Selling a house

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2019
Wondering if anyone has sold a house with "We Buy Ugly Houses"? Have to sell our parents home who live in another state and cannot travel to make or do any renovations? Want to sell as is. Thanks

Sep 19, 2015
Wondering if anyone has sold a house with "We Buy Ugly Houses"? Have to sell our parents home who live in another state and cannot travel to make or do any renovations? Want to sell as is. Thanks
Why not consult a local real estate agent or 2 for their opinion and assessment. I would not trust a business with such a name.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
the real name is homevestors

they are a franchise company with offices in multiple states. So if you want, to call they will send someone out to give you an offer/ evaluation.
you are under no obligation to say yes.

But do check out their site for more/better info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 19, 2014
FWIW, I would contact a real estate agent and have them give you guidance.

The offers that you receive with the companies such as the one you listed are usually way below market price. If you want a quick sale, and are willing to take an offer significantly below market price for a quick close, then these companies may be right for you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Charpat, it's very tempting to engage a company like this, but probably not a good idea. I would have a look at the local newspaper to see which RE agencies are active in that town and give three of them a call. All RE agents will be eager to "get the listing", so it should not be a big burden on you to get the place sold "as is". They'll go look at it, and they'll tell you what's what. You can pick the agent who is not sugar-coating his opinion of the property ... that's the kind of agent you want to work with on a long'distance basis. But please do your research before giving that person the listing. How long has it been since you laid eyes on your parents' house? Do you know for sure that it's an "ugly house"? If there any family member or friend close enough to have a look at it, that would be very helpful. This is both a sad and difficult situation, I wish you good luck ... please let us know the outcome.

Dec 12, 2014
I used them about 15 years ago because I had a property which I needed to unload fairly quickly that needed a lot of work that I didn't have time to for. The price was below market, but about what I was actually expecting. Closing also went smoothly.

Won't hurt to have them take a look & make you an offer.

Apr 24, 2019
I personally wouldn't suggest to go for a company with such a weird name. Go for a credible real estate agent instead. You can find them offline as well as online. Either way, you can start on your own with real estate maintenance. Repair any damages done to the property. Improve curb appeal too. Thereafter, you can put the property on sale. Start advertising or consult a really good real estate agent!

Jan 30, 2018
There are a number of these companies around. They specialize in properties that have some kind of defect and therefore are difficult to sell in the normal way. In fact, we sold our sinkhole damaged house in Florida to such a company (not the one the LW mentions) after we settled with the insurance company. Under the circumstances, it was a blessing to be rid of the property. However, for a property in decent condition, I certainly agree with those who recommend contacting a real estate company in the area and getting their opinion.

Aug 29, 2015
I have invested in real estate for years, and know many who do. I would start by getting some real estate agents there first. Let them know you want to sell as is, and ask what theblocal market is like.

Does the home have structural defects or just need updates? Plenty of young people and flippers will buy a home with good bones and give it a facelift. You’ll get more from them than from homevestors. A real estate agent works on commission, and may have a list of people looking in the area.

Dec 17, 2018
I have invested in real estate for years, and know many who do. I would start by getting some real estate agents there first. Let them know you want to sell as is, and ask what theblocal market is like.

Does the home have structural defects or just need updates? Plenty of young people and flippers will buy a home with good bones and give it a facelift. You’ll get more from them than from homevestors. A real estate agent works on commission, and may have a list of people looking in the area.
This is what I was thinking. Probably do better listing it as a fixer upper "as is" with RedFin over doing this. Probably make at least a little more.

Apr 24, 2019

Absolutely correct! You can go for a handyman to repair all the damages. Moreover, they charge less fees as compared to a contractor.

Apr 8, 2019
Have used them and they offer a low-ball price, but if it needs work which you do not want to perform this and sell "AS IS" this is the way to go. HOWEVER, there are several items which you must watch for in the contract such as: agent fees, contingencies such as must meet current building codes, who pays closing costs, property taxes, how the closing is handled (hopefully through a legit title company) including if an escrow account is set up and money transferred. Remember that you as the seller are aware that they are going to resell the property for a profit.
Check them out on the Secretary of State website, as well as local Clerk of Courts, and State Realtor website.
Good Luck.

Sep 12, 2015
FWIW, there was a very interesting article in the NYT last week about the new trend to selling your house directly to a real estate company, without all of the hassle of the normal real estate process. Apparently, all the big nationwide firms are experimenting with it (e.g., Coldwell Banker, Keller Williams), plus all the big online companies (e.g., Redfin, Zillow). Perhaps the OP might want to look into it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/07/business/economy/ibuying-real-estate.html

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Absolutely correct! You can go for a handyman to repair all the damages. Moreover, they charge less fees as compared to a contractor.
Not likely that you can use a handyman for repairs to a house. Most govt agencies (city, county) require a licensed contractor perform any real work (electrical, plumbing, etc). Handymen can hang pictures and change lightbulbs.
You need permits submitted by a contractor which include architect drawings in our city/county.