Shopping for wedding dresses

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 14, 2018
Ive found Shopping for wedding dresses online is much cheaper than online. The dress i like is found on
Peachesboutique.com, Promgirl.net, and Couturecandy.com. Is there a way to check if these are reputable companies? Also, Aside from their refund policy is there anything else I should watch for?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Congratulations, Jody. I think you can just do a search for "Complains against peachesboutique.com" and find that information. No doubt the dresses are much cheaper with no overhead; I'm sure they have them drop-shipped from the manufacturer.

Please consider that you'll get no service ... no alterations, nobody to help you if there's a problem with the dress ... the kind of thing that can drive a bride (and maybe her mother too) mad. Your local dry cleaner who does alterations probably can't help you, a wedding dress is a pretty fragile piece of very special apparel and not just anyone can sit own at her sewing machine with it. I just noticed that David's Bridal has gone out of business at my local shopping center in Northern California ... if there are any stores near you,they might be selling inventory at a nice discount somewhere.

Dec 19, 2014
Suggestions include google <name of company> followed by sucks usually works wonders

Things to beware of are...
- The photo of the dress is different from the dress that you actually receive
- The dress is delayed or doesn't ship in the time promise

Dec 14, 2018
Congratulations, Jody. I think you can just do a search for "Complains against peachesboutique.com" and find that information. No doubt the dresses are much cheaper with no overhead; I'm sure they have them drop-shipped from the manufacturer.

Please consider that you'll get no service ... no alterations, nobody to help you if there's a problem with the dress ... the kind of thing that can drive a bride (and maybe her mother too) mad. Your local dry cleaner who does alterations probably can't help you, a wedding dress is a pretty fragile piece of very special apparel and not just anyone can sit own at her sewing machine with it. I just noticed that David's Bridal has gone out of business at my local shopping center in Northern California ... if there are any stores near you,they might be selling inventory at a nice discount somewhere.
Thank you for the good advice!

Dec 14, 2018
Suggestions include google <name of company> followed by sucks usually works wonders

Things to beware of are...
- The photo of the dress is different from the dress that you actually receive
- The dress is delayed or doesn't ship in the time promise
Thanks, I'll try tour suggestions for google search

Sep 19, 2015
Beware of fake positive reviews.

Beware of return shipping fees.

Beware of credit only returns which means if you are not sure of a size you can only order one at a time and then return it and have to wait for shipping of size larger or smaller and then are stuck with that store if the style does not work.

Remember that price is not the ultimate factor. Being able to try something on in person, to feel the fabric and look at the stitching — that means a lot. Do these online sellers have known brands that you know your size and can be reassured that the seams are stitched and not glued together and the glue falls apart on a damp day as you are walking down the aisle?

Some synthetic fabric feel like cardboard or a fabric can wrinkle after sitting for38 seconds— one does not know online.

And as others have said use a credit card.

Dec 14, 2018
Beware of fake positive reviews.

Beware of return shipping fees.

Beware of credit only returns which means if you are not sure of a size you can only order one at a time and then return it and have to wait for shipping of size larger or smaller and then are stuck with that store if the style does not work.

Remember that price is not the ultimate factor. Being able to try something on in person, to feel the fabric and look at the stitching — that means a lot. Do these online sellers have known brands that you know your size and can be reassured that the seams are stitched and not glued together and the glue falls apart on a damp day as you are walking down the aisle?

Some synthetic fabric feel like cardboard or a fabric can wrinkle after sitting for38 seconds— one does not know online.

And as others have said use a credit card.
Excellent advice, I've actually tried the dress on in a store so i know the quality.
One thing i was hoping to find in reviews is if the store honors their return policy.

Sep 19, 2015
That is a good start JodyG and also beware of companies selling poor quality knock offs.

Your wedding day should be happy celebration of love and commitment and should not be overshadowed by a bad business, whether it be online or a physical store.

It is always good to ask for advice and different perspectives, I just went into critical thinking mode.

Apr 10, 2017
Excellent advice, I've actually tried the dress on in a store so i know the quality.
One thing i was hoping to find in reviews is if the store honors their return policy.
First of all, congratulations.

I wouldn't bank on the dress you order online being the same as the one you saw in the store. As Christina said many of these sites sell knockoffs that are cheaply made (hence, the cheaper price) but falsely advertised as the real thing.

Any chance you could find someone local who can make the dress? I will preface this by saying that I couldn't have cared less about a wedding and would have much rather eloped. My husband and I paid for over half of it ourselves and didn't want to spend a lot. I know it's a long shot and I got extremely lucky to find a very talented seamstress. I described what I wanted and she drew it out exactly how I pictured it in my mind. I got a custom Italian satin wedding gown and veil for under $400. A similar dress and veil I saw in a store were $1600 and there would have undoubtedly been alteration expenses. I doubt the quality was as good either. Yes, this was years ago.

Feb 21, 2018
As a mother-of-the-bride who just last year shopped for gowns with my daughter, another word of advice...

Many legitimate dress designers will only sell through authorized retailers to protect their designs. If the dress you tried on in a store was designed by one of the bigger wedding fashion houses, be very careful about ordering elsewhere and make sure it is truly and authorized retailer or it is virtually certain you'll get a knock-off.

Beware of sizing when ordering on-line. That size 12 you tried on in the store and fits perfectly has been tried on countless times, and is likely stretched out and no longer true to a size 12.

Even buying in a regular salon, the new dress that comes in will not necessarily look exactly like the sample. It will be stiffer and cleaner because it is brand new.

Dec 14, 2018
That is a good start JodyG and also beware of companies selling poor quality knock offs.

Your wedding day should be happy celebration of love and commitment and should not be overshadowed by a bad business, whether it be online or a physical store.

It is always good to ask for advice and different perspectives, I just went into critical thinking mode.
Thats exactly what i need!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As a mother-of-the-bride who just last year shopped for gowns with my daughter, another word of advice...

Many legitimate dress designers will only sell through authorized retailers to protect their designs. If the dress you tried on in a store was designed by one of the bigger wedding fashion houses, be very careful about ordering elsewhere and make sure it is truly and authorized retailer or it is virtually certain you'll get a knock-off.

Beware of sizing when ordering on-line. That size 12 you tried on in the store and fits perfectly has been tried on countless times, and is likely stretched out and no longer true to a size 12.

Even buying in a regular salon, the new dress that comes in will not necessarily look exactly like the sample. It will be stiffer and cleaner because it is brand new.
This is absolutely true. You will end up more stressed if you order a dress online and don’t get what you think you will.

As we have learned here - you get what you pay for and many times as consumers have learned- there is a reason things are cheaper and it’s not a good reason.

Be very careful.

Feb 23, 2018
My sister-in-law found the wedding dress she had been looking at for a much cheaper price online. She ordered it but the dress she received was nothing like the picture online or the dress she had tried on in the store. Cheap material, poorly sewn and returning it to China nearly impossible. She lucked out finding a sample dress that could be altered in time for the wedding.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My sister-in-law found the wedding dress she had been looking at for a much cheaper price online. She ordered it but the dress she received was nothing like the picture online or the dress she had tried on in the store. Cheap material, poorly sewn and returning it to China nearly impossible. She lucked out finding a sample dress that could be altered in time for the wedding.
This is exactly what we are concerned with for our OP.
Thank you for posting your sister-in-laws experience.

Sep 18, 2014

Another aspect of buying a wedding dress online -- or any piece of clothing that is made in China -- is that they probably use "Asian sizing", which could be 2 or 3 sizes smaller than the equivalent US size. (Using the size 12 example above, an Asian size 12 might fit a US size 6 or 8.) Many of these sites show the models only from the neck down, which is a big red flag that it's a cheapo Chinese knock-off site and what you see and order is probably not what you'll get, size-wise or otherwise.

Dec 14, 2018
Thank you all for your useful comments. I just wanted to clarify that the dress I am looking at is by Clarisse, an U.S.designer and peachesboutique.com and promgirl.com appear to be authorized sellers. It appears my risk is timing of the delivery and the fee to return if its the wrong size. I do have a couple of capable seamstresses in mind for alterations. I'll have to think very carefull if saving $500 IS WORTH THE RISK.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you all for your useful comments. I just wanted to clarify that the dress I am looking at is by Clarisse, an U.S.designer and peachesboutique.com and promgirl.com appear to be authorized sellers. It appears my risk is timing of the delivery and the fee to return if its the wrong size. I do have a couple of capable seamstresses in mind for alterations. I'll have to think very carefull if saving $500 IS WORTH THE RISK.
I did see that Peachesboutique is an authorized seller as per the dress companies website, did not see promgirl but then I did not look very hard. yes you need to figure out the shipping costs and return costs, and plan on the worst case scenario, and then see if the price difference makes up for it.