Shortchanged by American Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
On our flight back from Europe we had 1st Class tix from Philly to SFO.
In PHL we were told that AA did not have a pilot !!!!! for the original flight to SFO.
Two hours later they sent us to another flight (AA1742) which had no Business Class of First Class seats available.
We were put in coach. OK, no problem, we lived, but my 75-year-old back really hated it.
In a couple of days, AA refunded $267.51 to each of us.
The current one-way ticket prices are $540 in coach vs. $1315 in 1st Class from PHL to SFO. The difference is $775 and NOT $267.51.
Given this entire fiasco was caused by AA, I will NEVER choose AA when I have alternatives.
I am also changing my Citicard AA mileage card to something else.

May 30, 2019
This is sad, but not surprising. When downgrading customers, airlines often calculate the price differential between FC & coach based on advance purchase fares or fare segments at the time, while customers see it based on different criteria.

You may want to consider what you should expect as a proper refund amount, and work from that amount making polite requests to customer service. Telling them upfront that you won't choose AA and you are cutting up your Citi AA card would not be prudent.