Singapore Airlines Refund Problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2019
In March 2019 my husband made a business class booking with Singapore Airlines from SIN to MAN outward 24 Aug returning 23 Sept. In May my husband had to undertake major knee surgery which prevented him flying and Singapore Airlines were contacted and after submitting a letter from the Hospital Surgeon they agreed to make full refund.
The tickets were paid for via PayPal but his PayPal account had been frozen and despite repeated requests and despite forwarding the required documents to PayPal to reopen the account it remains frozen. This meant that the airline were unable to make the refund to PP but agreed, after some discussion, to refund to our personal band account - subject to the supply of letters of authority from the bank which were sent to SIA on 04 July and receipt was acknowledged with the refund time estimated at 3/4 weeks.
On 22nd July SIA airlines advised that the refund had been authorised but despite regular checks with the bank and with SIA, no refund has been received.
Around 30th August after a further check with SIA we were informed that the refund had been made but rejected by the bank. After checks with our bank - who confirmed that no payment had been received or rejected from SIA- it transpired that SIA had mistakenly made the refund to the wrong bank !! but would rectify the problem within 24/48 hrs. We are still waiting and SIA say they cannot supply a status update
The refund amounts to over 11,000 Singapore Dollars and this prolonged process is causing considerable stress and anxiety to myself but more so to my husband who is still in rehab from his operation and now has to undertake treatment for anxiety.
I am told it is not possible to take legal action against the airline and we are at a loss of how to proceed. Any advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Although frustrating, it appears that the main issue is that a Paypal account is frozen, presumably through no fault of Singapore airlines. All of the issues you relate appear to be due to the frozen account. Trying to get the refund to go directly to a bank account complicates the process exponentially, and errors appear to have happened. A very simple process has been turned into a very complex process.

Why has your husband been unable to get his Paypal account unfrozen? This would solve the problem.

You can pursue this further through SIA contatces: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/singapore-airlines/
Read these pages before emailing SIA.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/singapore-airlines/
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Sep 13, 2019
Thanks for your response. I can't agree that all of the issues I have mentioned relate to the frozen PayPal account. The airline agreed to make the refund to the bank account over 2 months ago so I cannot see how the frozen PayPal account comes into it. The PayPal account was frozen in March after payment for the tickets to the airline and I was advised it needed re-validating by updating identity details, which have been supplied. If you check the PayPal community forum you will find many references to people waiting many months for re-validation to take place.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you had made the reservation using a credit card this would not have happened (unless your CC was canceled). Using PayPal adds another layer of potential problems, just like when one uses Priceline/Expedia/Orbitz for bookings things get complicated when refunds are needed or other changes are needed.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Singapore Airlines does not accept Paypal for payment. Here are their terms and conditions. Did you pay for the ticket using a third-party booking engine?

4.5 You must pay at the time of reservation. Fares and taxes will be quoted and charged in the currency displayed in the fare quote. Credit cards issued by Visa, MasterCard, Diners and American Express may be used for reservations. However, these credit card options are not available in every departure city. For these purposes only, the booking facility shall be deemed to be based in the country of your departure city.

4.6 For Electronic Ticket, you must present the credit card that was used to purchase the Ticket and your passport at check-in. If you fail to produce the purchasing credit card for verification, SIA reserves the right to deny the ticket holder(s) from boarding.

Sep 19, 2015
Singapore Airlines does not accept Paypal for payment. Here are their terms and conditions. Did you pay for the ticket using a third-party booking engine?

4.5 You must pay at the time of reservation. Fares and taxes will be quoted and charged in the currency displayed in the fare quote. Credit cards issued by Visa, MasterCard, Diners and American Express may be used for reservations. However, these credit card options are not available in every departure city. For these purposes only, the booking facility shall be deemed to be based in the country of your departure city.

4.6 For Electronic Ticket, you must present the credit card that was used to purchase the Ticket and your passport at check-in. If you fail to produce the purchasing credit card for verification, SIA reserves the right to deny the ticket holder(s) from boarding.
I respectfully disagree. The airline accepts PayPal I’m certain markets — same with Alipay.

Some regions of the world have fewer credit cards issued and electronic banking is more prevalent.

As the OP paid in Singapore dollars they are likely on the website for Singapore and not the US.

Attachments

Jan 6, 2015
If I understand the sequence of events correctly, the next logical step would be an appeal to the executive level at Singapore Airlines

Specifics (suggested)
  • In March 2019 my husband booked an itinerary with Singapore Airlines using Paypal funds
  • In May your representatives agreed to a full refund based upon a health-related event (knee surgery with accompanying documentation)
  • After some discussion, your representatives further agreed to refund to our bank instead of our Paypal account (which had, since the initial purchase) been frozen
  • Letters of authority from our bank were sent to SIA on Jul 4th and receipt was acknowledged (ETA was 3 to 4 weeks)
  • On Jul 22, SIA advised that the refund had been authorized but as of this date no refund has been received
  • On Jul 30, SIA advised that the refund had been rejected by the bank. This was because SIA chose the wrong bank
  • SIA committed to rectify the problem within 24-to-48 hrs. We are still waiting and SIA representatives now say they cannot supply a status update.
Please assist us in obtaining the promised refund (over 11,000 Singapore Dollars)​

Please accept my apologies if I have misunderstood . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Paypal certainly caused the mess by suspending the account.

However if someone at Singapore made a typo in the electronic transfer that may explain why the refund was rejected. I think you should write to Signapore and include the exact banking instructions again and request the refund.

I am often petrified that I will make a type/mistake with a wire transfer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful mess, I am so sorry this is happening on top of your husband's surgery. While the PayPal issue started the problem, Singapore Air has agreed to refund to your bank account but sent the funds to the wrong bank. They agreed to refund to the correct bank. You've received no refund and cannot obtain a status report. Please use our executive contacts to write a concise, polite email stating the facts. Be very appreciative of their offer of a refund, even though it hasn't actually happened. I would not mention your husband's anxiety issue, I don't see that as relevant. You are writing to a busy executive, so you want that person to be able to grasp your situation on the first read-through. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Sep 13, 2019

You are entirely incorrect.

Sep 13, 2019
What an awful mess, I am so sorry this is happening on top of your husband's surgery. While the PayPal issue started the problem, Singapore Air has agreed to refund to your bank account but sent the funds to the wrong bank. They agreed to refund to the correct bank. You've received no refund and cannot obtain a status report. Please use our executive contacts to write a concise, polite email stating the facts. Be very appreciative of their offer of a refund, even though it hasn't actually happened. I would not mention your husband's anxiety issue, I don't see that as relevant. You are writing to a busy executive, so you want that person to be able to grasp your situation on the first read-through. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Thank you for your support and comments.

Sep 13, 2019
If I understand the sequence of events correctly, the next logical step would be an appeal to the executive level at Singapore Airlines

Specifics (suggested)
  • In March 2019 my husband booked an itinerary with Singapore Airlines using Paypal funds
  • In May your representatives agreed to a full refund based upon a health-related event (knee surgery with accompanying documentation)
  • After some discussion, your representatives further agreed to refund to our bank instead of our Paypal account (which had, since the initial purchase) been frozen
  • Letters of authority from our bank were sent to SIA on Jul 4th and receipt was acknowledged (ETA was 3 to 4 weeks)
  • On Jul 22, SIA advised that the refund had been authorized but as of this date no refund has been received
  • On Jul 30, SIA advised that the refund had been rejected by the bank. This was because SIA chose the wrong bank
  • SIA committed to rectify the problem within 24-to-48 hrs. We are still waiting and SIA representatives now say they cannot supply a status update.
Please assist us in obtaining the promised refund (over 11,000 Singapore Dollars)​

Please accept my apologies if I have misunderstood . . .
Many thanks, I have again requested a status update, not yet received. I intend to write on the lines you suggest(when I can identify a individual contact) and send by courier to ensure it has a better chance ending at its intended destination.

Sep 13, 2019
Actually it is due to the PayPal account because refunds always go back to the original form of payment. I’m actually surprised they offered to make an exception.
But they did agree and confirmed they would make the payment to the bank account, which they did and it was rejected, despite having a copy of my band managers letter with the reference SIA asked to be quoted together with the bank address, code and account details !!

Jan 6, 2015
I intend to write on the lines you suggest(when I can identify a individual contact) and send by courier to ensure it has a better chance ending at its intended destination.
If you click on the red text in my post ("executives at Singapore Airlines"), you will see the list of executive contacts. I think email should suffice.

Writing suggestions
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level indicated in the list
Present a brief summary (list) of your case and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But they did agree and confirmed they would make the payment to the bank account, which they did and it was rejected, despite having a copy of my band managers letter with the reference SIA asked to be quoted together with the bank address, code and account details !!
I understand but this was referring to your comment that you couldn’t believe this was all caused by the PayPal account. I was explaining it was directly related to the PayPal issue. If the account hasn’t been limited by PayPal you would have had your refund already.

But they certainly did make a mistake by crediting the wrong account. Don’t use regular mail- it slows the process and you have no proof a letter would even arrive.

Use our company contacts and use email. Don’t add attachments - you want to limit the possibility of anything going to spam. Start at the first executive and work your way up one at a time leaving a week in between each letter.

Let us know how that works.

Sep 13, 2019
If you click on the red text in my post ("executives at Singapore Airlines"), you will see the list of executive contacts. I think email should suffice.

Writing suggestions
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level indicated in the list
Present a brief summary (list) of your case and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

We are located in Sarawak and make all out bookings with SIA Singapore Office direct. I am thinking Global Head of Sales may be the best option ?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 13, 2019
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/singapore-airlines/

Your first email should go to to
Primary Contact
Carol Ong
Senior Manager Global & Corporate Sales
Airline House
25 Airline Road
819829, Singapore
[email protected]

Write and give it one week for her to reply. Then you move to the next if she doesn’t help.

Please read this carefully and follow it:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Thanks so much for this information . Will do next week and let you know results.