Severe Allergic Reaction to JOBST compression pantyhose

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2018
How do I get help with this life altering, painful series of events from wearing JOBST thigh high stockings and pantyhose? Here is the manufacturer:

Customer Service Representative Product Services
HMS North America
BSN medical Inc.,
an Essity Company
1555 4th Ave SE
Hickory, NC 28602
828- 879-5100
I filled out an injury report. BSN Medical submitted it to Zurich NA (their insurer). Friday their adjuster told me their client is not responsible for what happened to me! This is outrageous as they are 100% responsible as I am positive their product brought this severe reaction onto my skin that has been with me since 7/14 and is only partially improved with permanent scaring likely.

In May 2018 I was told by Dr Machado (Kensington MD) that I needed to wear 15-20 mmHg) compression stocking to protect a varicose vein in my L leg. I went to a local drug store, found and bought JOBST thigh highs and wore them for about 1 week and I broke out in an severe Allergic Reaction to the silicone that is used in the band that holds the stocking up at the top of the thigh. Contacted Dr Machado and was told to stop wearing them and to look for an alternative compression stocking.
I then learned that there are pantyhose compression stockings that I assumed would remove the silicone band from the top of my thigh that is the design of the Thigh High stockings. I began to wear the JOBST pantyhose. On Sat 7/14, I developed a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION TO the pantyhose (substantially worse than the first reaction stated above) and now have a RED RASH AND BLISTERS ALL OVER MY LOWER TORSO FRONT, L torso side, upper L leg,, especially where leg connects to torso, pubic area, AND my BACK around waist line. I have many pics.
I have been using prescribed cream, Triamcinolone Acetonide .1% since 7/19/18— that I am using (2X daily) to treat my allergic reaction to silicone, prescribed by Dr Machado.
This severe allergic reaction to the JOBST stockings has been Extremely traumatic, life interrupting & DAY & NIGHT Painful. I have had to request to work remote for the last 7 days as wearing clothes was outrageously painful. I can’t sleep because this rash with blisters is on my back just below the waist line and about 2+ inches in height and 4+ inches in length, on my abdomen and throughout my pubic area, and on my left leg at the top of the thigh and continuing around/across the top of the thigh about 2.5 inches in height and 5 inches in length.
The cream seems to be helping with the horrible itching sensations, albeit slowly. It has dried up the skin & some of the blisters, but the skin is still RED and raw and likely will scar.
The cream has caused most of the bigger blisters to dry up but the skin underneath where the blisters were is red, raw flesh, not healthy normal skin.
Living with this has caused me to ask my employer to allow me to work from home b/c putting on clothes over this rash is very uncomfortable and distracting and would cause the healing time to be slowed.
After this allergic reaction I've had I did internet research and reactions like mine are posted on numerous compression stocking website forums; women with a severe silicone reaction from wearing compression stockings is an established event/occurrence for other women. There are no product warnings on the box these stocking came in.
I look forward to hearing back soon. I hope U call me please. How do I get the company to do right by me and offer me compensation for this severe and disabling life event that is now beyond 3 weeks and Not healed?

Thanks

Mar 17, 2015
What do you think this company did negligently? It is not JOBST’s fault that you had a severe allergic reaction to a product they sell. I am sorry you had such a bad reaction and hope that your recovery continues. Did the company deliberately mislead you about the product?

Aug 5, 2018
Yes, the company did mislead me because there is/was a real potential I've have an allergic reaction & this crap product is sold OTC to any unsuspecting consumer without any label warning. This is criminal negligence. If this had happened to you I suspect you'd have a far different view. Did U look at the pics? Rash is only 1/2 receded.
It IS absolutely the Fault of BSN Medical that I've had a life threatening severe allergic reaction to their product. I have done research and Other woman have had this happen to them. I have actually now been let go from my job b/c employer got disappointed that I'd requested over a week time to work remote. Did you view the pics? This 'over the counter' product comes without any warning label and that I criminal. How can anyone tell me that fault is not with the product manufacturer? This is a medical device that absolutely needs to have a warning label and when it severely damages human skin to such a deep and massive degree they need to be accountable and stand behind their product. Do you think that if an Apple cell phone caused people rashes from holding it/using it, Apple would not be sued and be found accountable?

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry to hear that you have a rash. Unless the silicone was not disclosed on the package it is likely that there is no case; this is out of the area of consumer advocacy and into legal issues.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am sorry to hear that you have a rash. Unless the silicone was not disclosed on the package it is likely that there is no case; this is out of the area of consumer advocacy and into legal issues.
I have to agree with my colleagues. Did the package state the stockings contain silicone? If so, they aren’t responsible for your allergy. Did you know you had an allergy to silicone? If not, this is how many of us learn we have an allergy.

They are made with and without silicone - what did the box state? If the box doesn’t state anywhere that there is silicone - then it’s a different story.

“Jobst Relief thigh high surgical stockings for men or women are made from smooth breathable fabric, and are available with a closed or open toe. This thigh high is available with or without a silicone top band. A body adhesive such as "It Stays" or a garter belt is necessary for models without the silicone band. Relief is Jobst's economy brand and features a generous toe area and reinforced heel pocket. “

This compression stocking provides 20-30mmHg of gradient compression and helps improve blood flow prevent edema (swelling) and reduce the discomfort caused by moderate to severe varicose veins. It helps in recovery from sclerotherapy and other post-surgical procedures. And it helps prevent the recurrence of venous ulcerations.
For men and women
Without silicone band - beige only
Open toe - beige only
No band: 74% nylon and 26% spandex. With silicone band: 70% nylon, 23% spandex, 7% silicone.

https://www.compressionsale.com/job...y4A-uZ9997Is6R-Fsox7qQgwHiqstDuBoCS_cQAvD_BwE

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes, the company did mislead me because there is/was a real potential I've have an allergic reaction & this crap product is sold OTC to any unsuspecting consumer without any label warning. This is criminal negligence. If this had happened to you I suspect you'd have a far different view. Did U look at the pics? Rash is only 1/2 receded.
It IS absolutely the Fault of BSN Medical that I've had a life threatening severe allergic reaction to their product. I have done research and Other woman have had this happen to them. I have actually now been let go from my job b/c employer got disappointed that I'd requested over a week time to work remote. Did you view the pics? This 'over the counter' product comes without any warning label and that I criminal. How can anyone tell me that fault is not with the product manufacturer? This is a medical device that absolutely needs to have a warning label and when it severely damages human skin to such a deep and massive degree they need to be accountable and stand behind their product. Do you think that if an Apple cell phone caused people rashes from holding it/using it, Apple would not be sued and be found accountable?
ANY OTC product that you ingest, wear, (including clothing) or apply to the skin has an inherent risk of allergic reaction. Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, suntan lotion etc. etc. all carry the risk of an allergic reaction for some people. This type of reaction is rare (but occurs) and not predictable UNLESS you have had previous allergic reactions to a known product. In that case, it is incumbent on the consumer to research all new products that they might use to see if the product contains the material that caused an allergic reaction.

"This is a medical device". It is NOT a medical device; it is an OTC garment.

You may wish to consult a products liability attorney but there is no inherent cause of action for you to pursue. The fact that you are allergic to any product does not make the manufacturer liable.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2016
I am sure this has been very painful experience.
Are you sure it is an allergic reaction to silicone (or just silicone)? Is it possible that it is not a reaction to another material in the compression hose (ie latex)? Have you been to an allergist to get an exact diagnosis/tested for silicon or latex allergy? It might not be an allergic reaction, but a skin reaction/dermatitis to some material (There is actually a big difference between the 2 and an allergist would be able to determine that). If you are actually allergic to any of the materials in the stockings, you need to take precautions in the future so you do not go into anaphylaxis.
Rashes/reactions can also just happen without being sensitive to the material. Compression hose can hold in heat (and sweat, etc), especially during summer/humid weather- sometimes people get reactions similar to diaper/heat rash from the tightness of the stockings.

No matter what the type of skin reaction it is, I would think Jobst is not responsible.

Aug 5, 2018
It makes no sense to me that a consumer could purchase a medical device product at a store and experience a severe allergic reaction to the radical and Long Lasting extent I have without someone being responsible for this Ultra Bad repercussion.
People have died from allergic reactions to Latex and have gone into a coma.

This is a Known experience and posted on many internet resources before it happened to me.
But, the company had No Duty to share this with a consumer? I entirely disagree.
And, I hold the FDA at fault for being far too lax and offering No guidance on this.
Allergic reactions are Very serious life experiences. I will have permanent scaring from this. Permanent Scaring-- how is that OK??? This is not ok. This is a Dangerous product with life threatening ramifications from normal use. This company has been around for a long time. This is a company without ethics and their Oh Shucks attitude is appalling and unconscionable. America has given companies God like status. Look at how congress reacted to FB's Zuckerberg's recent testimony on how a ton of personal data was readily provided to Cambridge Analytics. Congress did Nothing to curb this b/c of the love affair American has with The Corporation. In my world Human Beings are more precious and important than The corporation. And, due to this exalted adoration of The Corporation my life has been Hell for a month and counting. The repliers here ought to go and read some of Ralph Nader's books and watch his video on "Breaking through power" If it wasn't for Ralph Nader a Whole Lot more of us would be dead, maimed or severely and permanently diminished as the Corporate entities walk all over us and Rein Supreme. Ralph said that Products need to be Safe and he's done more to protect us than any other regulatory body I can think of.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
It makes no sense to me that a consumer could purchase a medical device product at a store and experience a severe allergic reaction to the radical and Long Lasting extent I have without someone being responsible for this Ultra Bad repercussion.
People have died from allergic reactions to Latex and have gone into a coma.

This is a Known experience and posted on many internet resources before it happened to me.
But, the company had No Duty to share this with a consumer? I entirely disagree.
And, I hold the FDA at fault for being far too lax and offering No guidance on this.
Allergic reactions are Very serious life experiences. I will have permanent scaring from this. Permanent Scaring-- how is that OK??? This is not ok. This is a Dangerous product with life threatening ramifications from normal use. This company has been around for a long time. This is a company without ethics and their Oh Shucks attitude is appalling and unconscionable. America has given companies God like status. Look at how congress reacted to FB's Zuckerberg's recent testimony on how a ton of personal data was readily provided to Cambridge Analytics. Congress did Nothing to curb this b/c of the love affair American has with The Corporation. In my world Human Beings are more precious and important than The corporation. And, due to this exalted adoration of The Corporation my life has been Hell for a month and counting. The repliers here ought to go and read some of Ralph Nader's books and watch his video on "Breaking through power" If it wasn't for Ralph Nader a Whole Lot more of us would be dead, maimed or severely and permanently diminished as the Corporate entities walk all over us and Rein Supreme. Ralph said that Products need to be Safe and he's done more to protect us than any other regulatory body I can think of.
To reiterate: THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL DEVICE. It is a garment sold without a prescription.

"People have died from allergic reactions to Latex and have gone into a coma." This is true, and the manufacturer is not at fault for the reaction.

Aug 5, 2018
The FDA calls this A Medical Device. This was confirmed by them in 2 separate calls . Do you work at this company, BSN Medical? Have U ever had a severe allergic reaction?

Sep 19, 2015
One thing to consider about the comments here -- if people that have no stake in this do not find the argument convincing, take those comments into consideration so as to build up a stronger argument. If people here are not convinced, how will regulators, an insurance company, or a jury react?

Just because people are not convinced does not mean that they are company apologists or employees.

I have allergies; asthma runs in my family (the type that needs an epi-pen) so I am aware of the issues. But life is not without risks, and it is impossible to predict how everyone's immune system will react.

Look at peanuts; many people have a severe reaction, and that is why there is labeling when something is made in a factory that handles peanuts. There is not a warning that says "you may get a rash or die if you have an unknown allergy to peanuts" on the label.

Mar 17, 2015
I also have allergies, one to latex in fact. I have to read labels very carefully, it is on me to know what is in the product I am purchasing. It is the responsibility of the corporation to inform me of what is in the product. If the corporation did not inform a user that there was silicone in a product and there was, then this is negligence. Allergic reactions are not pleasant. I am truly sorry this outbreak has caused you so much hardship.
If you are having to work at home for a medical reason, you,ay be covered under the family medical leave act, may being the operative word. You would need a doctor to put this in writing.
Sometimes bad things happen in life and it is no ones fault. If you truly believe you have a case, then by all means contact a local attorney to see.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Again, you haven’t answered this- did the box state the stockings contained silicone?

If it doesn’t- you might have a legal case. If it did- you probably find.

I would suggest that you retain an attorney. If you have a case there will be an attorney who will take it.
We aren’t attorneys or doctors or the FDA so this is beyond the realm of assistance we can give.

Sep 19, 2015
Perhaps you should go to an allergist and have the skin prick tests so as to know your exact allergies and read the labels. Are you sure it is just silicone and not latex?

Should there be a warning label on every item that says "any and every component of this product may cause an allergic reaction or death" warning on every product.

Aug 5, 2018
Did Ralph Nader pause when he learned the gross product negligence in cars, etc. before deciding to share the facts and concerns he found with us? Do U wish he'd reconsidered his warnings & kept it to himself b/c not ALL products cause harm? History has confirmed his judgment as right.

Apr 3, 2016
I know you are hurt and angry over the situation. It could be many things - including a reaction to detergent if you bought a new one to wash them in (just supposing here). I think the resolution you want is well beyond the scope of these forums and you may want to consult a lawyer if you want to put a claim in against Jobst.

Oct 13, 2015
Did Ralph Nader pause when he learned the gross product negligence in cars, etc. before deciding to share the facts and concerns he found with us? Do U wish he'd reconsidered his warnings & kept it to himself b/c not ALL products cause harm? History has confirmed his judgment as right.
Faulty products are not the same as allergic reactions. Companies that put out products that endanger the public absolutely deserve to be punished.

Allergies are a whole different issue. I'm willing to bet money that just about everything in the food and pharmacy aisles has the potential to trigger an allergic reaction in someone. I'm an optometrist and I know that every solution and every eye drop out there carries that risk. We have 6 Epi-Pens in the house right now. I get how awful allergies can be but unless the package lied, it's just an unfortunate event and this is how a lot of us find out about previously unknown allergies. I developed a thankfully brief allergy to chocolate in my 20's and while it sucked, I didn't think it was Godiva's fault.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. Allergies can come without warning; I discoverd I have hives (apparently it lives in your blood forever) when I got hauled off an airplane and taken to ER from the Newark airport. It was quite a scary adventure. I have had all the tests, and I'm not allergic to anything. I may have missed this while reading your thread, but what does your doctor have to say? Have you seen a specialist? Seems to me that's the logical place to start determining the reason for your terrible reaction to the stockings.

Sep 19, 2015
Please know that no one here is diminishing the fact that you are in pain and have suffered. I had an allergic reaction to an oral antibiotic and felt that my skin was burning from the inside out. I have never had a reaction to an antibiotic before and now I keep away from that entire "family" of antibiotics and am certain that it is documented everywhere. This only gives me a hint of what you have felt which is much much worse. And the situation with your job is terrible.

Silicone is a naturally occurring element that is used in many medical devices. There is always a chance that any substance may cause an allergy. The potential for an allergic reaction does not make a product into the equivalent of the Ford Pinto.

There are limits to what advocacy can do. Once an insurance company denies a claim there is an appeal process and once that is exhausted there is the legal process. No one here can help with the legal process.

Status
Not open for further replies.