Simple cruise made complicated by the Jones Act?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 20, 2016
My wife & I are wondering if Norwegian "steered" us wrong on a recent Alaskan cruise. We booked the Norwegian Pearl for a cruise up the CA coast w/ the understanding that the cruise would end in Vancouver. Then we wanted to cruise on up to Alaska so we were advised, and sold tickets to get off of the Pearl, spend the night in Vancouver, & embark on the Jewel which was going on to Seattle, and then sail to Alaska and back to Seattle. That made 3 cruises, and a separate hotel stay. However, while on the Pearl we came to understand that it too was going on up to Alaska, so we thought well, why not just stay on that ship, where we were already settled in, & go on up to AK on it. Why this option wasn't offered when we initially booked is curious, but the NCL agent in their sales department in Florida is no longer with NCL. Maybe this is part of the reason. So we asked at their service desk if we could do that. That's when things got strange. They called their home office in FL & said they were told that we could not do that b/c it would violate the Jones Act. (Feel free to start groaning at this point). Apparently people who boarded the Pearl in Miami & went thru the Panama Canal were eligible b/c of Panama being a foreign port. So we attempted to point out that Vancouver was a "foreign port" but their answer, as best we could understand, was that Vancouver was not "foreign enough" . So we got off in Vancouver & spent the night & then got onto the Jewel & went on to AK, but we are still wondering if the cruise line told us the correct information. Changing ships, made a simple cruise difficult due to all the customs, and check in lines that were duplicated. Any thought or advice on how to avoid these problems in the future?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes, silly but true. You absolutely needed to do exactly what you did. The Foreign Port needs to be a Distant Foreign port and Vancouver does not qualify but the Panama Canal folks do qualify.

I can't figure out why this has not been fixed but the law is on the books and you have to get off the ship and do exactly what you did ;)

Aug 28, 2015
New York
My wife & I are wondering if Norwegian "steered" us wrong on a recent Alaskan cruise. We booked the Norwegian Pearl for a cruise up the CA coast w/ the understanding that the cruise would end in Vancouver. Then we wanted to cruise on up to Alaska so we were advised, and sold tickets to get off of the Pearl, spend the night in Vancouver, & embark on the Jewel which was going on to Seattle, and then sail to Alaska and back to Seattle. That made 3 cruises, and a separate hotel stay. However, while on the Pearl we came to understand that it too was going on up to Alaska, so we thought well, why not just stay on that ship, where we were already settled in, & go on up to AK on it. Why this option wasn't offered when we initially booked is curious, but the NCL agent in their sales department in Florida is no longer with NCL. Maybe this is part of the reason. So we asked at their service desk if we could do that. That's when things got strange. They called their home office in FL & said they were told that we could not do that b/c it would violate the Jones Act. (Feel free to start groaning at this point). Apparently people who boarded the Pearl in Miami & went thru the Panama Canal were eligible b/c of Panama being a foreign port. So we attempted to point out that Vancouver was a "foreign port" but their answer, as best we could understand, was that Vancouver was not "foreign enough" . So we got off in Vancouver & spent the night & then got onto the Jewel & went on to AK, but we are still wondering if the cruise line told us the correct information. Changing ships, made a simple cruise difficult due to all the customs, and check in lines that were duplicated. Any thought or advice on how to avoid these problems in the future?
@Larry Newman I love how you wrote this, by the way. It's very funny and explains the situation perfectly.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
In the interest of education (and not nit-picking), this situation is due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) which regulates transportation of passengers between US ports. The Jones Act mainly regulates cargo. That said, many cruise lines incorrectly refer to the Jones Act. Both are protectionist laws with extinct rationales.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks JVillegirl541, for your quick reply. We read the Elliott articles in the Tucson Sunday Star, and find them very interesting, and informative. We look forward to spending some quality time on your website.
We'll be very glad to have you on the forum, Larry. Your story is absolutely fascinating! Bureaucracy at its best, that's for sure. I'm leaving for Alaska on Sunday and REALLY looking forward to it. Chime in here with advice whenever you wish.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We'll be very glad to have you on the forum, Larry. Your story is absolutely fascinating! Bureaucracy at its best, that's for sure. I'm leaving for Alaska on Sunday and REALLY looking forward to it. Chime in here with advice whenever you wish.
Judy! Leaving in the morning for Anchorage ;)