Shower fell on feet

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 17, 2017
Recently I stayed at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit.
I paid around $250 per day in order to get decent stay. But the day on which I arrived the shower fell on me, but luckily I was just other side and moved quickly aside. I asked the front desk manager to come and look at, she came & took photograph and went back.

Next day I showed my friendliness, that it happens sometimes, and I am not bragging the issue when I meet the chief manager of room. While I was talking to him, the another team went back to my room and fixed all things along with few lights which were not working.even tough I mentioned to leave it as it is, as I am was going to change room. But at the same day same night, while I was using overhead shower, the hand shower panel fell on me again, but this time it fell on my left foot, leaving it injured and muscle pain till 6 days. As it was less, there were red ants on my bed which left my back bruised for several days.

I was at Bangkok to attend convention from 6-7the December followed by networking events.which was so painful to me as I had tremendous pain in my foot. No doubt that I consulted my doctor back to my home over Video call and told that rest and ice pack along wit anti inflammatory and pain killers will help me to get through the days.

At the day of injury, I agree that staff helped me to change my room and bring me ice pack. Than people went back like nothing has happened. on 7th when I was leaving for Business meetings,the Chief of operation met me.And showed all sympathy that he could offer and kept asking me what I want. I just became very generous and said that "I lost trust on brand and its up to you how you make it". And they offered nothing till went ahead asked a heavy discount along with free airport transfer (both back and fro). I have constantly telling them I am not kind of person who brag this issue and they both got angry on me, and finally I decided to leave 2 days prior to my actual date and came back home.

Now thing is no one even bothered to come and ask what is the situation of my leg. They arranged car only for one day that is for evening of the day when I was injured. Than nothing. They told me that the transportation is outsourced. And they got out with free card. I was being nice and gave them chances to make up for it and instead they neglected me so much that nothing just happened. They are most self loathed people living with arrogance as their General Manager has been transferred and new one has not been assigned.

PS: I have photographs how the shower fell on my feet. Plus I also ave evidence that how they care even a small details in Hotel and corrected all time.

I am asking my self why I paid that big amount to get insulted and injured.

Now what should I do, As I dont want to make mistakes.
Also I dont want to ask anything big in return as they are international chain and can do anything that they want.

Kindly help.

Regards.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful experience. I hope your foot is healing properly, as well as your back.

I think the first thing we should know is what you want as compensation for your injuries, inconvenience and pain. Hotels rarely offer much on their own in a situation like this, they expect the injured guest to tell them what he wants. Their first concern is liability.

I think that I understand pretty much what happened with the shower, but I can't figure out the red ants and bruising of your back. What happened there? After you video-conferenced with your doctor and got a treatment plan, did you go see that doctor when you got home? Did you seek any medical attention while you were at the Marriott or before you went home? Did you incur any medical expenses? Please let us know and we will try to assist.

Dec 17, 2017
Hello

Thanks for Reply.
I want the wavier of room charges during those time duration and one way airport transfer that they charged on arrival. They charged it even though they told me that they will deduct it.

Now I found red ants (four to be exact) on my back and 2 on Bed where I was siting. Those fire ants left burning patches and eventually with more bites led bruises on my back. I didn't even imagined that they were ants that also red firing one.

After I called my doctor he said that it will subsided by own with rest and ice on injured area. Its inflammatory sore muscles. With couple of ibuprofen as to control pain I somehow managed to get through days.

After coming home I went to doctor to see any major injury is there, but there was no sign of aggravated injury and with rest and proper care its healing.

I denied to go to any foreign doctor as I am quite allergic to certain medication and only my Family Physician knows about it since he knows my history since twenty years. On his recommendation I waited for 12 hours to watch it carefully and thankfully there are no other symptoms. So its just sore muscles with inflammation.I did not incur any medical expenses, as it was all done by my Family Physician and he did not charged me for being generous, and also I had ibuprofen with me as I carry along me whenever I go abroad.

Please do help.
And Thanks again.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Happy to hear that there's no long-term health issues from this ordeal. I would compose a brief, polite email to Marriott Customer Service, outlining what happened ... just the facts, no emotion. Tell them how you suffered from the faulty shower aparatus and the red ants in your bed. Ask for a credit towards future stay in the amount of your room charges plus the transfer. Credits towards future hotel stays are much more available than cash refunds. It's wise to have someone else with no knowledge of what happened read your email to be sure you're covering all the bases.

If you don't hear from CS in two weeks, escalate your issue using our Company Contacts. Submit to the lowest name, then on up the ladder, waiting a week between each submission. We have found that the executives are much easier to deal with than the CS people, they have the ability to get things done. Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Jul 27, 2016
As a suggestion, when you reach out to Marriott, take out references to the staff as "self-loathing" or "arrogant." Remove the emotion and the insults.

The hand shower panel fell off the wall.
You contacted management, and maintenance fixed it.
They didn't fix it properly, it fell again, and landed on your foot, injuring your foot.
You believe appropriate compensation is a refund of XYZ% of what you paid, and a bill credit for your round-trip airport transfer.

Dec 17, 2017
As a suggestion, when you reach out to Marriott, take out references to the staff as "self-loathing" or "arrogant." Remove the emotion and the insults.

The hand shower panel fell off the wall.
You contacted management, and maintenance fixed it.
They didn't fix it properly, it fell again, and landed on your foot, injuring your foot.
You believe appropriate compensation is a refund of XYZ% of what you paid, and a bill credit for your round-trip airport transfer.
yes Indeed. Thanks

Dec 17, 2017
Happy to hear that there's no long-term health issues from this ordeal. I would compose a brief, polite email to Marriott Customer Service, outlining what happened ... just the facts, no emotion. Tell them how you suffered from the faulty shower aparatus and the red ants in your bed. Ask for a credit towards future stay in the amount of your room charges plus the transfer. Credits towards future hotel stays are much more available than cash refunds. It's wise to have someone else with no knowledge of what happened read your email to be sure you're covering all the bases.

If you don't hear from CS in two weeks, escalate your issue using our Company Contacts. Submit to the lowest name, then on up the ladder, waiting a week between each submission. We have found that the executives are much easier to deal with than the CS people, they have the ability to get things done. Good luck, and please keep us updated.
Thanks.
If I may ask how do I hear from them, by email or phone?
Do you need my membership number and hotel confirmation number to include in email?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks.
If I may ask how do I hear from them, by email or phone?
Do you need my membership number and hotel confirmation number to include in email?
You need to do the letter writing. We have company contacts on top of our pages- go to hotels and get the Marriott email contacts. Yes you should give them your membership number and hotel info. You must tell them just what you told us.

Start at Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If you don’t hear from them or they don’t help, write to the first executive we have listed. Repeat weekly going up the executive chain if you have to.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You will hear back from them by phone or email. If one of those is the better contact contact for you, tell them that's what you prefer. We'll be happy to look at your email before you send if if you wish.

Dec 17, 2017
Hello

Here is the composed email.
Please help me to make corrections and I also couldn't decide the email subject which draw the attention of CS team. I know what to ask in compensation, but in don't know the language that would sound appealing rather than harsh and insulting.

Email:
Recently I stayed at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit.
I paid around $250 per day in order to get decent stay. But the day on which I arrived (3rd December 2017) the shower fell on me, but luckily I was just other side and moved quickly aside. I asked the front desk manager to come and look at, she came & took photograph and went back.

Next day when the Director of Rooms met me. And I told him courteously that it happens sometimes, and I will not be bragging the issue. While I was talking to him, the maintenance fixed all things along with few lights which were not working. They didn't fix it properly, it fell again, and landed on your foot, injuring your foot. same day same night, while I was using overhead shower. Moreover, there were red ants on my bed which left my back bruised for several days.

I was at Bangkok to attend convention from 6-7the December followed by networking events. which was so painful to me as I had tremendous pain in my foot. Moreover I also consulted my doctor back to my home over Video call and I was told that "rest and ice pack along with anti inflammatory and pain killers medicines" will help me to get through the days

At the day of injury, I agree that staff helped me to change my room and bring me ice packs. That's it. On 7th December when I was leaving for Business meetings, the Chief of operation met me. And showed all sympathy that he could offer and kept asking me what I want. I just became very generous and said that "I lost trust on brand and it's up to you how you make it". And they offered nothing till went ahead asked a heavy discount along with free airport transfer (both back and fro). I have constantly telling them what's their decision, and finally I decided to leave 2 days prior to my actual date and came back home.

Now I am still wondering and asking myself that why there were not a single person to check on me how I was doing. They arranged car only for one day that is for evening of the day when I was injured and They told me that the transportation is outsourced. Which I thought that would be fine that I don't want to use their outsourced transportation as it was pricy even though hotel provided discount.

I was being nice and gave them chances to make up for it and instead I felt like it's my fault to chose that hotel to stay. They haven't been polite in last conversation and thus it dawn on me that leaving the hotel would be best, And I immediately reschedule my flight and went to my city.

Jan 6, 2015
Your text seems a little too long and harder to follow than a bulleted list. Here's my suggestion for you.

Suggested Title: Injury at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit​
  • December 3, 2017 (day of arrival): The shower fell on me (no injury at this time). Front Desk manager photographed and left.
  • December 4, 2017: Maintenance attempted a fix, but the shower fell again and injured my foot (say which one). Also, I found red ants on my bed, which left my back bruised for several days.
I consulted with my doctor over a Video call and was told that "rest and ice pack along with anti-inflammatory and pain killers" would help me get through the rest of my stay. The staff helped me to change rooms and bring me ice packs.​

• December 7, 2017: I asked the Chief of Operations for compensation in the form of a heavy discount along with free airport transfer (to and from). (My question here is: " Did they grant your request?")
  • December ?, 2017: Left early for home
You have not stated exactly what you want from them at this point. You should add that ...

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your text seems a little too long and harder to follow than a bulleted list. Here's my suggestion for you.

Suggested Title: Injury at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit
  • December 3, 2017 (day of arrival): The shower fell on me (no injury at this time). Front Desk manager photographed and left.
  • December 4, 2017: Maintenance attempted a fix, but the shower fell again and injured my foot (say which one). Also, I found red ants on my bed, which left my back bruised for several days.
I consulted with my doctor over a Video call and was told that "rest and ice pack along with anti-inflammatory and pain killers" would help me get through the rest of my stay. The staff helped me to change rooms and bring me ice packs.​
  • December 7, 2017: I asked the Chief of Operations for compensation in the form of a heavy discount along with free airport transfer (to and from). (My question here is: " Did they grant your request?")
  • December ?, 2017: Left early for home
You have not stated exactly what you want from them at this point. You should add that ...
Perfect - Avid, your letter had too many things that are't necessary. This has facts only. And yes, you need to tell them what you want.

Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for your all inputs. I appreciate that.

They did grant the request of both Airport Transfer.
I need three days of room charges to be refunded along with arrival airport transfer charge.

And should I include the pics as an evidence to provide? I did captured the incident just to be safe in case the things dont go well. And here I am. Please help me to make choice.

Thanks

Dec 17, 2017
Hello,

I have received email from support as below

"I am sorry your stay at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit was not the Marriott experience you deserve.

I shared the details you provided with the executive team at the hotel. They will take action and respond to you soon. I ask that you allow us three to five business days to resolve this issue.

You can count on Marriott to improve your experience in the future.

Safe travels,
Marriott Customer Care"

Dec 17, 2017
So any opinion??
Because they forwarded my message to the hotel.
The Chief of rooms and Chief of operations, I have talked to them. and they have not done everything to make my stay uncomfortable. And both were very rude. They did not GM at that time and chief of operation was the interim one. And did not make this issue into consideration.
So what should I do?