no response

Please clarify the statement that's in quotes as whether or not that statement still applies today

"In an ideal world, I’d air both stations{Kids Stuff and Kids Place Live) but am not in a position to do that right now with our available resources. But we’ll consider it for the future, of course"

redacted from; https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/kids-place-live-is-not-equal-to-kids-

Mar 30, 2018
No I'm trying to get clarification on that statement that's in quotes

In an ideal world, I’d air both stations{Kids Stuff and Kids Place Live) but am not in a position to do that right now with our available resources. But we’ll consider it for the future, of course"

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You say you’ve written to Executives. All we can do here is provide you with email addresses to write to them to ask. The story you are looking at is from 2008. The current executives may not even know who made a statement that’s almost eight years old.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sirius-xm-radio/

I’m afraid there isn’t anything else we can do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You would say “10 years ago someone from Sirius stated this in a story- can you tell me what it means?” A better wait to say this would be "You used to have a station called Kids Stuff Live that was discontinued. Is there any chance of bringing it back?"

I am pretty sure it might have something to do with the cost of having both programs on the air or it may be that one has higher ratings than the other. Or that one program can garner more advertisers than the other. It’s all about revenue and these stations have to pick the most profitable channels that are affordable.

But don’t be surprised if there is no answer- it’s been 10 years.

A better question to them might be why they don’t carry both channels.

Good luck and let us know if you get an answer.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I don't think you are going to get an answer. From Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_Stuff

Kids Stuff
Broadcast area Off-AirFrequency Sirius 116
Dish Network 6116Format Children's musicClass Satellite Radio StationOwner Sirius Satellite RadioWebsite www.sirius.com/kidsstuff

Kids Stuff was a Children's music radio station on Sirius Satellite Radio channel 116 and Dish Network channel 6116.
On November 12, 2008, Kids Stuff was eliminated from the Sirius lineup and replaced with Kids Place Live (formerly XM Kids) as part of a restructuring by Sirius XM Radio.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think you are going to get an answer. From Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_Stuff

Kids Stuff
Broadcast area Off-AirFrequency Sirius 116
Dish Network 6116Format Children's musicClass Satellite Radio StationOwner Sirius Satellite RadioWebsite www.sirius.com/kidsstuff

Kids Stuff was a Children's music radio station on Sirius Satellite Radio channel 116 and Dish Network channel 6116.
On November 12, 2008, Kids Stuff was eliminated from the Sirius lineup and replaced with Kids Place Live (formerly XM Kids) as part of a restructuring by Sirius XM Radio.

Wow- moot point. The station doesn’t exist anymore.

Feb 28, 2017
Of course, that was the whole point of the 2008 complaint thread - Sirius eliminated the Kids Stuff station from its line-up. Sounds like @Avagaston wants to find out if Sirius would consider reviving it, to run alongside Kids Place Live. And that's what I would ask them specifically (rather than asking for clarification on an old quote).

I wonder if it's still available on Dish?

Sep 19, 2015
Avagaston -- here is what I think happened -- satellite radio -- in the 2000s, there are two major separate satellite companies -- XM and Sirius Radio -- Kids Place Live was on Sirius -- and XM had XM kids --Sirius and XM merge into SiriusXM. After the merger in mid 2008 there were layoffs and changes -- and they did not need to have two separate channels for kids, especially as the merger between the two companies was completed right as the financial crises was unfolding -- the merger happened before Lehman Brothers collapsed in Sept. 2008-- and SiriusXM ended up in poor financial shape for a while. Premerger the stock for Sirius was around $2 per share -- post merger late 2008 it was down to 12 cents per share --

So basically the answer is that the company could not afford to have two channels for kids at the time given the financial problems -- SiriusXM likely had to look at contracts and make choices on finances and made a new, lower cost program.

I am not sure that someone will want to say, well our merger was badly timed and we nearly went under with the staggering debt so we dumped channels that people may have enjoyed but did not bring in enough money or cost us too much.

That is my interpretation on what happened.