SF Chronicle

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 13, 2020
We have subscribed for almost 50 years. Lately we get the paper 1 out of 3 times. I call every Sunday when we don’t get the paper, they say a new one will be delivered but it never is. I have left many messages for the supervisor, being very polite, but my calls are never returned. We do t get a credit. I can take a loss on what we’ve paid, but we really want the paper. I don’t know what else to do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call and cancel your paper. Even if it’s for a week or two - nothing gets a newspapers attention more then cancelling because print circulation is down and most are desperate to keep subscriptions. Sometimes that works to get things done that phone calls don’t. If you have a list or how many papers you paid for that weren’t delivered tell them the number that you pays for and never received.

We love our local newspaper but it has gotten so small we are considering canceling it. And we do read the online addition when we are traveling.

Sep 18, 2018
I believe the Editor's email to be: [email protected]

I suggest you escalate this to her and hope for a resolution . . .
Editors are in charge of the newsroom (content) and have nothing to do with circulation (this issue) or any other customer-service or business issue.

The immediate person the OC should contact is the circulation manager. After that, the senior vice president of operations (or an upper-level exec with a similar title). After that, the publisher.

Using the same email format and LinkedIn for this issue, they should be:

Circulation Manager: Blair Gilbert ([email protected])

Vice President of Circulation: Brad Nichols ([email protected])

Publisher: Bill Nagel ([email protected])

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We have subscribed for almost 50 years. Lately we get the paper 1 out of 3 times. I call every Sunday when we don’t get the paper, they say a new one will be delivered but it never is. I have left many messages for the supervisor, being very polite, but my calls are never returned. We do t get a credit. I can take a loss on what we’ve paid, but we really want the paper. I don’t know what else to do.
The only reliable way of getting any newspaper delivered is online. Have you signed up for online access?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I absolutely understand ... you've been reading the paper for 50 years, many of us (used to) have lovely Sunday morning rituals involving coffee, tea, chocolate, pastries and the Sunday paper. But that's no help to you ... the cold hard fact is that soon the Chronicle will be no longer printed. I sympathize with today's journalists ... subscriber numbers keep dwindling and people they hire for delivery aren't reliable. So more subscribers cancel. You may get your problem addressed temporarily, but not for long.

It's a sea-change for real readers, but you'll have to figure out a way to read your news online. Otherwise, you'll face this frustration until they stop printing the paper. Then you'll be forced to red it online, so why not try to start that habit right now? Many of my favorite magazines are no longer in print. I've helped ease the transition by buying a huge monitor, hooking it up to my laptop and sitting in my recliner to read the stuff I want. It's quite pleasant, actually.

Aug 29, 2018
I absolutely understand ... you've been reading the paper for 50 years, many of us (used to) have lovely Sunday morning rituals involving coffee, tea, chocolate, pastries and the Sunday paper. But that's no help to you ... the cold hard fact is that soon the Chronicle will be no longer printed. I sympathize with today's journalists ... subscriber numbers keep dwindling and people they hire for delivery aren't reliable. So more subscribers cancel. You may get your problem addressed temporarily, but not for long.

It's a sea-change for real readers, but you'll have to figure out a way to read your news online. Otherwise, you'll face this frustration until they stop printing the paper. Then you'll be forced to red it online, so why not try to start that habit right now? Many of my favorite magazines are no longer in print. I've helped ease the transition by buying a huge monitor, hooking it up to my laptop and sitting in my recliner to read the stuff I want. It's quite pleasant, actually.
Of course, you need electricity. And PG&E may not always provide it.

But that's not relevant. The original poster deserves a refund or credit for the missing papers. If you get no satisfaction from the circulation department, you should escalate to the Hearst Corporation. They own the Chronicle. Jeffrey Johnson is the senior VP and President of Hearst Newspapers.