Short connection time in CDG on Air France flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 5, 2017
We have only a one hour connection time when we arrive at CDG in Paris before we leave again for Athens. Both flights are on Air France. I have heard awful stories about people missing their connection because first they have to retrieve their luggage at CDG and then go through customs, change terminals and recheck their bags. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

Feb 9, 2016
When I connected thru London I wondered if less than 2 hours was going to be sufficient. We would have made it. The London to Greece flight was delayed by an hour so no big deal anyways.

Can you change your flight to a later one? The good news is that you are ticketed thru on Air France so, if anything delays your first flight, Air France will get you on the next one.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No. Don't book a connection less than 2 hours. If your flight leaves the U.S. late you will never make a one hour connection. You have tobe at the gate at least a half hour before the flight leaves - you won't make it. If you have to get your luggage you will never make that connection either.

Reactions: VoR61
Nov 14, 2016
Just did a CDG - ATL - SRQ trip. We had almost a 3 hour layover scheduled in ATL.

Plenty of time, right? We had to run to the plane and if the 6 of us weren't in first class they would have taken off already. Plane left a half hour late, took another half hour to get a gate, took 45 minutes for the bags and security took another 45 minutes. Add in walking time and customs and there went my 3 hours in a hurry.

Now a transfer in CDG to go to Athens doesn't require the same considerations but given the French propensity for not being punctual I'd want a lot more time than that.

Jul 27, 2016
International to Shengen MCT at CDG is 60 minutes, so that's technically a legal connection, but it's really tight. To be prepared, I'd check whether your flight to Athens is the last of the day.

Jul 13, 2016
Are both flights booked on one ticket, or do you have two separate tickets? If one ticket, the bags might be transferred for you without the need to pick them up and re-check them. Bets bet is to call AF and ask.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm a 'world traveller', have been for years, but I find CDG almost incomprehensible to navigate. We were headed to baggage claim once and ended up outside the terminal. Of course, that was Icelandair, but it should have been impossible.

You should gather all the info from Air France that you can about where you land, where you depart from, etc. There are good airport maps on the internet which you can study.

However, I agree with everyone else ... the connection time is just too short. While it's possible your first flight will land early, it will be a quick hike to the connection, no issues with Customs, bags, whatever ... you shouldn't count on it.

I'd call, throw yourself on their mercy and ask for a later flight to Athens. This all assumes that both flights are on the same tix. If not, you'll have to rebook the flight to Athens now or face having to buy a walkup fare tix when you miss the connection. I hope you booked directly with AirFrance and not some online booking agent. Good luck and please let us know what transpires.

Jun 27, 2017
I agree with Neil. We've been in CDG. Even if your arrival flight is on time, it takes 15-20 minutes to get off the plane, find where your connecting flight is, get to the proper terminal, and the proper gate. They may already be boarding by the time you arrive at the gate. CDG is a huge airport. Lots of people. Very confusing. If you can't switch your connecting flight, have your running shoes on.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
I'm at CDG right now awaiting takeoff to ATL. We arrived on time from Prague with a 1 1/2 hour layover. My husband and I were among the first people off the plane, moved very quickly, never stopped anywhere along the way, and still didn't get to the gate until after boarding had begun. I'd recommend 2 hours minimum for sure.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
We had to take a very slow bus to get to the terminal for the connecting flight and this took quite some time. There was no option for a tram. You'd think the only vehicles on this path would be shuttle buses but that's not the case. There were all kinds of service vehicles making an already slow transfer even slower. Add to that a 90 degree day and no air-conditioning on the bus and the ride seemed to take an eternity.

Reactions: Neil Maley